• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dunlop Trailmax D609 replacement?

jackthebiker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2018 NC750X new on 1/5/2021. It came with the Dunlop Trailmax D609s. Now I am at 2600 miles and they are just about too the wear bars. I have a set of new Avon Trailriders to put on in my basement, but I was wondering if I can still get Honda to replace them free of charge? I see there was a time a while back that they would. Anybody got a website or phone number?

I bought my 2018 NC750X new on 1/5/2021. It came with the Dunlop Trailmax D609s. Now I am at 2600 miles and they are just about too the wear bars. I have a set of new Avon Trailriders to put on in my basement, but I was wondering if I can still get Honda to replace them free of charge? I see there was a time a while back that they would. Anybody got a website or phone number?
Tires are consumable wear items, like brake pads and drive chains. They are not warranted against wearing out from riding the motorcycle. I thought I once heard that some European dealers were on rare occasions replacing the Trailmax as a goodwill gesture but I wouldn’t expect such in the USA. All you can do is ask.

American Honda provides a contact information link at the bottom of their main web page. https://powersports.honda.com/contact-us

Tires are consumable wear items, like brake pads and drive chains. They are not warranted against wearing out from riding the motorcycle. I thought I once heard that some European dealers were on rare occasions replacing the Trailmax as a goodwill gesture but I wouldn’t expect such in the USA. All you can do is ask.

American Honda provides a contact information link at the bottom of their main web page. https://powersports.honda.com/contact-us
Tires certainly are a wear item, but a 50 hp motorcycle shouldn't wear out a tire in 3000 miles. I have read that Honda had been giving out replacement tires because they new there was a problem with these tires. The owners contacted Honda and a repair number was given to give to the dealer for new tires. I had 2 motorcycles that wore out the OEM rear tire at 4500 miles. A 2015 Triumph Bonneville T100, and a 1996 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Classic. So my NC750X has set a new record.

I am expecting the trailmax tires to last about 2500 miles on my new 2020 model. Time will tell as the riding days become more frequent with warmer weather.

The D609's are terrible tires. Do yourself a favor and move on to the Avons. Also, one of the biggest factors surrounding tire longevity is maintaining proper air pressure, so be sure you aren't running on underinflated tires. Low psi creates more rolling resistance and movement in the carcass, which creates more heat, which wears the tires more quickly.

I should have provided more info I guess. I am 68 and have over 52 years of riding experience. I have purchased 43 motorcycles from 11 different brands. I have ridden almost 1 million miles, almost 100,000 the last 4 years. Now I provide this info to explain that I ride on normal roads with my tires fully inflated. Please don't take this as being a smart ass, I am just trying to explain that there is a problem with these tires. Honda a few years ago was replacing them knowing that there was a problem.

Thanks again for the link. I sent Honda a complaint. I told them my 2018 Gold Wing Tour made twice the horsepower and weighed over 300 lbs more, and got over twice the mileage out of their OEM tires.

Thanks again for the link. I sent Honda a complaint. I told them my 2018 Gold Wing Tour made twice the horsepower and weighed over 300 lbs more, and got over twice the mileage out of their OEM tires.
Honda may note your complaint, but sales numbers probably drive American Honda. I’m guessing the average motorcycle buyer doesn’t get their heart set on buying an NC750X, then stomp out the door because it has D609 tires on it. Maybe the tires even win sales if they look cool.

Last edited:
Other than wearing quickly, these tires at least handle nice :p. I hope to get 3000 out of them. I'm at 1400 miles on my 2019 and I'm pretty surprised at how much wear the front is already showing. Those miles represent a lot of canyon and twisty riding, so it makes sense the front is wearing fast. I'm going on a road trip over Memorial Day weekend and will probably put around 1300 miles on round trip. Guess I'll be buying new tires after I get home.

Other than wearing quickly, these tires at least handle nice :p. I hope to get 3000 out of them. I'm at 1400 miles on my 2019 and I'm pretty surprised at how much wear the front is already showing. Those miles represent a lot of canyon and twisty riding, so it makes sense the front is wearing fast. I'm going on a road trip over Memorial Day weekend and will probably put around 1300 miles on round trip. Guess I'll be buying new tires after I get home.
I have not heard from Honda. I mounted Avon Trailriders several days ago and have over 1000 miles on them. They are wearing well so far, will report when I have several thousand miles on them. The Avons handle great, the Dunlops are cheap junk, when you ride 20,000 miles or more a year like I do changing tires 5 times in a year is not acceptable. My Road King gets 18,000 miles out of a back tire.

You think they handle nice until you swap to a GOOD tire. Lol

I am certainly not going to waste any time waiting to replace the Dunlops, nor shed any tears at their passing. But I just got rid of a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Custom with the 21 inch spoke front wheel. That bike had it's own definition of "handling" and none of it was very good, so moving to the NC even with crappy tires I am overjoyed at how it handles. To think that it gets better with good rubber makes me so happy!

I am certainly not going to waste any time waiting to replace the Dunlops, nor shed any tears at their passing. But I just got rid of a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Custom with the 21 inch spoke front wheel. That bike had it's own definition of "handling" and none of it was very good, so moving to the NC even with crappy tires I am overjoyed at how it handles. To think that it gets better with good rubber makes me so happy!
I like the way the NC handles too. The seat isn't the best, I might buy a Sargent for it if they promise me it will fit.

I like the way the NC handles too. The seat isn't the best, I might buy a Sargent for it if they promise me it will fit.
I'm with you on the seat. I got a gel pad and slapped it over the stock seat to get me going for now. I'm going to take a long trip this coming weekend, from Salt Lake City to Palm Springs in one day. Should be about 10 to 12 hours each way, I guess I'll find out how my butt feels about long rides with just the gel pad helping out. Long term I can't see not replacing this seat with something better, I just have to decide how much I'm willing to spend.

I had Sargent seats on my 2012 and 2015 NCs. The fit was good and support allowed IBA length rides. The 2016-2020 has the same attachment points and the fit is apparently the same. Occasionally someone has a complaint about fitting one. The 2015 came on the 609s and while not ideal I wore them out rather quickly and got better tires which is the usually deal with OEM tires. Problem solved.

That is what I was thinking.

I knew I didn't like the factory supplied rubber on either my wife's 2016 or on my 2018. Each of those was factory equipped with a different brand. Bridgestone on one and Dunlop on the other? But I didn't know how bad they were until I put on the Michelin Road 5 tires. YIKES, talk about a big difference! I know the Road 5 is a bit squirrely on gravel, but I'm pretty convinced it is the best gripping tire for asphalt, wet or dry.

I have not heard from Honda. I mounted Avon Trailriders several days ago and have over 1000 miles on them. They are wearing well so far, will report when I have several thousand miles on them. The Avons handle great, the Dunlops are cheap junk, when you ride 20,000 miles or more a year like I do changing tires 5 times in a year is not acceptable. My Road King gets 18,000 miles out of a back tire.
Do you mount your own tires? Also interested in what tires you run on the Road King. I have a Kawi Vulcan Nomad 1600 bagger and have been running Avon Cobras on it, usually averaging about 10-12k miles per set. Problem is that I am limited in available sizes, as my bike comes with a 170/70/16 rear and not many manufacturers make a tire in that size. A friend of mine has the same bike and I helped him change tires on it at my shop. He put on a 180/60 Michelin Commander rear and I had a hard time getting that tire wedged between the driveshaft hub and the swingarm. So I'll be sticking to 170/70 rear on mine LOL.

I'm interested in whether you are self mounting and how. I had a HF floor years ago mounted on a wooden pallet and worked OK until it broke. I'm told the newer ones are better. I have two ATV's that need tires and I'm using the tires and wheels off my Pioneer but they only work on the rear. Lowrider needs rubber and My DRZ will soon.

Thanks!

Back