• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

(Edited) 2021 Land of the Dragon Gathering

I won’t have a communicator with me, just ear plugs.

I am back after being forced to quit riding again for about 3 years. I had already decided to go to the dragon. Imagine my surprise when I saw this trip planned. I booked a room at the nearby Appalachian Inn because Iron Horse is full. I will be there with my NC700X the 20th - 23rd.

I look forward to reconnecting with the group and meeting a lot of you in person for the first time.

FYI - I contacted Iron Horse today about tent camping and below is their reply. I'm really disappointed at the cost ($40.75/night). KSL is $20. Blueridge (NC), Two Wheels of Suches (GA), and Willville (VA) are $15. I had heard something about them charging hotel tax or something. Anybody want to change locations?

Hi Robert,

No reservation required, the cost is $40.75 with fees included per tent.

FYI - I contacted Iron Horse today about tent camping and below is their reply. I'm really disappointed at the cost ($40.75/night). KSL is $20. Blueridge (NC), Two Wheels of Suches (GA), and Willville (VA) are $15. I had heard something about them charging hotel tax or something. Anybody want to change locations?

Hi Robert,

I agree that the prices are high. They are even playing the add-on “resort fee” game. However, I paid in advance in order to reserve an RV spot, so I am locked in. If they are sold put at those prices, more power to them, but I suspect it may be my last stay there, unless for some reason I’m just blown away with the “resort”. Anyway, I’ll give Iron Horse a try.

It’s rather late in the game to change the venue, and again, too late for me to change unless I forfeit what I paid.

Hi Robert,

ST-O had a Campstoc or something there some years back. It was too high falooten for me even splitting a twin bed cabin and I never went back. I ride by it a lot though. LOL.

Hi Robert,

That isnt what is on their website: They must be charging some out of this world additional fees......
1620731612358.png

I replied back saying that was high for tent camping and asked them what the fees are. I suspect it's the resort tax. I heard they were doing that but didn't think it would apply to tent camping.

I agree it's too late to change the venue. I'll be splitting a room with a friend (Allan from TN - rides an FJR). We'll meet you all for rides and meals etc.

FYI - here's their reply to my inquiry about fees:

The tent is $25.00/night. Then there is a nightly resort fee of $15.75. This covers wifi, parking, and all other amenities.

FYI - here's their reply to my inquiry about fees:

The tent is $25.00/night. Then there is a nightly resort fee of $15.75. This covers wifi, parking, and all other amenities.
Well, that sucks...charging for crappy wifi, parking (really parking at a motorcycle campground), the other amenities-shower/bath house....jeesh...

Well, that sucks...charging for crappy wifi, parking (really parking at a motorcycle campground), the other amenities-shower/bath house....jeesh...
Yes. The resort fee gimmick, when applied, has driven me away from private hotels and campgrounds. My preference leans more toward government based campgrounds like state and county parks and National Parks/Forests. Unfortunately with the surge in camping popularity, campsite availability is becoming a problem. I might have been staying at a National Forest site through the get-together weekend instead of Iron Horse, but the NF campground was already booked up for the weekend.

Yes. The resort fee gimmick, when applied, has driven me away from private hotels and campgrounds. My preference leans more toward government based campgrounds like state and county parks and National Parks/Forests. Unfortunately with the surge in camping popularity, campsite availability is becoming a problem. I might have been staying at a National Forest site through the get-together weekend instead of Iron Horse, but the NF campground was already booked up for the weekend.
and that is why we like Mo.....none of that bs resort fee gimmick and free wifi,,,,and a pay as you go drink fridge....too bad she didnt open up the week before Memorial Day weekend...and Iron Horse charging for reservations and losing all monies if you cancel....that is bad business model....but these are newer owners (2-3 years)....

and that is why we like Mo.....none of that bs resort fee gimmick and free wifi,,,,and a pay as you go drink fridge....too bad she didnt open up the week before Memorial Day weekend...and Iron Horse charging for reservations and losing all monies if you cancel....that is bad business model....but these are newer owners (2-3 years)....
Let’s plan on Kickstand Lodge for next year, or even do a gathering this fall! I miss that place.

I lost interest in Iron Horse when the current owners bought the place and kicked out the Horizons Unlimited annual meeting there. Have yet to hear anyone on any forum say anything good since new owners took over.

Depending on the weather, I will be there on Wednesday, the 19th now...going to use work comp time I have accrued (salaried, so dont get paid overtime) and come in on Wednesday....be there sometime Wednesday afternoon...(takes about 6.5 hours to get there from my house via superslab to Knoxville, than 129 to 28)...

Depending on the weather, I will be there on Wednesday, the 19th now...going to use work comp time I have accrued (salaried, so dont get paid overtime) and come in on Wednesday....be there sometime Wednesday afternoon...(takes about 6.5 hours to get there from my house via superslab to Knoxville, than 129 to 28)...
I will be there all week, not always at Iron Horse, but close by. Maybe we can meet up Wednesday or early Thursday.

Coming in earlier, maybe you can get one of the real campsites, not just a few square feet of grass on the lawn.

I will be there all week, not always at Iron Horse, but close by. Maybe we can meet up Wednesday or early Thursday.

Coming in earlier, maybe you can get one of the real campsites, not just a few square feet of grass on the lawn.
Greg, I sent you a message with my cell #...I am planning on riding thru the Dragon on my way there unless I decide to take another way and come over via Tellico Plains...Either way, I should be either at Deals Gap or in Tellico Plains sometime between noon and 1pm...depending on route, traffic, weather...

For the military veterans and first responders get a 30% discount at Iron Horse, Garrett at Iron Horse told me. And he never mentioned the resort fee during our conversations in March.

Back