• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Distant Cousin - 1980s Honda Sabre v65? (fairing)

BigGuppy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Returning to my bike today, I met a couple gents admiring it. One said they rode Honda Sabre v65's back in the 80s and this bike looked a lot like it. (He also reveled in going 150mph on it, which gave me the willies--ah youth, etc.)

Being a new rider, I didn't recognize the bike, but I went looking afterward:

Honda Sabre - Wikipedia

Honda_VF750.jpg
1984_Honda_Sabre_V65_with_full_Hondaline_fairing,_engine_guard_and_backrest_rack_options.jpg

I can see the resemblance. I like the fairing...

IIRC the VF45 was Honda's first production V4 and was 750cc. The VF65 was 1100cc. The V4 was supposedly Sochiro Honda's favorite engine configuration but the 750s had lots of problems with camshaft wear and fuel system problems and nearly ruined Honda's "V4 revolution". The later 1100 cc versions were powerful and reliable and redeemed the engine configuration. My ST1300 can trace it's bloodline directly to the VF45. I love the V4.

I had a VF1000F "Interceptor" and it was a magnificent handler. On the right tires it was as stable as a freight train, but would change direction with not much more than a thought. Beautiful neutral steering. And that motor... w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l. For some reason the press didn't love that bike, seeming to prefer the FJ1100/FJ1200, but I had one of those as well and it was kind of a mess by comparison if you ask me. I think most of the journos of the day didn't spend much time getting to know the "F," since the racier "R" model was the rage, then on to the next thing. The FJ hung around a long time.

Later I got a V65 Sabre, thinking it would be similar to the VF but more comfortable, but that bike was an absolute pig in the corners. I've never understood how the same company could have made both, in the same years no less.

The ST1300 is another really nice handler. Better than the NC, at least to my taste. Mine was just too much bike. I could see having another though. Really don't we all just need one of everything?

By the way, the time of the VF1000F was one when bikes had driven tire requirements beyond the limits of contemporary technology. I literally changed rear tires on that bike more often than motor oil: 3k for tires, 5k for oil. Despite that I have very good memories of that bike.

Last edited:
Oh. One thing about that VF1000F that the NC could take lessons from? Its fairing parts all came off *so* *easily.* Four #3 philips for the main fairing (and a bit of trickery sliding it off in the correct direction), a few of the same IIRC for the chin, and the seat, tank and side covers could be off within a minute.

THAT, in my opinion, is how a motorcycle should be built.

I test drove an interceptor someone had for sale. Too fast for me. I knew it would get me into trouble. The engine had an AWESOME sound.

Back