• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Does anyone have a good EZ Pass (Toll Tag) mount suggestion?

Cagedodger

Reaction score
Visit site
I just started a new job that requires me to take the toll road to get across town. Up until now, I would just put the transponder in a RAM Mount X-grip which works pretty well for reading. I'm curious to see what others have come up with for mounting these things so that they're relatively secure and don't require manually placing when getting ready to ride. My new office isn't in the best part of town so I don't want something that's easily taken.

One slight issue is that I have the Madstad windshield with the aluminum mount, so I can't mount it under the mount (which would be perfect if not for the transponder blocking aluminum). In the past, I had a Cee Bailey windshield that I made a mount for that was secured by the instrument cluster mounting screw; can't do that with this shield.

Any suggestions?

I am currently in a similar situation. I've been looking on Amazon but most of the ez pass holders are suction cup mount.

In PA the EZ Pass folks told me that it must be placed between the instrument panel and windshield.

Primum non Nocere

I don't commute anymore, but when I did I had a Goldwing with a couple of strips of velcro, the softer stuff on the bike and the hooked part on the back of the transponder.

It's not theft resistant, but is very quick on/off.

Maybe you could stick it inside the frunk cover if you have room.
Here in Florida the also use pay by plate, so if it doesn't work, you still get charged.

Maybe you could stick it inside the frunk cover if you have room.
Here in Florida the also use pay by plate, so if it doesn't work, you still get charged.

Yeah that works for me in PA but apparently EZ Pass from PA doesn't align with NJ and NY so if my ez pass doesn't register I get a $27.00 bill in the mail for a $5 toll.

I might try to place it under the frunk cover. I just worry that it won't register.

There is plenty of air space inside the ducts on each side of the fairing. Depending on the transponder size you could velcro it inside the dead space and forget about it. IIRC two plastic rivets and a screw hold the duct in place. It takes a few minutes to remove but it's easy enough.

Thanks for the suggestions folks!

I'm trying to avoid anything that requires me to remember to place it and remove it (already forgot once and had to shut down the bike on the side of the road to get the transponder out of the frunk) or anything where it's always out, otherwise I'd just use the dual lock strips.

It's the chunky square transponder so I don't think I could get it aimed right in the "air ducts".

I might try mounting it to the underside of the frunk or possibly the inside top of one of my sidecases.

I'd still be curious to see other people's solutions.

No one's lost one due to a suction cup failing? I see those kinds of mounts everywhere, but I just don't think I could trust a suction cup.

Would it work if you put it in your jacket? I put my garage door opener in my chest pocket. I open the pocket and press the buttons while inside the pocket with gloved hands.

I keep mine in the map section of my tank bag. When I get to work I remove and put in the frunk on top of my riding pants that I store there. Reverse for the ride home.
Never forget it and it always works at the tolls

I had the same problem with my Pike Pass in Oklahoma. Jacket pockets or careful placement in the frunk never gave me a 100% reliable solution. I noticed there was enough room behind the windshield, below the instrument cluster. I made a sheet metal holder using the same mounting bolts as the windshield. Unless someone is carrying the right tools, they cannot steal my Pike Pass. I basically forget it is there and it reads every time. If you make one, leave the top as open as possible. A full flap over the top will not read.

Pike Pass NC700X.JPG

The transponders will work from within the frunk.

Both transponders and receivers are very good today, and easily read thru plastic covers like gloves boxes and such. Its just not recommended, because there are many better positions within cars.

At best, use the same dual lock fasteners you have on your car windshield, and apply it to a side wall of the frunk in an upright positions.

EDIT: I can only speak for the EZ-PASS.

Last edited:
The transponders will work from within the frunk.

Both transponders and receivers are very good today, and easily read thru plastic covers like gloves boxes and such. Its just not recommended, because there are many better positions within cars.

At best, use the same dual lock fasteners you have on your car windshield, and apply it to a side wall of the frunk in an upright positions.

EDIT: I can only speak for the EZ-PASS.

I think I'm going to try out mounting it in the frunk in that groove on the underside. I guess worst case scenario is they send me a bill after shooting my registered tags with their cameras.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

Back