• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT or not?

go.duesouth

Reaction score
Visit site
Been lurking here for a while and have decided on adding a NC700 to my stable. The question is which? DCT or clutch? I'd love to hear from anyone who has ridden both and why you chose what you got. I'm thinking of slapping some tires and stuff for off road adventures. I'll probably buy used, as it will bug me to no end if I buy a new one here in the US and then watch Honda release the 750 a few months later, if they do. The DCT appeals to me more, easier to ride, ABS, no helmet slapping from shifting when riding 2 up. However, with the weight gain, price gain, and power loss, I'm not sure it's worth it and they are hard to find used. I can find regular ones here for between $5-6k, which saves a lot of $$ for farkle. I'm also not against paying more for the DCT if it's worth it. If my wife would let me have 4 motorcycles, this wouldn't be a problem. Sometimes I just don't understand her... Thoughts? --On the DTC, not the wife ;)

Well, if you are looking to buy used, you will find more manual ones than DCT ones. I prefer the DCT, but the shifting is just as smooth if you shift manually, just takes some practice (so no helmet slapping).

I have the 750X DCT and have loved all of the 370 miles so far.

I test rode the manual and DCT versions last summer, first the manual and then straight onto the DCT.

I loved the DCT so much I bought one, but I reckon they are subjective, I think you'll either love it or hate it.

Best thing to do is get a test ride on both like I did.

Hope that helps.

What power loss for the DCT?

If you are going off road. ABS could be an issue, it is not switchable. Maybe you could pull the fuse (I don't' know, never done)

BUT You can trick it: Stand it on the center stand. switch to Drive mode. Let the wheel spin, after about 30 seconds the ABS light will blink rapidly. (temporarily disabled.) It will stay that way until you shut down the bike, properly, and start it again.

i could be wrong, but my understanding is the DCT has 47hp, and the clutch has 51hp. I don't know if that's enough to notice or not, but taking into account the added weight, maybe?? Did you guys feel any seat of the pants power difference with the DCT?

At first I was worried about the ABS, but then decided that any position where modern day ABS would be a problem is a place where I likely wouldn't be on the NC (or any heavy adventure bike), at least not knowingly.

I know I should test drive them both, but here in Utah, it seems like dealers aren't to hip on test drives anymore, or at least the Honda dealer I talked to.

I joined this site back in Oct. to actually find out more about the DCT. Really couldn't find any negative comments about the automatic version since then. I went thru the same thing your going thru. I ended up buying the clutch version last week and only have about 80 miles on it now but like it. Still questioning myself on the purchase since I really wanted the Auto with the ABS since I do have multiple bikes in case I feel the need to use my clutch hand. I thought about waiting around to see if we would ever get the 750 over here but like I said on another post I'm an older rider, retired and impatient because my riding days are numbered. Go with the DCT and let me know if you made a mistake. :)

i could be wrong, but my understanding is the DCT has 47hp, and the clutch has 51hp

yes you are wrong the DCT has more bhp @51...geared 47.
I've had geared bikes all my biking life and I've now got the DCT700 and love every minute riding the bike.
its what I would call a LAZY mans bike.

... in case I feel the need to use my clutch hand.

I have the DCT and I feel the need to use my "clutch hand" constantly while riding: to signal, downshift, etc..., but also to adjust my visor and jacket zipper, wave, reach back to make sure GIVI top case is latched or forward to do the same for the frunk. About the only thing I don't feel the need for is operating the clutch or finding myself in the wrong gear at a bad time. I really sucked my one time on a manual bike: the basic MSF course. My cage is a 5-speed manual WRX and occasionally I'll stall it or miss a gear. Have had the DCT for over a year commuting in heavy city traffic and haven't missed a gear or stalled it yet! :D

dct

I have had both models, i really liked the standard model. I wanted a dct model but all of mine were sold in both stores. As you know i just bought a new dct, i used the excuse, of not having one to make dct plates to my wife and it worked. I really like the dct, i am building my bike as we speak, but last weak could not help myself and ventured of road down a two track trail, without my tkc tires, and have not installed my winch yet, well i did get it stuck in a deep rut by myself. And how i got it out was to stand on the right side, in gear, take my left hand on the rear grab rail, pull the bike forward, and using the throttle to slowly spin the rear tire, i did get out this way, the red clay was very slippery. This would have been much harder to do with the standard model. And in traffic this thing is really nice, the other night on my way home thirty five minutes stuck on I 5. thanks dale

Good input. I agree with Longfellow, don't like the fact they detuned it, I wonder what exactly they did, and if it could be undone. My WR450 came corked up from the factory, but in 15 minutes it was freed up. My decision isn't any easier, but it's interesting to note that I've heard from more DTC owners. Think I'll keep an eye out for a DCT, even if I have to fly to get it, I'm in no rush at the moment. That may change as things warm up a bit and I'm left out of the adventure riding fun. Until then, I'll look forward to Hondabikepro's skid plate. I've wondered if the DTC would come in handy off-road. Hondabikepro did you notice a weight disadvantage when riding in the dirt? And before you ask, yes, I do suffer from paralysis by analysis...

Here's 85 more posts in the link below you can read on DCT vs manual, but it probably won't decide it for you, since it's split about 53%-47%. "Tom" likes to shift, "Joe" doesn't like to shift, "Bob" likes ABS, "Jane" could take it or leave it, is pretty much the extent of the conversation. You just gotta decide who you are.

I've ridden them both. I bought a manual, but I could live with either one.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/3817-poll-dct-standard-what-do-you-have-what-do-you-want.html

Last edited:
I do feel a little more weight, but it is down low and does not bother me. If you put a little rear brake on, and load the clutches, you can stand on the pegs and turn full lock circles, much easier then on the standard model.

Rode a demo manual then bought DCT. I have never regretted decision. I have ridden with several others that have lusted after my DCT on twisty roads.

I do frequently override for down shift either for engine braking or getting set up to pass. But that said easier to push downshift button than make a manual shift in same situation. Shicting gears leaned over in turn a non issue.

Suzuki Hayabusa and this in my stable. I would choose this everyday for the fun and convenience element of it. The DCT is so easy to live with. None of the stress of changing gear, pressing clutch. With the upright position its just awesome. In the UK we have both the 700 and 750 DCT but i would go for 700 all day long as it has combined ABS which the 750 does not have. This is a cost saving on the new 750. It does have ABS though. With a DTC I find the combined works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know beans about this topic, but if the DCT models are genuinely hard to find on the used market that alone would speak well of them to me.

heres the fact from the late Kevin Ash..

THE FACTS
Honda NC700S
Price/on sale: £5,850/now
Power/torque: 47bhp @ 6,250rpm/44lb ft @ 4,750rpm
Top speed: 115mph
Fuel tank/range: 3.1 gallons/200 miles

THE FACTS
Honda NC700X
Price/on sale: £5,850/January 2012 (DCT version, April 2012)
Power/torque: 47bhp @ 6,250rpm/44lb ft @ 4,750rpm
Top speed: 115mph (est)
Fuel tank/range: 3.1 gallons/210 miles

This means that the rev counter’s red line is drawn at a lowly 6,500rpm, and all you get is a gentle 47bhp, fitting the new A2 licence category
(or 51bhp with the automatic transmission option).

the reason why the DCT has a slightly more bhp is due to the dual clutch etc.
oh and half the b**gers on the UK forum couldn't tell the difference from a goose to a moose;)

Last edited:
My dealer did not have a DCT. Would have like the chance to test drive one but since I don't know any better I'm good with my manual. If I'd had the option I could see myself buying the DCT though.

If/when the 750 S comes to the US I will probably trade up and get the DCT.

Last edited:
Only complain I have is that because there is no clutch lever on the left handle i would have liked to see the rear break lever there. That would make it all symmetric. It feels a bit odd not to have any lever on the left side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The poll was interesting, but most was not what I was looking for. A lot of guys know exactly what they wanted and got it without trying the other. I mostly wanted to hear from those who have ridden both and why they chose what they did because I'm on the fence, I like the characteristics of both.

I think it will end up 80% on the street and 20% exploring the vast and remote open spaces of the west(off road), and I haven't found a lot of DCT info for off road and my only hesitation with the DCT is it's off road character, haven't found a lot of guys dual sporting them like the standards. If someone has, I'd love to hear about it.

Found a dealer that has them both, will see if they will let me test drive.

Back