• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dealer inventory very low

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Stopped at my local Honda dealer.

1 month ago he had 6 to 8 Goldwings on the floor and probably 40+ other new Hondas. Yesterday there was 1 Wing, a used 2014 NC700x, a used Star Spirit, a Grom, couple of Monkey and Cub models. Some CB variants. He said he can't get shipments due to backlogs from Covid shutdowns. He's got a small dealership, so probably low on the priority ladder for shipments?

Anyone else notice the inventory low/gone at your local shop?

How will dealers stay in business if they have no inventory? The shop looked busy but at some point if the bikes are not available to sell people will move along to other brands or spend their bike money on something else.

I haven't been to a motorcycle shop in a long time, but I noticed reduced inventory across many products. Bicycles and accessories seem to be sold out or backordered. RV dealers have seen shrinking inventory due to the temporary plant shutdowns and now increasing demand.

That's the way it is right now, but some aspects of the current market may become permanent.

If you have a used motorcycle to sell, it's probably a good time. I sold 2 this year.

Both bicycle & RV demands have skyrocketed due to Covid. Not so for motorcycles.

RV demand is way up because people are afraid to stay in hotel rooms and eat in restaurants while they travel so it is very logical that RV demand would go way up. We make a lot of the nations RVs here in Indiana and I know the factories are building them as fast as they can. It was deemed an "essential" industry and allowed to remain open during the peak Covid period. Pedal bikes are in a resurgence because people have gained weight and are looking for an easy way to exercise and get outside and remain socially distant.

Motorcycle demand has been falling in most categories over the past several years. So from what I can tell the demand is not up, but rather the supply has become constricted due to factory shut downs as Covid has moved around the world wreaking havoc.

I'm guessing the inventory is low simply because the demand stayed the same but the shipments stopped. Just curious if/when Honda will be able to meet the demand? I know they closed a couple of their factories but I never heard if they reopened or how long they were closed.

Or does someone have information saying that demand is actually up? That would create a double problem for the industry putting twice the pressure on inventory.

(RV) "factories are building them as fast as they can" is one big really scary thought. Recreational vehicle build quality, compared to any other vehicles you can buy, is junk. If factories start trying to build RVs faster, the quality will be absolutely horrible. I'm glad now that I replaced my 25 year old RV last year, and didn't wait until this year.

Meanwhile, back to the motorcycle topic:

Just as much purchasing has gone away from brick and mortar stores to online and delivery, I think it's time to start selling motorcycles direct from warehouses and eliminate many small dealers. I would gladly go to a regional showroom to inspect the motorcycle, then accept a truck shipment of the bike direct to my home from a warehouse, or just pick it up at the warehouse myself. This can't work with all brands, but it can work with Honda because the quality is such that there is little very chance of ever needing warranty service. The last time I ever had any warranty work done on a néw motorcycle was 22 years ago, and it was just for a cosmetic issue that the dealer failed to fix anyway. I ended up repairing it myself.

I realize some people rely more heavily on dealers, but I have always bought on best price wherever that may be, and never had any reason to return to that dealership. For the last three new motorcycles I have purchased from three different dealers, I have never set foot in their stores again. I could have just as easily had the motorcycles shipped straight from the warehouse.

Those people that need and want local dealers will just need to give them enough business so the dealer can survive. But, if some dealers are hurting badly for lack of inventory or reduced public demand, it just may be the end of the line for them.

Last edited:
Bicycles, motorcycles, and quads have sold like toilet paper around here! I had a bicycle shop tell me he couldn't even get tubes for road bike tires as of now! Motorcycle showrooms that where full of bikes and quads in February, look like used car lots today! There seem to be fewer motorcycles on Craigslist than years past as well. I live on a fairly popular motorcycle route and notice more motorcycles come by than in the past. It use to be mostly crusers, but lately it been anything with a motor. People aren't going to just sit around and do nothing!
This year has brought a lot of changes, for instance, we garden and preserve (home can) lots of produce. I was shocked when I couldn't find quart canning jars within 50 miles! It seems lots of unemployed people have rediscovered gardening and home food preservation this year! I had a terrible time finding seed in the spring and should have seen this supply shortage coming.

I'm sure glad I bought my NC750X back in November!

Back