• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Drainage holes in frunk?

I always say it on these type of threads, so I'll say it here too...you know, for consistency.

"Worry less, ride more."

No tiny hole in the bottom of that frunk is going to harm anything. If something does happen to get wet in there, it's unlikely to be of any hardcore significance, and at that point you can proceed to silicone the holes up. I have stared at the pic you posted and have no idea where the holes are you speak of either.
Yes, worry way less and ride way more! This is a design discussion at this point. A technical discussion. I'm the guy who learns every square inch of his bikes so I know and trust them as I ride nearly every day and 10,000 miles a year. Design and engineering are fascinating to me. Are the holes there on purpose, for design reasons we have discussed, or are they some artifact of assembly? The answer will only come from another owner of a 21 who investigates.

If, as post #18 suggested, the holes of concern are adjacent to the screws heads in their recesses, this is a common design method on Honda plastic panels. The tiny hole is for water drainage. I would not be concerned about water entry from the bottom of the frunk. That area sits behind the engine/throttle body/fuel rail and all that stuff and water just isn't going to find it's way in there.

You can barely see it near the top right bolt in the OPs picture. I had to shine a light from under the frunk to see them on mine. They appear to be intentional and probably for drainage.

Washing my NC is probably the biggest chance of any water intrusion and it has not been an issue.
Awesome! A fellow 21 owner confirms it. It is designed into the frunk on ours. Wonderful. Case closed. Thanks all!

are these the holes you are talking about? My 21 DCT

9BJDjslh.jpg

Speed holes, they make the frunk go faster.

But seriously, drain holes are an important design consideration, and in general the problems associated with water potentially entering through the drain hole (but then being able to drain out) are less severe than problems associated with water getting trapped inside a compartment if it ever found a way in. Unless you absolutely need the compartment to be water tight, you are likely to find drain holes at the bottom. This goes for anything "enclosed" too, you see drain holes on low points of structural members, etc. I bet if you looked at the frame tubes, you'll find a few carefully located drain holes at the low points.

In this case, water collecting in the screw recesses could cause the screw to rust out and the frunk to come loose.
Plus, I wouldn't want to have to bail out a frunk if I had a water bottle or something spill in there.

Most properly designed compartments, cases, trunks have venting and or drainage holes to allow any moisture (think condensation) to evaporate or drain. Without those any moisture can become a problem. There have been issues when bugs enter and or block these vents leading to problems. A better solution than sealing I would recommend and have used would be to get some Scotchbrite material and install in the recess. This will allow venting /drainage still and make it very unlikely for any water to enter. The Tool tubes that are available have these drain holes and when sealed off can become problematic from not getting vented. Although in this application I would not recommend a drain tube made from a hose/tube and sealed could be used. The air cleaner assys have a drain like this and need to have the drain plug removed at times for the fluid build up. Some people will leave them out when riding in high moisture conditions. Hope this info helps

Most well-made compartments have drain holes and rightfully so, including these. As a tip, I would cut some soft material and put it in the bottom of the "front trunk", using a spray adhesive, to protect the helmet. It's good to have and comes in different holding powers.

Back