• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DNA Air Filter

Whiteyez

Reaction score
Visit site
DNA known air filter company is now making an air filter for the NC700.

P-H7N12-01-WEB.jpg

P-H7N12-01FD.jpg

NC 700 S/X 12'-13'

I'm not seeking for a better performance, but is it possible with this kind of air filters to see a better fuel consumption? Does this void the warranty of the bike?

On a carbureted engine, you definitely can reduce fuel consumption by reducing intake restrictions.

The American EPA (environmental protection agency) says that their testing shows that there's no difference in fuel consumption between a clean vs. dirty air filter on modern, computer-controlled, closed-loop, fuel injected cars. A clean vs. dirty air filter is analogous to a stock vs. higher-flow filter.

An automotive analytical firm I work with says that their data shows improvements in fuel consumption between dirty and clean air filters (again on modern fuel-injected automobiles) at least sometimes.

Is the NC700 a closed-loop (oxygen sensor feedback-driven) fuel injection system? I thought it was, but I don't actually know for certain.

My concern with higher-flow aftermarket filters is always what it 'costs' me to get higher flow. If the cost is that I lose a bit of filtration efficiency, then I rarely or never buy the higher-flow filter. Where I live (and everywhere I've lived for nearly all my life) it is very dusty sometimes. As in, the sand/dust storms obscure the sun for a while. In this environment, I change air filters on my cars quite a lot more frequently than the owner's manual calls for. I have lots of analysis data that shows me that this is a beneficial practice. So, that is why in my environment I don't like to reduce air filtration efficiency. Perhaps things are different in other areas, or perhaps other people's preferred trade-off between flow and filtration is different than mine.

DNA known air filter company is now making an air filter for the NC700.

P-H7N12-01-WEB.jpg

P-H7N12-01FD.jpg

NC 700 S/X 12'-13'

I'm not seeking for a better performance, but is it possible with this kind of air filters to see a better fuel consumption? Does this void the warranty of the bike?

I don't know the answer about improvements in fuel efficiency, but I would like to think Honda designed a proper air filter for this bike. One major design goal on the NC700 was excellent fuel economy, so I find it hard to believe Honda engineers would put in an air filter that contradicted that goal.

Simply allowing more air to flow may not improve efficiency. If the air flow is already totally adequate, what would there be to gain? Also, allowing 1-2% of the dirt in would be bad.

Ask this air filter company for detailed test data specific to the NC700 to back up their claims and see what you get.

Greg

About the dirt.

Does the DNA filter provide the same level of protection as the OEM filter?

Yes and even better, the DNA filters have a filtering efficiency of minimum 98% (ISO 5011 test). Good quality OEM paper filters are from 97% to 99% and the foam filters are from 92% to 97%

F.A.Q

Dont be cheap on air cleaners, oil filters. And oil, it will cost you in the long run. The best filter for filtering fine microns are oiled paper. Honda always uses oiled paper on street bikes. They have to cover the bike for seven years of warranty in some cases, if the customer has extended warranty. If the bike is serviced with oe parts. If you have dirt in the intake tract, from a after market filter they will not cover any damages. Or if the glue in your oil filter comes apart from the oil your useing and destroyes your motor, i have seen this happen before, they will not cover it.

Dont be cheap on air cleaners, oil filters. And oil, it will cost you in the long run. The best filter for filtering fine microns are oiled paper. Honda always uses oiled paper on street bikes. They have to cover the bike for seven years of warranty in some cases, if the customer has extended warranty. If the bike is serviced with oe parts. If you have dirt in the intake tract, from a after market filter they will not cover any damages. Or if the glue in your oil filter comes apart from the oil your useing and destroyes your motor, i have seen this happen before, they will not cover it.

That sounds fair enough as why should they warranty other companies products

I understand your point, and I agree with the peace of mind afforded by using factory parts. For clarity as to what is actually required: _I've_ knowledge of Honda and their engineers being taken apart in legal proceedings, and forced to cover defects they had staunchly refused to on the basis of service items not being Honda-branded. If it _has_ to say Honda on the parts or fluids, it _has_ to be provided free-of-charge in the USA. That's the law here. If a dealer or Honda says it's the non-Honda-labeled item's fault, they have to _prove_ that.

Now, as far as finding dirt inside the intake tract, and choosing to cover the worn-out engine anyway just because there's a Honda filter in place-- That's an excellent good will gesture on the part of the dealer, and/or Honda USA. If that kind of good will is part of what one pays for by purchasing Honda-branded parts and fluids, that may very easily be reason enough to do so. Let's just don't confuse good will with legal requirements.

I agree with what you are saying, but if you want your bike to ride. Legal action should be the last step, it can take burn up a lot of rideing time.

I agree completely; Honda (dealers and importer both) should obey the law and fix defects under warranty. Purchasers should pay attention to and perform maintenance on time, and should not have to worry about coercion when they do.

If it does what its says, it seems to be a quality filter. But for $98.00 I think I will stick with the OEM for now.

Back