• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT riders, which mode?

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so in my quest to learn more about the DCT's trans... and hearing that the 2021 with have shorter gearing in 1st, 2nd and 3rd for brisker acceleration and taller in 4th 5th and 6th for fuel economy, (which may skew this question),
what mode do you DCT users find yourself using the most D, S1, S2?

Also how many of you DCT owners have had to do the DCT reset? Often? One video I watched recommended doing it every 1500 miles?

I've got a 2015 DCT, so just D & S. When I use automatic mode I'm in S almost always. However, I'm in manual mode 99% of the time and use the paddle shifters (i.e., "clutchless" shifting). I also installed the foot shifter a few years ago and use that as well.

Last edited:
Have either of you had to do the DCT reset?

bigbird..on a humorous note, as a primitive bowyer I once made an Osage bow (it's a yellow wood when freshly cut) that I backed with Ostrich sinew and named it "Big Bird". Turned out to be a good bow.

My initial slow driving leaving my garage with a cold engine the first few shifts in D mode are a bit noisy and not jerky but more lungey.
I chalk that up to the viscosity of the cold oil.
After about 1 minute of riding, the shifts are smooth and quiet.
I see no need to do the reset. My bike only has 1100 km on it.

I'm a ham radio operator, but played with CB back in the 80's when it was very popular. I watched Sesame Street with my kids when they were young.
They came up with my CB handle, "bigbird".

I used to use D more often than I do now. So when not in Manual I'm usually in S but If I'm on the highway or open roads I'll put it into D for the gas mileage savings.
I've got a 2015 DCT, so just D & S. When I use automatic mode I'm in S almost always. However, I'm in manual mode 99% of the time and use the paddle shifters (i.e., "clutches" shifting). I also installed the foot shifter a few years ago and use that as well.
Greg how do you like to foot shifter? where did you pick it up from I've never seen one for sale only heard about them on the forums.

D mode when relaxed light-traffic riding.
If I need instant quick acceleration, I just use the downshift lever.
In around town stop and go, I use S1.
I’d agree with Bigbird. I have a 2018 model so I have D, S1, S2 and S3

Most of my riding is in D. Spirited riding in S1, but that is occasional. In city traffic S1 can have some advantages. In my normal riding if I need to I can override D by using the paddles but honestly for most riding that is not necessary.

if you are coming off a big displacement bike you may find S1 to your liking. I’m happy to roam in D.

Ok, so in my quest to learn more about the DCT's trans... and hearing that the 2021 with have shorter gearing in 1st, 2nd and 3rd for brisker acceleration and taller in 4th 5th and 6th for fuel economy, (which may skew this question),
what mode do you DCT users find yourself using the most D, S1, S2?

Also how many of you DCT owners have had to do the DCT reset? Often? One video I watched recommended doing it every 1500 miles?
The choice of transmission and driving modes is very much personal preference and HIGHLY dependent on your riding style and use of the throttle.

I run the transmission calibration procedure after each oil change at the the end of a ride with the bike fully warmed up.

The choice of transmission and driving modes is very much personal preference and HIGHLY dependent on your riding style and use of the throttle.

I run the transmission calibration procedure after each oil change at the the end of a ride with the bike fully warmed up.
Yes, I fully understand how the choice of modes can be different for each rider. Just trying to get a feel for what the majority feel comfortable riding in. A baseline for experimentation/comparison so to speak. So far seems most are happy with D or S1 if not using the paddle shifters. I'm sure after a ride or 3 I'll figure out what works best for me too.

I honestly don't see me using the paddle shifters much personally. Ordered the DCT to get rid of me having to do the manual shifting lol.

I had a 2015 with just Sport and Drive. I rode it fluidly in and out of D & S & Manual, overriding the computer in auto as I saw fit, kind of how we ride manual transmission bikes. Sometimes we short shift and dawdle and other times we are wringing it's neck. It’s hard to generalize as it’s not really a set it and forget it thing if you are into getting the most out of it. Plus if you are like me it takes many thousands of miles to optimize how the bike can be ridden to use all of what's available. It's not that powerful especially coming off 100+hp bikes. It has plenty but it doesn't hurt to help it perform better than the programmed algorithmns.

For 30,000 miles I did not do a initialization. The DCT performed like Day One to me but then curiosity got the best of me and I did the procedure. I believe that gears 1-3 shifted slightly smoother after the reset but I did not see the need to do it again before selling it (about 3,500 miles).

Last edited:
2017 and I use S1 in conjunction with manual as needed. I do the reset when required but at most just twice a year with the main seasonal changes.

I honestly don't see me using the paddle shifters much personally. Ordered the DCT to get rid of me having to do the manual shifting lol.
The down shift paddle makes a nice "Push to Pass" button while in automatic mode. You can avoid the slight lag of a throttle induced down shift. Push it within a second or two of starting your pass or the bike will upshift back to its normal cruise gear.

2020, just bought in March. I'm just getting to know the bike so I'm staying in D except for an occasional burst of fun off the line. S1 is a lot smoother off the line and starting on a turn since it's not trying to shift so quickly. Long term, most of my miles arc highway commute. D mode will do me just fine and give me the gas mileage I want.

My 2015 has 64000 miles. most of those are in S mode with a switch to manual when I get up to speed.
I call D mode diesel mode because it feels like a low rpm diesel when it short shifts.
I also installed a foot shifter. I thought I would like it and use it more, but most of the time it gets ignored. Just easier to pull/ push buttons. For me it was a waste of money.
I also had to lengthen it so I could get my foot between the shifter and the foot peg. Don't know who it was made for , but they must have tiny short feet.
I also have another bike with the time wasting clutch and shifter.

Greg how do you like to foot shifter? where did you pick it up from I've never seen one for sale only heard about them on the forums.
It works very well - totally unnecessary of course but an interesting option for shifting. It was a factory option in Europe and Asia, but not US. The current Africa Twin DCT and the Goldwing DCT have the option.
I got mine from Japan.webbike.net several years ago. It’s part number 08U70-MGS-A50 for 2012-15 nc700x.

35K miles on CTX with DCT.
A strong opinion on this, Honda is very poor at marketing the DCT , here in USA.
Almost all media, writers, etc. talk about the Auto-modes and they and Honda forget
the best mode - Manual (actually semi-auto) because it will still auto down shift .

What Honda needs to do have the reviewers/newbies use Manual mode FIRST, for a bit and
then try the Auto modes. This would nuke the macho, I need to be in control posers.

80% Manual, 15% Sport (when looking for something beside the road) , 5% Dog Mode
is roll/go heavy traffic. Really recommend Manual in the twisties and when you want to stay
in a gear.

The down shift paddle makes a nice "Push to Pass" button while in automatic mode. You can avoid the slight lag of a throttle induced down shift. Push it within a second or two of starting your pass or the bike will upshift back to its normal cruise gear.
It's fun to go back and read this which I started before I got my DCT. I only have 310 miles so far but find myself using D and using the down shift paddle as hulkss commented on. I did try the paddle shifters and that was really cool and made the bike feel more like my normal manual shift bikes, but and I might play with that on occasion, but that's not why I bought the DCT, I bought it to let the bike shift for me. I tried sport mode and found it a little aggressive for the riding I am doing. Fun learning this though.

Today I rode my CB 1100 and it was fun great shifting, so I always have that to ride on any day I feel like shifting.

Back