• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT What Do We Think?

well I can say this ..I'm very pleased with my DCT.
I ride mostly 2 up.
in 'D' mode it does seem to change into the next gear rather early etc.
what we've got to remember is that in 'D' mode is for economy not do it all gears!
if theres a nice longish road with hard up's 'n' down and sharpish bends I put it in 'D' mode.
what I do is ride in 'S' mode in curvy roads with ups 'n' downs etc and once I'm on a straight road and at about 50mph in 'D' it goes.
if you find and choose the 'S' mode to be better for you're needs then that should be fine..just don't bother with 'D' mode at all.
most of you guys in the US and else will have much longer straight roads than us lot in the uk..'D' would be ideal...
get up to your required speed then put it in 'D'.
well thats my little lecture over ;)

I've ridden geared bikes most of my biking life with a couple of maxi scooters in between for commuting to work.
and I like the lazy mans twist and go.
I've alway have said its a pity we don't get bikes with auto gears(not belt), I don't like the aprilia mana.
then bang!! Honda has answered my prayers with the nc!!!.
I find it very relaxing and for once enjoying my rides out and especially not having to worry about where the next gas station.
the seat is nearly there for comfort but I'm sure when I get it redone later in the winter months it will be so comfy that I will not want to stop riding.
well thats what I'm hoping.
also I'm planning much longer rides now so thats must be good to me!!
the FRUNK is a big bonus too- no more top box !!
my wife likes my back rest and grab rail too.
I've got one word for this bike. FANTASTIK!!

Last edited:
To add, on the DCT model, there's a "thud" sound from neutral to drive, which is characteristic of HD, only softer. Quite like it though :lol:

This clip gives a good idea of the performance of the DCT at slow speed in traffic, both D and S mode in 'cockpit view'

Sounds like its lugging in D just at about :48 secs and there is a change from D to S if you look closely

http://youtu.be/-rKjtVnrjOE

well I can say this ..I'm very pleased with my DCT.
I ride mostly 2 up.
in 'D' mode it does seem to change into the next gear rather early etc.
what we've got to remember is that in 'D' mode is for economy not do it all gears!
if theres a nice longish road with hard up's 'n' down and sharpish bends I put it in 'D' mode.
what I do is ride in 'S' mode in curvy roads with ups 'n' downs etc and once I'm on a straight road and at about 50mph in 'D' it goes.
if you find and choose the 'S' mode to be better for you're needs then that should be fine..just don't bother with 'D' mode at all.
most of you guys in the US and else will have much longer straight roads than us lot in the uk..'D' would be ideal...
get up to your required speed then put it in 'D'.
well thats my little lecture over ;)

I've ridden geared bikes most of my biking life with a couple of maxi scooters in between for commuting to work.
and I like the lazy mans twist and go.
I've alway have said its a pity we don't get bikes with auto gears(not belt), I don't like the aprilia mana.
then bang!! Honda has answered my prayers with the nc!!!.
I find it very relaxing and for once enjoying my rides out and especially not having to worry about where the next gas station.
the seat is nearly there for comfort but I'm sure when I get it redone later in the winter months it will be so comfy that I will not want to stop riding.
well thats what I'm hoping.
also I'm planning much longer rides now so thats must be good to me!!
the FRUNK is a big bonus too- no more top box !!
my wife likes my back rest and grab rail too.
I've got one word for this bike. FANTASTIK!!

John, you forgot to say.... Manchester United Oi Oi Oi!!!!!!

I chose the DCT without hesitation and have never regretted it for a moment. I've had shifter bikes and I don't miss that part of it. That's funny too because I like manual transmission four wheeled vehicles.

At first I imagined that it was lugging a lot in D mode but I figured out that I was just feeling what I expected to feel. It really handles downshifts nicely. I only weigh 160 lb and I routinely go up I would estimate a 15% grade in sixth @~40 mph with no bucking or lugging. I almost always run in D now.

Mine goes into 6th at 37-38 mph on level ground @ constant speed.

I only tried manually shifting the DCT one time, it was a useless effort.

I have to go by feel as I have no idea what the engine sounds like. Above 10 mph all I can hear is wind noise in the helmet. I intend to start wearing ear plugs but have not yet.

This clip gives a good idea of the performance of the DCT at slow speed in traffic, both D and S mode in 'cockpit view'

Sounds like its lugging in D just at about :48 secs and there is a change from D to S if you look closely

NC700X DCT making short work of London traffic - YouTube

London cops and drivers must be very tolerant to such riding..... In NY area such rider wouldn't make it passed 2 blocks... :)

Last edited:

NC700X DCT making short work of London traffic - YouTube
I was aware the filtering is standard practice over there, but didn't know it was OK to cross center line to do it. Thanks for video to give the perspective.

broken centre line you're ok but if solid continuous line then its a no no.

Weren't you UK Chaps the one's who were telling us Yanks that we were crazy for lane splitting? I don't see much difference between our land splitting and your crossing over centerlines in London traffic! I guess it is just a matter of what a rider is used to doing?

Weren't you UK Chaps the one's who were telling us Yanks that we were crazy for lane splitting? I don't see much difference between our land splitting and your crossing over centerlines in London traffic! I guess it is just a matter of what a rider is used to doing?

well it wasn't me thats for sure

Funny, I have been tring to find out where I could get the parts from a NC700S to put the rear brake on the left handlebar like my Silver Wing Scooter. The other day, I had my feet on the highway pegs and had to make a fast stop. I was able to stop the bike with just the front brake with no problem. I do not want to do that again. Having the rear brake on the left handlebar would be so much better.

Funny, I have been tring to find out where I could get the parts from a NC700S to put the rear brake on the left handlebar like my Silver Wing Scooter. The other day, I had my feet on the highway pegs and had to make a fast stop. I was able to stop the bike with just the front brake with no problem. I do not want to do that again. Having the rear brake on the left handlebar would be so much better.

I had Silverwing (400cc) too. Love the maxi-scoot features. But NC brakes better, has more power and yet consumes less petrol, so I'm sold.

To do that, you will need a hydraulic left brake lever & reservoir (like SW) or hydraulic-based clutch lever & reservoir, and new longer brake hose. But I supposed you will lose the right foot brake lever function.

To me, the foot brake is good to free the hands and when you are slowing down or stationary at traffic lights or slope. So doesn't quite bother me. Learn to use it with front brakes.

I really am in love with my DCT. I have two bikes, one is a regular manual (Victory Cross Roads) with six speeds. Got 30K on that in two years. Now I have the DCT as a second bike. About 1K in miles so far and I am sold. I still enjoy my manual on weekends, but when commuting (which with traffic and rain and tourists...ugh) I appreciate the extra focus the DCT gives me to focus on the technical ride itself. I would not hesitate to buy any future bike with such a system. For the record I do S-mode 80% of the time and D-move when following a car (GF) or a car is following me. The only complaint is I wish I could set the default drive mode so it always turned on in S-mode.

I suspect the following people will benefit from having a DCT.

1. People with arthritis in the wrists or just weak in the wrists
2. People who cannot or will not manual shift (erm which country has the most Automatic transmission cars? :p )
3. People who want to have a smoking cigarette in the left hand while riding (yes I have seen these people)
4. People who are very technically advanced (or inclined towards technology)
5. People who are migrating "up" from those big automatic scooters...
:p

6. People who are stuck in stop-and-go rush hour traffic and have to squeeze the clutch lever two hundred and sixty four times on the way home.

YouTube
This would get you a major ticket in the States.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

YouTube

I don't get the fuss some people make about lugging. It sounds like lugging but it's a 270 degree twin. It's supposed to sound like that. I went 2 up through wales with camping gear and went up 20% narrow lanes with fences :) and hairpins. In D. Without any problems. It has sounded like lugging all the time climbing up but never skipped a beat or got in trouble. It's not a 3 or 4 cilinder, but it's not a 1 cilinder either. It's somewhere in the middle. 1600rpm to 2200 rpm it's fine.

Back