• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Do you listen to music?

I've never listened to music on a motorcycle and rarely listen to music in a car. I find that it interferes with the voices in my head.
Mine sing along, in harmony. If I join in it’s just like a barbershop quartet

I've never listened to music on a motorcycle and rarely listen to music in a car. I find that it interferes with the voices in my head.
No on the music. Wife and I just did a 2000 mile trip in our motorhome. Never turned on any music. When I drive alone I almost never turn on music. My Goldwing has a radio that I might have used a whole 10 minutes since I bought it in 2004. I finally just removed the antenna because it was in the way.

My only 'voices' is ringing. Dreams at night are usually negative; the world is always full of that crap. Voices can be a distraction, however. Be careful.

I've always listened to recorded music on an iWay back in the day. My riding partner had Sirius FM, which is really the way to go in getting good reception while on the move.
All my riding is local to the farm now on elMO (Cub) holding the Sangean AM in my left hand to get reception listening to Rush.

Riding requires constant vigilance of the road surface and environment. Don't let earbuds distract from the task at hand. Again, be careful.

Followup to my mounting a JBL Charge 2 to my crash bars: Couldn't hear a thing above 50 kph.
I moved the Charge 2 to my handlebars. Couldn't hear a thing above 80 kph.
I have a 3/4 helmet and if I wore s shorty or half helmet I could hear it much better.
But, I'm more for safety than listening to tunes these days.
Besides, the sound of my Delkevic muffler at about 3k rpm while accelerating is the best music I have heard in a long time.

Just mount a set of flat speakers into your helmet behind the pads and bluetooth connect them to your audio source.

I don’t want a headset or speakers in my helmet. I want to hear my bike and the environment
But if you a blaring speakers off your handlebars doesn’t that sound mask other noises?

I can still hear my bike and traffic while playing music thru my helmet’s speakers. They don’t block out other sounds.

Obviously ANY music played too loud will overwhelm other quieter sounds, regardless of the speaker placement

I listen to music most of the time. On my wing, mostly through the bike speakers. On my NC and now my VFR and other bikes I stream from my phone to my Sena speakers in my helmet.

That said.... here’s a “pro tip”:

If you are an Amazon Prime member, Prime has literally hundreds of playlists with any kind of music you desire. If you use the Amazon Music App on your phone, you can download any of those playlists to your phone and listen to them “offline” which eliminates the need to have cell coverage when you are listening. Great when in the mountain or rural areas. No need to stream Pandora or other.....

My current favorite Prime play list is “mellow 70’s Gold” which is a playlist of 100 songs with various artists greatest hits. That playlist is about 5 hours of music which I put on “shuffle” to change up the order to random.

There is a playlist for greatest hits of the 80’s, 90’s, 00’s etc, etc, .......just those playlists alone are about 25 hours of great music. I have them all on my phone.....all included with my prime membership.

My Sena let’s me skip any song that comes on immediately by touching my jog dial.

Almost unlimited “content”.....

Last edited:
I listen to music most of the time. On my wing, mostly through the bike speakers. On my NC and now my VFR and other bikes I stream from my phone to my Sena speakers in my helmet.

That said.... here’s a “pro tip”:

If you are an Amazon Prime member, Prime has literally hundreds of playlists with any kind of music you desire. If you use the Amazon Music App on your phone, you can download any of those playlists to your phone and listen to them “offline” which eliminates the need to have cell coverage when you are listening. Great when in the mountain or rural areas. No need to stream Pandora or other.....

My current favorite Prime play list is “mellow 70’s Gold” which is a playlist of 100 songs with various artists greatest hits. That playlist is about 5 hours of music which I put on “shuffle” to change up the order to random.

There is a playlist for greatest hits of the 80’s, 90’s, 00’s etc, etc, .......just those playlists alone are about 25 hours of great music. I have them all on my phone.....all included with my prime membership.

My Sena let’s me skip any song that comes on immediately by touching my jog dial.

Almost unlimited “content”.....
I’m a Prime member but never listened to the music. I’ll have to do some downloading. Thanks.

Cardo Palktalk has a similar function but is voice activated. Just say “Hey Cardo, Next Track” but can also be done by hitting the correct button

I’m a Prime member but never listened to the music. I’ll have to do some downloading. Thanks.

Cardo Palktalk has a similar function but is voice activated. Just say “Hey Cardo, Next Track” but can also be done by hitting the correct button
Sena has voice commands too but for me it is just easier to touch the dial.

But if you a blaring speakers off your handlebars doesn’t that sound mask other noises?

I can still hear my bike and traffic while playing music thru my helmet’s speakers. They don’t block out other sounds.

Obviously ANY music played too loud will overwhelm other quieter sounds, regardless of the speaker placement

Do you know if Apple AirPods version 2 can be successfully used with a Garmin Zumo XT?

yep -- iTunes, Spotify, podcasts, etc., via Uclear set (likely upgrading soon). I also turn off everything very frequently and just enjoy the wind. Really just depends on the day, the ride, etc. Would not want to do without the option in any event.

I tried AirPods Pro's, and it is not comfortable (even using the smallest size earpieces). As other have said, it's hard to get your helmet on with the AirPods in (they inevitably move, then you have to stop and try to adjust, rinse & repeat), even if comfortable at first, within 10-20 minutes they start to hurt due to the pressure of the helmet on them.

I go as far as a single mono flat earpiece, I like to be able to hear things around me, and I only listen to mainly spoken radio, or to switch to phone satnav audio. Low tech. Music I wouldn't listen to, it tends to flatten out your sharpness, too chill.

No, I don't listen to music when I ride. I find I like listening to the sounds that the bike is making, the sounds around me and trying to take in as much as I can when riding. Something therapeutic about listening to the bike. I have owned bikes that have the radio, cd, ipod connections on them and would occasionally turn it on depending on how long of a ride or trip I am on, but generally speaking I don't. You would have to check the laws in your state to determine if it is legal or not.

No, I don't listen to music when I ride. I find I like listening to the sounds that the bike is making, the sounds around me and trying to take in as much as I can when riding. Something therapeutic about listening to the bike. I have owned bikes that have the radio, cd, ipod connections on them and would occasionally turn it on depending on how long of a ride or trip I am on, but generally speaking I don't. You would have to check the laws in your state to determine if it is legal or not.
Sort of like Kaylee and the engine room in Serenity

A wobbler, the headphones mess... As mtnbkr1185 info states, speakers mounted in a helmet don't legally qualify as headphones. So, there's that. Most police helmets in Ca. not only have dual speakers, but are also open face. And they ride routinely in triple digits. Go figure.

I do listen to music/podcasts while on highway. Dirt...not so much. I have an old sena, two head units, and speaker kits in 4 different helmets. I believe earplugs are not necessary with good wind protection and an excellent helmet. I was at or below 70 MPH today, sans earplugs, and had a great time listening to music while riding. I also occasionally listen to music WITH earplugs if I will be on open highway for several hours. The best Quality helmet you can buy and a windscreen adequate for the speed you plan on riding makes all the difference.

Last edited:
Back