• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Do crashbars protect anything

jangermann

Reaction score
Visit site
Or is it just a place for the extra lights?

Givi, Sw motech ect. Crashbars do they protect the motor and plastic from scratched if the bike is tipped over?

Anyone with experince in dropping the bike? I just dont want to spend money on crashbars if they dont protect anything.

Givi, Sw motech ect. Crashbars do they protect the motor and plastic from scratched if the bike is tipped over?

Anyone with experience in dropping the bike? I just dont want to spend money on crashbars if they dont protect anything.

Don't expect miracles, but it could/will help. Of course, depending how hard you're gonna lay her down...
Couple months ago I thought I can turn around on small paved road, but I couldn't, and I let her rest for a couple minutes. If I didn't have crashbars it will leave a scratch or two, for sure. Maybe will even break the tupperware, who knows. And the plastic is REALLY expensive.
In my opinion, definitely worth it.

Absolutely! My bike was parked on the street a while back at a dealership. Apparently someone bumped into it, knocking it off its stand. The bike landed with the crashbars resting on the granite berm edge. I lucked out in that the section of the bars that hit the granite had a small storage bag attached and that is what hit the curb. Without the bars I wouldn't have had a bag attached there. End result was that absolutely no damage (not even a scratch) occurred! Are they protection in a true 'crash'? Probably not. Are they protection against everyday dings and dents? YUP!

I lowsided (~30 mph) and the SW bars protected my legs and generally reduced damage to the side of the bike. The brake lever and foot peg took a hit because they both stick out further, but all the plastic was fine as was the cylinder head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had tip over in a parking lot once with the Mutazu crash bars and they held everything up off the concrete. Just a couple scratches on the bar itself. Everything else was fine. They do stick out a bit further than most you'll buy, but I like them and they did help.

Hey J, i too had that thought-question when i looked at other NC's. When i purchased mine i did a lot of research looking for something that would work the best in the event of a mishap. I bought the wrap around light bar for the front(no protection really, just a light bar) and i purchased the best side/crash bar i could. I chose the Schmo-tech side bar and they both went together like they were from the same manufacturer. Months later, i found the guy out of Kharkov Ukraine, Mmoto is his shop. He has several different styles and he personally rides an NC so you know they will fit. If i had it to do all over again, i would purchase his bars as they appear to be the strongest and best ones (IMHO). Here is a link to one of his bars, go to his store and see the many others he makes if you'd like.

Honda NC 700 X Engine guard & Crash bars for manual gearbox Black Mmoto HON0163 | eBay

Here is a shot of the two set together.
Shad seats installed2 June 21st 2018.jpg

If I had to install new crash bars I think I’d look for those that stick out the way Illiumworks’ do on the BMW r1200rt - they take all the hit in a drop. Somebody found some for the NC700x, perhaps from Poland or Ukraine. Anyway, check this demo for the Illiumworks (talk about confidence):

YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the same as you did....most of the bars I saw offered little in the way of protection and appeared to me more cosmetic than functional. A great place to mount lights or highway pegs ;-)

I purchased these from the Ukraine supplier mentioned in the other post and had them shipped over. Had one itty-bitty low speed drop and no damage to the bike. More like a stunt cage than engine guards and the looks aren't for everyone ;-)

IMG_2522-XL.jpg

IMG_2530-XL.jpg

I have SW Motec bars and used them a couple times. Had to bend them back into shape when I hit hard, but only needed to replace handlebars and saved it from more expensive repairs. I think I posted this before, but probably slid 40 or 50 feet, the bars got scraped up good but held up. Crash bars are one of my first farkles on every bike. I seem to crash or fall over more than I should!

Last edited:
I thought the same as you did....most of the bars I saw offered little in the way of protection and appeared to me more cosmetic than functional. A great place to mount lights or highway pegs ;-)

I purchased these from the Ukraine supplier mentioned in the other post and had them shipped over. Had one itty-bitty low speed drop and no damage to the bike. More like a stunt cage than engine guards and the looks aren't for everyone ;-)

IMG_2522-XL.jpg

IMG_2530-XL.jpg

Does the cage interfere with any regular maintenance?

In reply to the video- What do you think is the best way to cross that type of slimy stream? Would walking the bike even be an option?

35-40 mph low side, My side cases and Bark busters saved most of my bike from getting damaged, my shifter assembly, foot peg and bent handlebars were the only parts of my actual motorcycle that was damaged. my side case and one Bark buster got scratched
fb97c55696d6510199adca5ec2f6f786.jpg

View attachment 38972

Anyone have any experience with these from R-GAZA? I only see one listing on ebay for them (Honda NC700S/700X NC750S/750X 2012-2019 R-GAZA Engine Guard Crash Bars | eBay) and they are about $180 shipped. Just bought a NOS 2015 NC700X and my short list of add-ons are soft bags, rear rack rails (want something to bungee too!), and crash bars.
I was able to straighten my shifter assembly out luckily, the aluminum it's mounted to was stripped out and the shifter assembly was bent in multiple places, I was able to fix all that for very little money luckily but many would have been forced/chosen to buy replacement parts that are pretty expensive, if you find crash bars that would protect that area, I'd recommend those

Id Rider.....I really like those bars......from Ukraine you say?......mind advising how much $$$ and wait time please. TIA

Id Rider.....I really like those bars......from Ukraine you say?......mind advising how much $$$ and wait time please. TIA

I ordered them June 2, 2015 hoping they would arrive before an Iron Butt ride a few weeks later, but they didn't make it in time. When I got back home around the first week of July they were waiting for me at a neighbor's house.

I guess it was close to a month, but that was four years ago and have no idea if things are moving quicker now. I faintly recall a mix up in the color I wanted them power coated and that might have contributed to the longish wait.

My paypal receipt shows $347USD which included fees/power coating and of course shipping. Again, that was over 4 years ago so lots of things might have changed.

Power coating has held up well, still looks new as do the welds.

This is the only engine guard that I found with protection for the DCT filter cover and I'm happy with them.

I mentioned in another thread that I have no issues with regular maintenance (oil/filters/transmission filter, etc) with the crash bars mounted. Not sure about the valve adjustment though. I've done once since I've had these mounted but honestly don't remember if I had to pull them off or not. I think I would remember if I had to (not a big deal anyway) so I'm going to suggest that yes, a valve adjustment can be done with the bars in place. I'm just not 100 percent sure ;-)

Last edited:
I'm looking into these now. A guy on the Honda NC700/750X sight on Facebook totaled his bike without crash bars. 50 mph slide destroyed the crankcase. I looked at frame sliders too but they all look pretty flimsy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
From an insurance stand point ( Insurance makes the bike look like new) ..........any kind of crash, slide or mishap at 50 mph is going to total the N.C.

Crash bars or engine guards might help in slow speed or parked tip over in the Walmart parking lot........if your willing to over look scratches and scuffs.

Something to think about: Back in the day ........wider and larger bars that stuck out lost favor, as there is a point where the bars stop sliding and cause the bike to start tumbling or high side as it’s also known. Slide is one thing......... As the rider you want no part of a tumble or high side event if your still with the bike.

Last edited:
Back