• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT owners..just curious

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
As I got caught in the rain again today (frequent occurrence lol) I just wondered, when riding in the rain, how many of you DCT owners switch to Rain Mode? (BTW I do not).

As my younger brother who has a T-120 Bonneville with ride modes says " I don't need a stinkin' computer to tell me to slow down in the rain." lol

So do you use Rain Mode when riding in the rain?

I think rain mode has more to do with the abs algorithm than motor performance for most bikes.

I think rain mode has more to do with the abs algorithm than motor performance for most bikes.
I don’t think that is a correct assumption for the 2021 NC750X. The Honda operator guide describes the parameters for the riding modes. ABS algorithm is not one of the parameters mentioned.

4CAB6988-6198-4196-8548-0386783EDD66.jpeg
D15A3DF4-92E2-4BC4-9EDF-CB8DC436C14C.jpeg

I was mostly interested in how many riders actually use the rain mode, and if it is even worth having on a motorcycle. I mean if no one uses it, is it a useful feature?

It’s the fall season in many areas……..wet leaves can be a slippery as ice. They are offering you a choice.……riders decision to use the feature.

Never used it on the NC. Have never used it on my Goldwing either. I do however keep my VFR traction control at its highest setting all the time which is the default setting.

On my Goldwing I use rain mode.

It works really well on dirt roads. The 'wing has a 200 mm rear tire that kinda rolls around on top of loose gravel and breaks loose easily when accelerating.

Imho, offroad training on slippery surfaces prepares a rider for pretty much anything she/he can encounter on the road, except oil spill or similar of course. Nothing can prepare You for that as I once found out on a Z1300. :(

What year did rain mode start? It's not on my 2013 or 2016. And if it was, I definitely wouldn't use it. Need rain mode, use throttle control.....especially on these bikes with such little power. I feel most things like that is just a marketing ploy to extend the features list when a new model comes out.

What year did rain mode start? It's not on my 2013 or 2016. And if it was, I definitely wouldn't use it. Need rain mode, use throttle control.....especially on these bikes with such little power. I feel most things like that is just a marketing ploy to extend the features list when a new model comes out.
I think for the NC, it started with the throttle by wire 2021 model. The various modes would be easier to implement with TBW than with a cable driven throttle body.

My Honda Ridgeline has mud, sand, and snow modes (but oddly, no tow/haul mode). I never use any of them. Like you said, it seems to be a bit of a Honda marketing ploy.

My Zero has modes, and they do make a huge difference in the throttle sensitivity, power delivery, regeneration, and top speed limiter. I guess modes can have some value to the right person.

I think for the NC, it started with the throttle by wire 2021 model. The various modes would be easier to implement with TBW than with a cable driven throttle body.

My Honda Ridgeline has mud, sand, and snow modes (but oddly, no tow/haul mode). I never use any of them. Like you said, it seems to be a bit of a Honda marketing ploy.

My Zero has modes, and they do make a huge difference in the throttle sensitivity, power delivery, regeneration, and top speed limiter. I guess modes can have some value to the right person.
Yep, for sure. That Yamaha FJ-09 I have (and hope is sold Sunday) has A mode, Standard (STD) mode, and B mode, for engine power. A is full power but throttle input is twitchy, Standard (STD) mode is a middle ground mode. B mode is the most conservative mode. But the FJ-09 is way faster than the NC, and I could see the power modes benefitting newer riders, but don't feel any of that is necessary on the NC.

As I got caught in the rain again today (frequent occurrence lol) I just wondered, when riding in the rain, how many of you DCT owners switch to Rain Mode? (BTW I do not).

As my younger brother who has a T-120 Bonneville with ride modes says " I don't need a stinkin' computer to tell me to slow down in the rain." lol

So do you use Rain Mode when riding in the rain?
I have tried rain mode in the rain and it seems to me that it’s only in response to the throttle control, as if I engage the throttle in rain mode as opposed to standard It seems to have less of a power response which would make it seem like it has more traction control, since you can’t completely turn off traction control. I failed attempting a burnout of my stock tires before replacing them (in manual and custom power mode, which can’t go higher than the settings in “power” mode), maybe due to that or possibly of lack of raw power from the NC in general.

I use it. Don’t really need it, as feel pretty confident in rain and know to take it easy. But I’ve got it, so might as well. Lol.

I also use it when I’m feeling thrifty. I think of it as a kind of “eco” mode. The slower throttle response and lower shift points help when trying to hyper mile.

I use it. Don’t really need it, as feel pretty confident in rain and know to take it easy. But I’ve got it, so might as well. Lol.

I also use it when I’m feeling thrifty. I think of it as a kind of “eco” mode. The slower throttle response and lower shift points help when trying to hyper mile.
If it didn’t reset to standard after every ignition cycle, I might use the different modes more.

When I bought the bike I tried rain mode and thought "eh, what the big deal?" Last weekend I got caught in a pretty good rain and I flipped modes between standard and rain. I feel the rain mode makes the bike feel more "planted". Not sure how to describe "planted". I got caught in the rain again on Tuesday morning skirting the edge of another storm. I used rain mode again and got the same planted feeling. I'll probably use rain mode whenever there is a steady rain that is more than a sprinkle or mist. As soon as I am on drier roads I go back to standard mode.

Back