• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DIY "Tank" Bag Holder

City Rider

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oooo boy, I was contemplating whether to post this or not, but I decided to take one for the sake of development, and I will accept any constructive criticism. Having a couple of shots of Jagermeister did not help much :p. Well, here it goes:
I was considering buying a Tank Bag with a tank lock so I can easily remove it from the bike when not needed. I did not like strap-on option (I've used it and I did not like it). So, since a tank lock option required drilling into the frunk lid and they (tank bags with tank locks) are ridiculously expensive, I came up with this (fully committed project which could cost me a new tank lid):

Screwed-on Tank Bag
(I still don't know how to call it).

This is what I've done:
1. Drilled two holes into the frunk lid.
2. Drilled two holes thru the bottom of existing tank bag.
3. Used nuts, bolts and rubber bushings to secure the tank bag against the frunk lid.
4. When not needed, tank bag can be removed and holes can be sealed using existing nuts, bolts and bushings.

Of course, I will improve the whole thing (user friendliness, more secure, and appearance), since I have only used material that I've had readily available.

Here are the pictures of the final product:
DYI Tank Bag1.jpgDYI Tank Bag2.jpgDYI Tank Bag3.jpg

Here is the quick project follow-up.
I decided to permanently install bolts which I've secured with matching nuts and rubber washers:
Tankbag5.jpg
I've also installed grommets on the bottom of the tankbag:
Tankbag4.jpg
Tankbag is secured from inside with set of wingnuts (I've also painted tankbag interior. It's easier to find stuff this way):
Tankbag3.jpg
The final product still looks the same:
Tankbag6.jpg
It's very secure even at highway speeds and when riding on rough roads. I essentially need a tankbag just for quick reach to water bottle/snack or charging cords. Also, on longer trips I prefer to have a map on front of me.
The only thing that I did not figure out is what to do with sticking bolts when tankbag is not installed, but it does not bother me much. I'm now riding with tankbag on at all times (it's $15 tankbag from cycle gear).

Good job! unfortunately for us, creators of NC aren't paying much of an attention to our needs. specially when bike just been released. they fixed it later, but could have been a little brighter. same for seat slope.
i hope i had enough tools and knowledge to create a different lid for a frunk. different slope,more room. and of course something to tight bag onto.
i personally like to lie on the "tank" sometimes and ride like that. slope on the picture would be much better for it :)

Attachments

• nc_tank.JPG
    nc_tank.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 322
Good job! unfortunately for us, creators of NC aren't paying much of an attention to our needs. specially when bike just been released. they fixed it later, but could have been a little brighter. same for seat slope.
i hope i had enough tools and knowledge to create a different lid for a frunk. different slope,more room. and of course something to tight bag onto.
i personally like to lie on the "tank" sometimes and ride like that. slope on the picture would be much better for it :)
not to mention larger frunk. I personally cannot lay on the 'tank" - my lower back would not allow it.

Back