• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dumbest and Most Useful Item Carried on my Bike

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok this is totally dumb and it's sad it took me 8 years to even think of this but it has made my life so much easier in day-to-day commuting.

I don't own a car, I live in the city and I commute on my bike everywhere. This results in me using my bike in a lot of different ways from other riders. I don't have saddle bags though I do have a top box and 35L drybag. However, unless I know I need to carry bulky items like $100 worth of groceries today I rarely use them.

So I use the frunk for all my daily commuting needs which is perfect and why I can't see giving up the bike. But I'm sure I'm not the only person who ends up tossing a bunch of things in the frunk for emergencies or in case you forget as backup-type items. The problem then arises when I want to stop at a store or grab some food but don't want to carry my helmet and I can't leave it on the bike in most places(lots of theft and I live near Methodone Mile). So I end up stuffing all the little items into my helmet so it will fit in the frunk. Now I've been doing this like this for 8 years and it's annoying but doable. I could also carry my top case more often but I wont its more work to bring it with me every time I want to take the bike out.

So after 8 years here is my dumb solution that over the last couple of months has worked out awesome. It keeps my frunk cleaner, is easy to stuff into my helmet when I need to leave it with the bike, can be carried on the rear seat with the cargo net if I need extra space, and carries everything I want to always have on the bike so I don't forget.
It is a 9"x7"x3" soft travel bag. I have better bags I could use but this lets it conform to different spaces and gets the job done for a couple of dollars.

PXL_20210608_000944314.jpg

Here is everything That is in the bag.

• Custom 1st aid kit for normal everyday things not for accidents
  • 3 microfiber rags
  • Slime tire kit plus traditional repair kit stuffed into the case
  • A cargo net for rear seat
  • Extra masks
  • Kickstand plate for dirt areas
  • 2 Rok straps
  • 4L dry bag for extra emergency storage
  • 4 straps for my SW-Motech 35L Drybag
  • Jump starter which I have used twice already this year for other riders. Need to make a more compact jumper cable for it though.
  • Boulder rechargeable/AAA LED flashlight.

PXL_20210608_000225851.jpg

I had some other stuff in the bag but ended up using it more often or was already carrying them on my person didn't feel I needed a backup off.

Anyway, this is my stupid story and even dumber solution for the bike. Maybe it will be useful to any other daily commuters who are tired of accumulating junk in the frunk. I know a lot of you touring riders have all kinds of solutions but I like my bike looking more sporty and less adventure haha

Good idea fleeting youth..a purse for your frunk

I have a bunch of stuff ready to go in the frunk when my bike comes in, and this will be a great way to organize all that cra... stuff. I have several bags left over from other stuff that will work perfect for this.

Thanks for posting.

Since my Arai Defiant (size L) bobble head helmet won't come close to fitting in the Frunk there tends to be a lot of crap that ends up in my Frunk. I've been thinking of a way to move some of them to the space UNDER the Dale's Rack that replaced my rear seat. The is a small amount of space under the rack, and if I can find a suitable waterproof bag I may move some of my small items (tools, tire kit, etc) out of the Frunk.

Your little bag has given me an idea, and some motivation to do it. And honestly a quart or gallon size Ziplock H.D. Freezer bag would probably be good enough for my needs. Thanks for your post.

BTW, I just noticed you are from Boston. I probably saw that a dozen times but it didn't click. My Russian girl/Notre Dame Saber fencing student will be in your neck of the woods, training at Dynamo Fencing Club Newton/Boston in early August. The Dynamo coach is a friend of mine, he also coaches the Tufts U men's team, I'll be with him in July at the National Championships in Philly.

Since my Arai Defiant (size L) bobble head helmet won't come close to fitting in the Frunk there tends to be a lot of crap that ends up in my Frunk. I've been thinking of a way to move some of them to the space UNDER the Dale's Rack that replaced my rear seat. The is a small amount of space under the rack, and if I can find a suitable waterproof bag I may move some of my small items (tools, tire kit, etc) out of the Frunk.

Your little bag has given me an idea, and some motivation to do it. And honestly a quart or gallon size Ziplock H.D. Freezer bag would probably be good enough for my needs. Thanks for your post.

BTW, I just noticed you are from Boston. I probably saw that a dozen times but it didn't click. My Russian girl/Notre Dame Saber fencing student will be in your neck of the woods, training at Dynamo Fencing Club Newton/Boston in early August. The Dynamo coach is a friend of mine, he also coaches the Tufts U men's team, I'll be with him in July at the National Championships in Philly.
That's super interesting, I photographed Fencing at the Rio Olympics for the first time it was an amazing experience. The lights and whole production were so theatrical, I really enjoyed trying to learn and follow what was happening.

I've often thought about reaching out locally to do some more.

MDestefano_Copyright_2016-3557.jpg

Ok this is totally dumb and it's sad it took me 8 years to even think of this but it has made my life so much easier in day-to-day commuting.

I don't own a car, I live in the city and I commute on my bike everywhere. This results in me using my bike in a lot of different ways from other riders. I don't have saddle bags though I do have a top box and 35L drybag. However, unless I know I need to carry bulky items like $100 worth of groceries today I rarely use them.

So I use the frunk for all my daily commuting needs which is perfect and why I can't see giving up the bike. But I'm sure I'm not the only person who ends up tossing a bunch of things in the frunk for emergencies or in case you forget as backup-type items. The problem then arises when I want to stop at a store or grab some food but don't want to carry my helmet and I can't leave it on the bike in most places(lots of theft and I live near Methodone Mile). So I end up stuffing all the little items into my helmet so it will fit in the frunk. Now I've been doing this like this for 8 years and it's annoying but doable. I could also carry my top case more often but I wont its more work to bring it with me every time I want to take the bike out.

So after 8 years here is my dumb solution that over the last couple of months has worked out awesome. It keeps my frunk cleaner, is easy to stuff into my helmet when I need to leave it with the bike, can be carried on the rear seat with the cargo net if I need extra space, and carries everything I want to always have on the bike so I don't forget.
It is a 9"x7"x3" soft travel bag. I have better bags I could use but this lets it conform to different spaces and gets the job done for a couple of dollars.

View attachment 45175

• 3 microfiber rags
  • Extra masks
  • 2 Rok straps
  • Jump starter which I have used twice already this year for other riders. Need to make a more compact jumper cable for it though.

View attachment 45176

I had some other stuff in the bag but ended up using it more often or was already carrying them on my person didn't feel I needed a backup off.

Anyway, this is my stupid story and even dumber solution for the bike. Maybe it will be useful to any other daily commuters who are tired of accumulating junk in the frunk. I know a lot of you touring riders have all kinds of solutions but I like my bike looking more sporty and less adventure haha

View attachment 45175

• 3 microfiber rags
  • Extra masks
  • 2 Rok straps

View attachment 45176

So, how do you like the XP-1 Micro-start? I have been thinking about getting a jump starter, but not sure whether it is worth the space and/or the money. I have found one on the web for $89.99 and this appears to be the best price. Any other folks have experience/recommendations for one of these devices? Thanks!

So, how do you like the XP-1 Micro-start? I have been thinking about getting a jump starter, but not sure whether it is worth the space and/or the money. I have found one on the web for $89.99 and this appears to be the best price. Any other folks have experience/recommendations for one of these devices? Thanks!
I like it a lot I did a ton of research before buying it and it seemed pretty good for its size. you can get ones slightly bigger that have done better in testing but most are for cars and the motorcycle really doesnt need a lot to turn it over.
I got it at Xmas and charged it. Used it twice to jump start a bike and haven't charged it a second time. It still has 4 out of 5 lights. So I'm impressed with getting multiple jumps out of it without having to recharge.

They make a smaller one I kind of wish I got that seems to work just as well.
Also here is a great review of some of the cheaper Chinese models if you decide to go that route.
The only concern I have with this one or any is while researching I came across a lot of comments from people that had swelling issues. But it seemed to happen to people who were living them in their car and just forgetting about them. It seems like it is a potential issue for most lithium jump packs.

Last edited:
I have a similar 'bike purse' that I carry on the bikes that is made of an old Cortech Super Mini tank bag of maybe 8 or 9 liters. It fit perfectly in the bottom of the frunk and I now throw it in the top box or saddlebag of the other bikes each time I leave on a ride. It has the little stuff I like to have with me on day rides.

Well given that I am a burley manly man type of guy, pretty much a twin of Conan the barbarian, not willing shop the ladies cosmetic aisle, I opted for a handful of ZipLock Freezer Bags. Pint Size. The pint freezer bags are 7" by 5" so very small. Being "freezer" bags they are thicker than "sandwich" bags, so just a bit more durable.

NOT using them in the Frunk, Munk, Hold or name of the day for the storage compartment. But I AM now using them under my Dale's Rack. There is a bit of room under there, but it not a wide open space. The locking mechanism takes up some space so using the small "pint" size bags lets me work around the obstructions that are in there while maximizing my storage into multiple smaller bags. So the emergency stuff found a new home, like the tire kit and small tools.

Thanks OP for starting this thread! I have been wondering what everyone does to 'organize' their frunk. I have a sort of miniature knapsack I picked up at a thrift shop but then decided was like a doll's knapsack with no practical use, so I put it aside. Now I put it in the frunk for long rides: I keep my wallet, extra eyeglasses, a bottle of water, baseball cap, and some other miscellaneous junk in there.

But I found this idea on some Japanese guy's blog (screen grab below):

It's a Daytona Met-in Pocket (small size), I found one on Amazon Japan for about $9 US and it's in my "to be installed" queue. It can be installed under the frunk lid. looks like a pretty clever solution.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 4.37.19 PM.png

Thanks OP for starting this thread! I have been wondering what everyone does to 'organize' their frunk. I have a sort of miniature knapsack I picked up at a thrift shop but then decided was like a doll's knapsack with no practical use, so I put it aside. Now I put it in the frunk for long rides: I keep my wallet, extra eyeglasses, a bottle of water, baseball cap, and some other miscellaneous junk in there.

But I found this idea on some Japanese guy's blog (screen grab below):

It's a Daytona Met-in Pocket (small size), I found one on Amazon Japan for about $9 US and it's in my "to be installed" queue. It can be installed under the frunk lid. looks like a pretty clever solution.

View attachment 45212

I like that idea. I used the existing hooks with bunjie cords to lash in my roll up tool kit.

Does anyone know the actual purpose for those hooks?

Back