• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Do you listen to music?

...I believe earplugs are not necessary with good wind protection and an excellent helmet. I was at or below 70 MPH today, sans earplugs, and had a great time listening to music while riding. The best Quality helmet you can buy and a windscreen adequate for the speed you plan on riding makes all the difference.
Agreed 100%

Some helmets are very quiet, especially the upper end full face units. Only slightly louder are the better built modulars.

I've never used earplugs with my Arai Defiant helmet.

I've never listened to music on a motorcycle and rarely listen to music in a car. I find that it interferes with the voices in my head.
Maybe they’re trying to tell you to turn up the tunes!

When I bought the NC I also bought a new helmet. It is an HJC RPHA 70. It is by no means a top of the line helmet but it seems to keep the noise down when the faceshield is closed. I like to listen to music when I ride, so I was looking at the more expensive communicator type systems like Cardo and Sena. Instead I got a cheap bluetooth off Amazon for around $30 which is just the ears and a mic. I installed that into my helmet just to see if I would even like having it there, and now I don't think I'll bother upgrading. It turns out the cheapo bluetooth system works just fine. I have been on some longer rides and listened to music from my phone the whole time, took a couple calls, even tried listening to navigation directions and it all works great.

...I've happily and legally used the Cardo PalkTalk (Slim version) for the past 2+ years.
Melensdad or anyone else who's used the PackTalk Slim, does it prevent you from storing your helmet in the frunk? Has anyone tried it yet with the new 2021 NC?

Melensdad or anyone else who's used the PackTalk Slim, does it prevent you from storing your helmet in the frunk? Has anyone tried it yet with the new 2021 NC?
I use an Arai Defiant (size L) helmet and it is too big to fit. Arai helmets are very round in shape. Being round in shape they tend to be much wider than many other brands, even in the same sizes. So the Packtalk Slim is not the issue for me. It is the big bubble headed helmet I wear. But I do love the Arai, top of the top of the line in every way and all day comfort. So my helmet is either cable locked or locked in my top box.

My wife has a PackTalk Slim on her HJC (size M) and has no issues. She has a full face and a 3/4. Both HJC. Both have no issues fitting in the Frunk.

Thanks for the reply and the helpful info! The helmet I'm considering is an HJC full-face (the RPHA 70). Mine would be a size L, but that's reportedly the same shell size as the medium. I'll have to give it a try and post what I learn.

Thanks for the reply and the helpful info! The helmet I'm considering is an HJC full-face (the RPHA 70). Mine would be a size L, but that's reportedly the same shell size as the medium. I'll have to give it a try and post what I learn.
I believe HJC uses the same shell for many of their M/L helmets

I have that same helmet, but in XL. Mine fit with a little finessing before I filled half the frunk with tools and stuff. Your size L should fit OK, and the tight spots were front and back, so a communicator on the side shouldn't cause any problems.

I've got a Bell Qualifer DLX helmet (size L) and a Sena SMH 10 headset; the helmet is designed with a built in interface to snap the communicator in place. Whenever I park during an outing, I pop off the communicator, stuff it into a glove, put the glove in the helmet, then drop the whole think in the frunk, no problems.

Music is a huge help with distance rides; also, if you have a phone that allows it (mine is a Samsung Galaxy) you should set it to "do not disturb" except for emergency contacts. If your spouse or whomever is vital needs to call in, they will - but the damned extended car warranty people won't interrupt your zen.

Absolutely not. When I'm riding I want my undivided attention on my bike, any traffic around me, and the road. There's enough distractions without adding to them. And I love my music
just not while up on two wheels.

On the rare occasion I don’t have my music on, “my thoughts, and the voices in my head” are telling me to turn it back on ……

On my crosstourer, I stream to the Sena in my helmet. On my Goldwing I prefer the external speakers.

Back