• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Double Cradle Bikes

t3hGone

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm researching potential bikes to use for my master's thesis. I built a li-ion battery pack with state-of-charge algorithms for my bachelor's thesis. For my master's I will be implementing the battery pack with a DC/DC converter and a DC/AC converter that I'm designing currently. I will be trying to obtain a donation for a 3-phase AC induction motor.

Anyways, I figured I'd want to start with a bike that has a simple chassis, the double cradle style chassis where the engine is mounted to two chassis bars running below the engine. I am doing this out-of-pocket so I would like to find a non-running motor or a cheaper bike. My price range is below 1000 USD but would like to stay as modern as I can so '80s and '90s seem to be in this price range. Relatively easy to find replacement parts still. I plan on making this into a streetfighter style bike so the potential is needed. I am also looking to stay within Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio for bikes. Welded on cradles are preferred, none of that bolt-on stuff.

I would like to know of some recommended bikes that I can use as a donor chassis that meets the requirements. Some that I've come up with that I can find in my price range are:
VF500F
CBxxx(x) Interceptor
GSFxxx(x) Bandit
FZRxxx(x) [I can't tell if these cradles are bolted on]

I'm a newbie to motorcycles so any guidance would be appreciated! It seems like the cheapest way for me to obtain a chassis is to buy a running motorcycle and sell the engine. If I do this, which bike would have the most sought-after engine?

Thanks in advance!

Pretty much any UJM from the 80s.
Suzuki GS***
Honda CB*** (including Nighthawks)
Honda VF***
Yamaha XS
All can be had for cheap, especially if you don't need a running engine. You can also sell the parts you don't need to recoup some $$

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.

Dirt bike frame? Virtually every full size dirt bike since the beginning of time uses a cradle style frame, except for that BMW 450 thing from a few years ago. Should be fairly easy to pick up an early '90s dirt bike with a blown engine for a couple hundred bucks. But weather or not you can get a battery pack & motor in there is another story. But if you're looking for motivation, just look at some hill-climb bikes. If somebody can cram a hot-rod GSX-R mill into a RM125 frame, you can probably make an electric conversion work.

Back