• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dead Motorcycle

VersusAllOdds

Reaction score
Visit site
This morning, when getting out of the house fully armored in my riding gear, I turned the key - and exactly nothing happened. It's as if the bike is 100% dead. No lights on the display, no sound, no headlights, nothing. As if it's switched off with a kill switch, only it isn't. I had to grab an Uber to work, so I had no time to investigate.

I'd also like to introduce you to a list of details:

- Battery is little more than a year old (I believe 15 months)
- The summers here are very hot and humid, and the battery has been in the bike throughout this entire summer with very little riding
- I've started regularly riding ~2 months ago, commuting at least 5 times a week
- Three weeks ago, it started raining intermittently every other day. I kept riding with no change to my schedule or the bike's operation. Roads were occasionally muddy, making my bike be pretty dirty on its underside
- What I did notice was a burning smell after riding in wet conditions
- Last time I rode was exactly 5 days ago, so there's a 5 days break when I didn't start it at all. For the past 5 days, raining has stopped, it was somewhat windy
- The temperature in the past weeks is around 20 degrees Celsius (around 68F)
- The conditions in my country are generally dusty - to very dusty (not all the time, but when it's dusty, man it's dusty!)

I first thought of the battery, however that would've been weird - the last battery I had had a demise through lighting up, and not being able to start the engine - but it did turn up some of the lights, and gave a clicking noise when I started the ignition. Now, there's no response whatsoever.

Maybe it has something to do with gunk getting into the cables or fuses or whatever.

Any help?

Check your battery terminals. Remove, clean and reattach the cables. Make sure they are tight.

This is a common symptom of an intermittent battery connection.

Cheap and easy fix if this is the problem. Best to rule out the basic possibilities first.

JT

Yes, check connections. This is a 'battery' issue, but that includes connections to the battery (and the other ends of those cables).
Be advised, it _could_ well be the battery itself. In a very hot climate, they sometimes fail as soon as you have indicated. I live in an extremely hot place, too, and batteries last MUCH less time in the heat than in any other climate.

Disconnect your battery connections (dont just pull on them or wiggle them)...clean the battery terminals and the battery cable connectors (small file works great). Reconnect and see what happens...Still same issue...probably DOA battery. test with a known good battery...

On the very night I made the first post, I turned the key again, seeing a very faint headlight. Therefore, I've correctly assumed it was the battery. Charged it at an electrician's shop and it's good as new... for now.

However, I've had trouble posting that on the forums - obviously, it was buggy and I couldn't reply.

Yuasa or Motocross is a quality brand of battery. Motocross is less costly.....made in tge same factory as Yuasa BTW.

Back