• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Do you change your windshield for touring, then switch back for local riding?

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Chatting with the service guy at the local Honda dealership he was saying it is common for people to swap their windshield depending, or remove them completely for around town use, then put on another for touring, then swap it back to either naked or the original again when back home. He even showed me a quick attach mount on a different model (no clue what model that was).

Do people actually do that?

I understand putting on a bigger screen for touring use. Makes sense if you are going to run a lot of highway miles that you'd put on a larger piece of plastic. I guess I figured if I put on a different one then I'd just leave it on?

I'm a former scooter rider, never made a long distance trip but hoping to do some long distance touring next August.

But do people actually swap them on & off their bikes a few times a year?

I hear of a few people in really hot climates swapping the windshield seasonally, but that practice is not the norm. There are also adjustable options, like the Madstad windshield system or BRUUDT adjusters, as well as clip on wind deflectors.

I’m not necessarily pushing Madstad, but a point to make is that their system offers good, quiet wind blockage but still allows you to look over the top of the shield. So, there is not a lot of need to remove it because it’s not really in the way.

One thing I would caution about is mid height windscreens, like the Givi aftermarket or the Honda Touring accessory windshield. These have a tendency to put the windblast right in your face or neck and increase noise levels. Either go big, go adjustable, or stay small.

There are lots and lots of windshield threads on the forum already. It and the seat are the most popular mods. Search with Google, as the forum search feature is pretty bad. Try “NC700-forum.com <subject>”.

Last edited:
The windscreen I use is home made and fitted with panels I can remove/attach for more/less air flow. The home made fairings do the same.

It would be fairly easy to fix the mounts with quick release mechanisms to change entire windscreen... haven't done that yet.

I've flipped the bolts around and put them through a cut down stock windshield to mount my madstad to. I only take the madstad off if I am exploring bush trails that would be more suitable to a dirtbike.

I do adjust it for more or less airflow every once in a while but generally don't ride on the road without the windshield if I can help it.

Last edited:
I don't, and didn't, take my screen off even when I lived in Florida. You'll still be mostly in the wind and it really doesn't get that hot while you're moving.

I'm on my 3rd Madstad and think their stuff is awesome. Regardless of how infinitely adjustable their stuff is, I found the right spot about a year ago and have never bothered to move it again. The adjustability is really more about getting it in the right spot for you rather than buying something off the shelf that ends up being too high or too low with no way to fix it.

I cut my stock screen down even smaller just to cover the instrument panel. Provides good, clean air for my late spring-fall riding. I have an MRA variotouring screen that serves as my cold weather screen. I do not do many highway miles. Mine are mostly city riding. So, I love the clean air that the small screen provides because when you get to sweating good, it cools you off nicely!

I only make the swap when it gets too hot for me to bear. Whatever that threshold may be will vary for each person.

Thanks, what the service guy was telling me just didn't make much sense to me.

Seems like consensus is that if someone changes a windshield at all, then they keep it on.

I use the stock screen in the summer/hot weather, and a vStream in the winter/cooler weather.

Only takes ~15 mins to switch, my 98 Goldwing took closer to an hour.

The new Wing has an electric screen, very nice to be able to adjust it with the push of a switch.

I generally run a cut down stock screen in summer because I like the smooth turbulence free airflow. When it starts to get colder I put on the Vstream shield.

I ride my NC just about every day down here in southern Arizona. Once the 'sweet spot' in its adjustment was found, nothing was changed between our riding seasons.

High temps in the 100's and lows in the high 30's. Keeping the air off of my body is a wonderful thing.

I run a big ol Madstad. In the summer I lower it to the bottom and tilt it toward me to increase airflow. In the winter I lift it up and angle it away to block the wind and rain :)

I installed a Cee Bailey on my bike soon after purchase (July 2013) and it hasnt been changed. Unfortunately, Cee Bailey no longer makes motorcycle windshields (I hit a big ole pothole last month going to an Ohio Rebel meet-thanks Ohio and your crummy roads and got a small crack at one of the mounting points) and will need a replacement sometime in the future.

I have a Madstad with the winglets. I found an adjustment of the screen that works best for me and I leave it there all the time. When the weather begins to turn cool I install the winglets to give me a bit more wind deflection away from the cockpit and remove them in the spring.

Chatting with the service guy at the local Honda dealership he was saying it is common for people to swap their windshield depending, or remove them completely for around town use, then put on another for touring, then swap it back <snip>
Do people actually do that?

Yes! Here is a few pics of my 2014 "convertible"....Converts from touring to bombing around town in about 15 minutes. The tall clear screen is about 22" high, the smaller smoked screen is about 15" high.

IMG_2517-XL.jpg

IMG_2770-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Back