• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

EICMA 2022: Honda Debuts the XL750 Transalp

admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Honda’s finally revealed their middleweight adventure bike – and the resurrection of the OG Transalp legacy continues!

The debut dropped at this year’s iteration of EICMA, where the Japanese multi-conglomerate firm showed off more than one color scheme to the eager public.

Take a look at this video taken at EICMA by a friend of the team:

Based on what we know, the Honda XL750 carries a steel diamond frame and the same heart as the new CB750 Hornet; a 755cc, parallel-twin engine (with a 270° crank) revving through 90.5hp @ 9500rpm and 55.2ft-lbs of torque @ 7250rpm, with an advertised “substantial top end punch, with mountains of torque in the low to mid rpm range” (via Honda’s press release)

That’s a lot of cheddar, considering the original Transalp hefted 386lb/50hp.

Honda's new XL750 Transalp. Media sourced via Honda.
Honda’s new XL750 Transalp. Media sourced via Honda.

The XL750 pulls inspiration from other Honda models; her Unicam head working “35.5mm diameter inlet valves – with 9.3mm lift – via cam, and 29mm diameter exhaust – with 8.2mm lift – by rocker arm” is the same as the MX competition ready CRF450R. With the improved throttle response also comes Honda’s integration of Nickel-Silicon Carbide – Ni-SiC – coating in her cylinders (the very same as is currently sitting in the CRF450R and CBR1000RR-R Fireblade).

Due to the clever decision of allowing the primary drive gear to spin the balance shaft, balancer drive gear isn’t needed; instead, more room is made while the concealed water pump on the left engine cover keeps everything neat and tidy.

Honda's new XL750 Transalpine. Media sourced via our own channels; all rights reserved.
Honda’s new XL750 Transalpine. Media sourced via our own channels; all rights reserved.

Of course, what would an ADV bike be without the cushy stuff? Showa 43mm SFF-CATM USD forks to the honors here, with the rear shock operating through Pro-Link.

For electronics, we’ve got everything running through Honda’s Throttle By Wire, getting the rider 5 riding modes with various combinations of “Engine Power, Engine Braking and Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC) with integrated Wheelie Control.”

Honda's new XL750 Transalp. Media sourced via Honda.
Honda’s new XL750 Transalp. Media sourced via Honda.

Beyond that, Honda’s decked this model out with an HISS security system, an optional quickshifter, and a 5-inch TFT colour display capable of a Honda Smartphone Voice Control system, with LED lighting showing off Emergency Stop Signal technology and auto-cancel as a convenient add-on.

Expect the Honda XL750 Transalp to be available in Matt Iridium Gray Metallic, Matt Ballistic Black Metallic and a more modern homage to the original, classic Ross White Tricolour.

Honda's new XL750 Transalpine. Media sourced via our own channels; all rights reserved.
Honda’s new XL750 Transalpine. Media sourced via our own channels; all rights reserved.

Pricing is TBA, with an EU debut ahead of a potential (fingers crossed) arrival in the US; stay tuned, drop a comment below letting us know what you think as more comes down the pipeline, and as ever – stay safe on the twisties.

*Media sourced from our own channels, as well as Honda’s press release*

The post EICMA 2022: Honda Debuts the XL750 Transalp appeared first on webBikeWorld.

Continue reading...

Too bad they aren't offering the DCT. Nice that it uses CAN-bus to add auxillary electric items. That seat position looks tight. Hopefully it will comfortably fit a rider over 6 foot (183cm) tall without having to add handlebar risers, lowered pedals, and a custom seat.

Too bad they aren't offering the DCT. Nice that it uses CAN-bus to add auxillary electric items. That seat position looks tight. Hopefully it will comfortably fit a rider over 6 foot (183cm) tall without having to add handlebar risers, lowered pedals, and a custom seat.
In any case this new Trans Alp should be an improvement over my old KLR.

I wonder how long it will take to show up locally.

Has it been announced for the US yet? I haven't seen anything saying it is coming here in 2023. I hope I am wrong...

Glad to see new bikes but they seem to be just teasers. This is a radical idea, but perhaps bike makers could design, produce and ship new versions before they market them. I suspect there is an ever growing demand for improved motorcycles so it's not necessary to promise new and not deliver.

I still remember the level of excitement I had when the dealer called (with a dial phone) to tell me the 68 GTO I ordered a month before was on the truck. I think it was 4 days later they called to say it was ready to be picked up. I burned the Tiger Paws all the way back to the barracks...what a GREAT feeling!!!!!! Wish I still had it.

I got my hands on one of these bikes today. My primary interest was in the DR800 Strom which was also in the shop but not on demo. However I asked if I could ride the Honda out of curiosity and albeit with only 140kms on the odometer I was allowed to have it under the not unreasonable constraints of adhering to running in treatment. That meant not exceeding 5000rpm and of course staying away from motorways etc, which suited me perfectly.

I have been skeptical about the bike from inception given the budget suspension that has become the norm for mid and low priced bikes from Honda and which for me at least was unacceptable. The poor shocks on my X-Adv and CRF300L being two cases in point, and also my former NC700X. Also the recent CB500X's that I had run in for a friend.

Off I went on the roughest roads (short of offroad) that I could find locally. Almost immediately it was evident to me that the shock was working well over rough ground. The forks were a little firm, but as I said the bike had only 140kms on board so they will loosen up a little, and with the further 150kms that I put on the bike today that already started to happen albeit gradual. So the suspension works satisfactorily and this is the first Honda in some time that I would not need suspension modification on if purchased.

Ergonomically the bike fitted me perfectly both sitting and standing. The seat was very comfortable. The screen works well.

The engine doesn't have significant bottom end torque, but it builds steadily from 2500/3000 rpm. Approaching the 5000rpm deadline that I had set, the power was starting to come on strongly. The motor felt a little buzzy thru the bars but it didn't bother me noticeably. It revs freely and encourages one to do so, and to use the gearbox freely. The gearing is on the high side for such bikes with 4000rpm indicating 110kph.

By the time I returned the bike there were 290kms on board and the tank was still showing a couple of bars range. I suspect that the motor is possibly in NC territory with regard to fuel consumption.

In summary I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I would consider the bike to be a backroad flier with a very confidence inspiring front end and compliant suspension. I believe I could do long distances on it over long periods comfortably. While I did not visit any fast main roads, the feel of the motor suggests that it can easily handle Motorway plus speeds all day. Imho because of its very vulnerable sump and underslung exhaust, the bike would not be suited to very rough offroad, and a sump plate would need to be very robust.

On my return to the shop I threw a leg over the Strom and found it to be considerably taller. I can flat foot the Honda, but my heels are well off the ground on the Strom. Pity I couldn't have gotten a spin on both.

IMG_4774.JPG

IMG_4773.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have made no secret of the fact that I very much like this bike. However I have already got four bikes and that is enough for me, so one has to go if I am to make room for a Transalp. After further testing back to back with my X-Adv I have decided that the X-Adv is not going to be the one to go. If I do proceed with purchase of a Transalp, then the bike now at risk is my CRF300L. The other two each have a specific purpose. One is our two up tourer and the other is an elderley (1989) Dominator that I have over 10 years for classic events.

The little 300 is a much liked motorcycle. I have it solely for the purpose of trail riding and a couple of offroad events annually. It gets used on backroads occasionally, but of late it has been lying up a lot, sometimes for several weeks on end. In short at age 72 I am not doing as much offroading as I used to. I am also finding long days offroad are taking a lot more out of me than they used to. As many on here who ride offroad will know, disaster in rough going at speed, can be just around the corner. To date my confidence has been good and I can ride well, but when to stop ? This is a question I have posed to myself of late. A good friend kept riding for as long as He felt comfortable, but then one day he came off and broke his leg. The decision was made for him.

So if I trade my 300 for a Transalp I am shutting a door. A Transalp will still allow me do easy tracks and trails and maybe I will be happy enough with that, plus the backroads and lanes that I spend most of my motorcycling on nowadays. Lots to think about........

Back