• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Easiest way for extra lighting?

RubyRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have gotten a new job that requires long hours, due to this I will be riding after sundown, I am looking for the easiest way to add some light to my bike. Any suggestions?

For a less cheeky response: I installed some Denali lights on my front fork where the reflectors sit. I couldn't find the right wire to tap into. I am no expert on reading wiring diagrams. After a few attempts at finding the correct wire, I had a shop complete the wiring job.

You might be a more competent electrician than I am, or know one who can help you. It's as easy as removing some plastics and connecting some wires if you know what you're doing. The wiring diagram is in the back of the NC manual

If you don't feel confident with wiring diagrams, then I would also suggest a pro.

The easiest and cheapest way to add accessory circuits is to install a fuse block with relay, attached to your battery.
That way you won't need to tap into anything.
And it's really easy to do.
No splicing of wires is necessary.
And fuse panels and relay are cheap.
Honda's method of adding an accessory circuit with their proprietary harnesses and relay is expensive and not of much use, as it is only designed for 7.5amps of current.
That's enough for some driving lights and maybe a GPS or USB charger port, but little else.

It is easy to get switched power from the 6P accessory connector. It's under the plastic covers on the left side (clutch lever side) of the bike.

My bike came with Honda’s accessory light bar and accessory wiring harness. All I had to do was attach the LED driving lights I wanted onto the threaded mounting holes in the light bar, and then run a couple wires to the Honda wiring connector. It would have been difficult to get an easier installation than that.

Good quality (which includes a good, well-engineered light projection pattern) LED lights aren’t the cheapest thing, but they work perfectly with the Honda harness because they draw super little current, and they work very well on the road.

I encourage you to keep light projection pattern in mind. It is a FAR more important consideration than simple brightness or light output. FWIW, my choice of aux lights was PIAA’s LP530 (IIRC?). Outstandingly good driving beam pattern. Too blue for my taste, but the pattern makes up for it and more.

It is easy to get switched power from the 6P accessory connector. It's under the plastic covers on the left side (clutch lever side) of the bike.
It is easy if you buy all the wiring and parts Honda requires to use it.
The harness that plugs into the 6P connector has 3 leads that all require either matching connectors or cutting off Honda's connectors and installing your own.
A fuse block requires no connectors, just bare ends to fit under screws.
And a fuse block gives more options than the 6P harness.
Eastern Beaver sells 6P harness adapters that are more user friendly:

Click on the link above to see all the wiring that Eastern Beaver offers specifically for the NC series.

honda-6P-leads.jpg
This is their 6P connector with bare leads

see [HERE]
I've attached lights to the front by bolting a angled flat bar under the "beek". That's the L shaped aluminum flat bar. Purely flat introduces to much bouncing on the road. I had to cut the plastic some, but it bolted on securely. Lights were about $20 and had their own ON/OFF toggle switch up on the handlebars.

It is easy if you buy all the wiring and parts Honda requires to use it.
The harness that plugs into the 6P connector has 3 leads that all require either matching connectors or cutting off Honda's connectors and installing your own.
A fuse block requires no connectors, just bare ends to fit under screws.
And a fuse block gives more options than the 6P harness.
Eastern Beaver sells 6P harness adapters that are more user friendly:

Click on the link above to see all the wiring that Eastern Beaver offers specifically for the NC series.

View attachment 43912
This is their 6P connector with bare leads
WOW.....thanks!

I have gotten a new job that requires long hours, due to this I will be riding after sundown, I am looking for the easiest way to add some light to my bike. Any suggestions?
Unsolicited advice with apologies. If you've got it apart, and are running lights, install Skene Photon Blasters. They are a little pricey but worth their weight in gold in both day and night riding.

Yes, I failed to mention that you have to add the relay and fuse kit (~$10 on eBay) to enable the 6P accessory connector.

You don't need the whole Honda wiring harness. The connector is a Sumitomo HM .090 6-pin, which you should be able to find on eBay or AliExpress.

The Eastern Beaver stuff is super nice, although a bit pricey. I have bought from him in the past. Also slow shipping from Japan.

I used an Innov PowerHub, and installed some less expensive amazon led lights using the Skene controller so it automatically adjusts the aux lights based on whether my headlight is on hi or low. Like BigBird mentioned, using a fuse block or the Innov PowerHub eliminates connectors -- just positaps and you're done. Not the cheapest solution, but not crazy expensive and very, very easy to wire correctly and remove if you want to.

You can replace the stock Halogen bulb with a LED. Some of the newer ones match the beam pattern of the stock bulb very well. I went with the Evitek F2 H4, 38 watts.

Yes, I failed to mention that you have to add the relay and fuse kit (~$10 on eBay) to enable the 6P accessory connector.

You don't need the whole Honda wiring harness. The connector is a Sumitomo HM .090 6-pin, which you should be able to find on eBay or AliExpress.

The Eastern Beaver stuff is super nice, although a bit pricey. I have bought from him in the past. Also slow shipping from Japan.
Just what I was looking for to save on cash and the long wait. Do you know the tail light connector type as well by chance?

Yes -- HE .050 Connectors. 2-pin for L/R turn signals (orange and light blue), 3-pin for the tail/brake.

You can get the 2-pin US shipped (USPS from NJ) from cycle-terminal.com, but he dosen't have the three pin in stock.

Maybe if you email he can get some. I'd definitely order more if they had them in.

HE .050 Connector
Item# HC 050-2 Or Male

Yes -- HE .050 Connectors. 2-pin for L/R turn signals (orange and light blue), 3-pin for the tail/brake.

You can get the 2-pin US shipped (USPS from NJ) from cycle-terminal.com, but he dosen't have the three pin in stock.

Maybe if you email he can get some. I'd definitely order more if they had them in.

HE .050 Connector
Item# HC 050-2 Or Male
Sorry to ask for spoon-feeding. Do you know where I might get the matching 4P connector for this?

https://www.partzilla.com/product/h...MIu5P4x8mP9wIVh8qUCR1o7QzTEAQYASABEgICtPD_BwE

No problem. Unfortunately I am not sure. That is a different type of connector than the ones I see on my 2013 700X. If I get a chance today I can do a little research on it and get back to you.

No problem. Unfortunately I am not sure. That is a different type of connector than the ones I see on my 2013 700X. If I get a chance today I can do a little research on it and get back to you.
That is very kind. But please do not do any research/spend any of your free time on my account. I was taking the easy path by asking here.

If it turns out the special factory style connector is not available……….

Cut both end off and use individual bullet connectors. If it a junction the same style connectors are available in two and three junctions.

DD10A2FE-D2E0-4A16-89DE-BA878771609B.jpeg342F9776-E970-4FAE-B6DB-DD1684221420.jpeg23AB31C9-DBC0-4EB6-B72A-63973B3F614C.jpeg

Back