• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Denali DRL LED auxiliary light issue

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife rides a '16 NC700x and we added a set of Denali brand DRL LED lights to the front fork. They are mounted down by the wheel. Their purpose is to make the bike more conspicuous to oncoming drivers (the idiots who turn left in front of motorcycles and claim they "never saw" the motorcycle).

On the NC700x the Denali DRLs are hooked up to the light switch so the DRLs are on LOW when the headlamp is on LOW and the DRLs switch to HIGH when the headlamp is switched to HI.

TRIED to wire a set of the Denali DRLs the same way onto my '18 NC750x.

But because of the circuitry of the NC750x and its LED lighting system the option to wire HIGH/LOW beams the DRLs so the DRLs switch to HIGH/LOW does not work.

Contacted Denali and they acknowledged there might be a problem. A few days later they called back and said it would require an (added cost) auxiliary wiring harness (which they have not yet designed) to make the HIGH/LOW beams switch properly when wired into the headlamp control. At this point I have the lights set to HIGH beam all the time. I rarely night ride, but if I need to I can adjust the lights to shine a bit lower so as not to blind oncoming traffic at night.

Here is a video about the lights from Twisted Throttle:
[video=youtube;N8PzN9YwPaI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8PzN9YwPaI[/video]

Last edited:
I've been playing with an older Denali wiring loom that preceded the current 2.0 version.
But AFAIK, the Datadim technology they tout in dual intensity lights is controlled by the separate module which usually is an add-on.
As you posted, the lights are on HI by default without the module activating their proprietary PWM (pulsewidth modulation) wire- for low beam.
If you connect what they call 'hi beam trigger' wire to a manual switch (12v), instead of the OEM it should work.
This is assuming the 750x OE hi beam trigger wire does not provide the 12v that the Datadim module needs to work properly.
Have you measured it?

I've been playing with an older Denali wiring loom that preceded the current 2.0 version.
But AFAIK, the Datadim technology they tout in dual intensity lights is controlled by the separate module which usually is an add-on.
As you posted, the lights are on HI by default without the module activating their proprietary PWM (pulsewidth modulation) wire- for low beam.
If you connect what they call 'hi beam trigger' wire to a manual switch (12v), instead of the OEM it should work.
This is assuming the 750x OE hi beam trigger wire does not provide the 12v that the Datadim module needs to work properly.
Have you measured it?

I ordered the lights through my local Honda shop. The '16 NC700x was easy enough to wire up. The '18 left me baffled so I let the service department to try to figure it out since the lights came through the parts department. They were just as confused as I was. 3 trips to the shop and numerous conversations and the bike ended up left with them for a few days to try to solve the issue. They gave up and called Denali. Not sure if they put a meter on anything but Denali ultimately said its going to be an accessory loom.

I have no issue with them being left on BRIGHT all the time. The lights are unfocused wide spread diodes. The light spread pattern is 180 degrees vertically and horizontally so you see these little from the front and from the sides. They absolutely do NOT illuminate the path down the road. They are more like unfocused fog lamps spreading a wide beam. So all that said, even on the 100% BRIGHT setting I do not see these as blinding to oncoming traffic.

Quite surprised to hear the Denali support answer.
It's not that complicated to make it work. The internal tech (circuit design) is complicated-
They tout their PWM tech to be superior than any other on the market- which so far I have no experience with.
I am installing a pair of DM and D2's on my AT.

Of course, the dealer service tech will not try too hard :)
Why not call them directly?
Get the answer from the horses mouth?

Why not call them directly?
Get the answer from the horses mouth?
Because I'm a technological idiot. I can wire a home circuit. I can wire Olympic style Foils and Epees for fencing tournaments. But LED circuits that don't work in the same way as a simple analog circuit totally screw with my simple little mind. When I got frustrated I went for expert help. My local Honda shop is small, but they are really responsive and friendly and were happy to help out a clueless man with a befuddled look on his face.

For the money Twisted Throttle charges for this kit it should be plug and play. There are many small Cree LED lights on the market that cost 90% less and work as well as Denalis but they do not have the dual level or programmable brightness controller. Just wire them to any switched circuit and run on HI all the time. They don't bother other motorists even at night.

For the money Twisted Throttle charges for this kit it should be plug and play. There are many small Cree LED lights on the market that cost 90% less and work as well as Denalis but they do not have the dual level or programmable brightness controller. Just wire them to any switched circuit and run on HI all the time. They don't bother other motorists even at night.

What dduelin said, plus if you marry a cheap set of CREE lights to a Skene controller, you can program the lights for any brightness to want full time, at 10% increments, plus any separate brightness level you want when your hi beam is on. All that for what is probably a fraction of the cost of the Denali brand name.

Been having a long term ongoing conversation about my Denali DRL LED conspicuancy lights. Figured I'd post up the photos.

First let me say that these do NOT light up the roadway. They are cast a bright light over a wide field of view so you can be seen, not so that you see things on the road. That was my goal and for that, these are brilliant. If your goal is to light the roadway then these are NOT the lights for you.

FWIW, I have some other LED lights that were advertised as super bright. They are not. These are. Huge difference.

Below are the mounting photos.

EDBCBFA8-33D2-4DFE-878B-E405E29C2C03.jpg

7238ED3E-E16B-4D7C-BA10-832825737066.jpg

4B59E9CA-CD7E-4D62-B9A1-0187B0986808.jpg

C614EE90-2358-42A6-8355-EB66ABFC4B83.jpg

6C1A0C1B-92FE-4067-9144-F1460A86DD49.jpg

My wife rides a '16 NC700x and we added a set of Denali brand DRL LED lights to the front fork. They are mounted down by the wheel. Their purpose is to make the bike more conspicuous to oncoming drivers (the idiots who turn left in front of motorcycles and claim they "never saw" the motorcycle).

On the NC700x the Denali DRLs are hooked up to the light switch so the DRLs are on LOW when the headlamp is on LOW and the DRLs switch to HIGH when the headlamp is switched to HI.

But because of the circuitry of the NC750x and its LED lighting system the option to wire HIGH/LOW beams the DRLs so the DRLs switch to HIGH/LOW does not work.

Contacted Denali and they acknowledged there might be a problem. A few days later they called back and said it would require an (added cost) auxiliary wiring harness (which they have not yet designed) to make the HIGH/LOW beams switch properly when wired into the headlamp control. At this point I have the lights set to HIGH beam all the time. I rarely night ride, but if I need to I can adjust the lights to shine a bit lower so as not to blind oncoming traffic at night.

[video=youtube;N8PzN9YwPaI]

You might find what you need here ... https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/auxiliary-lighting-for-2018-nc750x.16641/

Last edited:

If you used the connector at the headlamp, blue/ white wire, I think only one get 12V that one connect to your 12V source and Black/red wire to trigger you high beam. It work with my Denali D4 2.0

Hey great thread. Just working on my Christmas wish list and came across the Denali DRL led lights. Thanks for the photos melonsdad. I mostly ride daylight only and sounds like these would be easily installed on my 2014 NC 750. Sounds like I would be able to wire to my headlight switch so that it works with high low beam as well as turning off with the key? Also interested in the brake light I believe it was called the B6 or something like that. Has anyone installed both?

Last edited:
Hey great thread. Just working on my Christmas wish list and came across the Denali DRL led lights. Thanks for the photos melonsdad. I mostly ride daylight only and sounds like these would be easily installed on my 2014 NC 750. Sounds like I would be able to wire to my headlight switch so that it works with high low beam as well as turning off with the key? Also interested in the brake light I believe it was called the B6 or something like that. Has anyone installed both?
My wife’s used to be wired to the headlight switch to do Low/High but I changed them to High all the time. And yes, they go off when the ingnition is off. Mine have always been wired to High.

I don’t have the B6 brake lights as I have other added lights back there, the B6 is new and was not available.

Last edited:

My wife’s used to be wired to the headlight switch to do Low/High but I changed them to High all the time. And yes, they go off when the ingnition is off. Mine have always been wired to High.

I don’t have the B6 brake lights as I have other added lights back there, the B6 is new and was not available.
Ok great I think I will wire mine high all the time as well as the plan is to be seen. Can I ask where you wired it to for just the high and can it just plug in or is it necessary to splice the wires in?

Yup this!

I used those new style quick taps which made for a simple job.
So on my 2014 I could just use the quick taps and hook to the high low beam switch and that’s it? Capemans post is a little to complicated for me lol.

So on my 2014 I could just use the quick taps and hook to the high low beam switch and that’s it? Capemans post is a little to complicated for me lol.

If all you want is to just power up a set of aux lights when the ignition switch is on (which is when the headlight comes on too), it's probably best to just install an auxiliary relay and subharness and pick up a 12V+ and ground wire from the subharness. Take this 12V+ and ground to your lights and they'll turn on and off with your ignition switch. Simple, clean, per Honda's design intent, and avoids trying to get into and break-out power from an installed wiring harness.

If all you want is to just power up a set of aux lights when the ignition switch is on (which is when the headlight comes on too), it's probably best to just install an auxiliary relay and subharness and pick up a 12V+ and ground wire from the subharness. Take this 12V+ and ground to your lights and they'll turn on and off with your ignition switch. Simple, clean, per Honda's design intent, and avoids trying to get into and break-out power from an installed wiring harness.
Probably a very good idea because As of now I have already hooked my heated jacket and gloves to the battery as well as my battery tender now I want to hook up the auxiliary lights next is going to be the B6 led brake light and I’m sure at some point I will want a USB port.

So if I got this right. Install a fuse and relay in the fuse panel for the 6 pin auxiliary plug. Then remove the side panels on the left side of bike to locate the plug. Next plug in a sub harness then connect to that and run wiring to my auxiliary lights. Just thinking while I have the panels off I might just as well install a USB port in the trunk. Is there anything else others have wired up that I may be interested in while I am at it??

Back