• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DuPont chain saver

Anyone ever used the 4oz squeeze bottle vs the aerosol? Is there a benefit to one over the other?
I have never used or seen the 4oz squeeze bottle, but it looks interesting. I would like to try it for travel use. Aerosol cans are space hogs, and any overspray is wasted product.

For home use I generally use gear oil sparingly from a large squeeze bottle.

Reactions: MZ5
I have never used or seen the 4oz squeeze bottle, but it looks interesting. I would like to try it for travel use. Aerosol cans are space hogs, and any overspray is wasted product.

For home use I generally use gear oil sparingly from a large squeeze bottle.
I’ve been trying gear oil, but it always seems to fling off and get on my tire. I’m not concerned about it getting on the wheel, but the tire having oil on the tire worries me. Maybe I put too much on, I squeeze some on a rag and wipe the chain down, squeeze some more wipe some more and work my way around till I do the whole chain. I’ll let it sit for a while, sometimes overnight, the wipe the chain down with a clean rag.

670, what’s your procedure for using gear oil?

I’ve been trying gear oil, but it always seems to fling off and get on my tire. I’m not concerned about it getting on the wheel, but the tire having oil on the tire worries me. Maybe I put too much on, I squeeze some on a rag and wipe the chain down, squeeze some more wipe some more and work my way around till I do the whole chain. I’ll let it sit for a while, sometimes overnight, the wipe the chain down with a clean rag.

670, what’s your procedure for using gear oil?
I squeeze 80w-90 gear oil on a disposable shop towel and wipe down the chain. I wipe off as much excess as possible, which removes dirt also. I wipe the chain again with a clean towel until no more oil can be removed. My goal is to leave only a minimal light oil coating to keep the chain from rusting, no more. If you have fling off, you probably put or left way too much oil on the chain.

I use spray lubes sometimes, but they are messy and sometimes wasteful. I am contemplating trying a new chain someday and never lubing it at all. I suspect it will last nearly as long as messing with lubes, but I’d like to prove that to myself.

Back