• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Elbow and Knee Armor

Jim Mc

Reaction score
Visit site
In a Sep 2019 thread, melensdad said "knee armor does not protect the knees! Not really happy with that fact . . ."

Me neither. I've long been bothered by elbow and knee armor that locate themselves to where-the-hell-ever instead (it seems) where they are needed - under your elbow and over your knees in a crash. Can anyone think of a way to secure the pads where they will do some good in a crash? Part of the problem is that the coat carrying the armor is likely to move away from the areas you want to protect in a crash and not prevent broken stuff from an impact. Can anyone think of a way to secure pads where they will do some good in a get-off?

Jackets and pants with webbing cinch straps and that have a good fit to begin with, long knee armor whose pants have sufficient height adjustment, and finally, when the climate you ride in is not so hot you detest the idea: tight fitting stretch underlayers with armor. There are a number of options, both class 1 and class 2.

I know a couple people who've had tailors add cinch straps to their jackets and pants. Also know people who dispense with their pants' knee armor and wear stand-alone knee armor OVER their pants.

Gloves too: One thing I've noticed about a lot of gloves: the wrist velcro doesn't have enough surface area to really keep things tight over a longer duty cycle. I'm adding some to a couple pairs I have. I'd just as soon the glove stayed on in a crisis ; }

Also questionable how many polyester and nylon fabrics are going to melt into the skin on a prolonged high-speed slide.

One way to better locate the padding or armor is to wear it separately from the outer, presumably-abrasion-resistant garment. Many of us wear armored under-shirts and under-pants such as that offered by Bohn, Knox, Forcefield, and others. Others wear a sort of modular system separate from both the outer- and under- layers of clothing.

The advantage to these methods is they generally work quite a bit better to positively locate the pads. The main disadvantage is that they require more prep time prior to a ride or both before and after a commute.

The advantage to the cinch straps on the outer layer as mentioned above is relative speed and ease of use. One disadvantage is that the cinch straps eliminate airflow up sleeves or pant legs (very bad for someone using evaporative cooling in a climate like mine).

So, there are options, and they each have their advantages and disadvantages.

when the climate you ride in is not so hot you detest the idea: tight fitting stretch underlayers with armor. There are a number of options, both class 1 and class 2.
One way to better locate the padding or armor is to wear it separately from the outer, presumably-abrasion-resistant garment. Many of us wear armored under-shirts and under-pants such as that offered by Bohn, Knox, Forcefield, and others.
-------
dispense with their pants' knee armor and wear stand-alone knee armor OVER their pants.
Others wear a sort of modular system separate from both the outer- and under- layers of clothing.
-------
The advantage to the cinch straps on the outer layer as mentioned above is relative speed and ease of use. One disadvantage is that the cinch straps eliminate airflow up sleeves or pant legs (very bad for someone using evaporative cooling in a climate like mine).
I haven't noticed it in say 104F weather but I don't think I'd ride much hotter than that anyway... but the idea of a 3/4"-1" cinch strap isn't to use it like a tourniquet, it's mainly just to take excess fabric out of the equation and provide a stop.

As a sidebar I wish more companies would get the idea of CARGO POCKETS on their pants instead of in front (and back – like I want to have something more in between the seat and me!). Especially with mesh pants, having pockets in front is not as comfortable sometimes, and kills some flow. A cargo pocket on the other hand if designed correctly can be reached into whether standing or sitting on the bike, no struggle. If you have to produce a passcard or phone a lot you begin to realize this ; }

Last edited by a moderator:
when the climate you ride in is not so hot you detest the idea: tight fitting stretch underlayers with armor
I will note that the discontinued Dainese underlayer pants I've had since 2014 or 2015 by Dainese breathe incredibly well – even the level 1 armor and its underlayment pass air well. No bulk you'd notice even under tight jeans, they've held up over hundreds of long days, and they provide a "slip layer" under whatever outerwear that keeps things from bunching up or getting clammy; way less encumbering under mesh pants than even mesh pants alone are. The armor is so comfortable I often don't change out of them when I get back until it's time for bed, and yet it still stays over the knees and hips (and tailbone if you have that piece inserted). No abrasion resistance or I'd probably wear them with just a pair of cargo shorts ; }

My Spidi jacket has cinch straps above and below the elbows. Their exact adjustment makes a large difference in airflow and cooling on warm (say 95 - 105F) to hot days. I’ve had other m/c clothing with cinch straps. It’s how they work, and it’s predictable as can be. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

For the record, on ONE brand of my motorcycle pants the knee armor seems to float around as if it has a mind of its own, it rides way to high and is non-adjustable. That pair of pants is a Bullit brand by Oxford.

I have a pairs of both KLIM and Rev-it pants also. Both of these brands have adjustable knee pads that actually fit right over the knee and I believe (but I hope to never test) would offer protection.

So it is my belief that brand, fabric cut and adjustability make a difference.

Last edited:
For the record, on ONE brand of my motorcycle pants the knee armor seems to float around as if it has a mind of its own, it rides way to high and is non-adjustable. That pair of pants is a Bullit brand by Oxford.
I think Oxford is now the distributor and not the originator, but not sure.

So it is my belief that brand, fabric cut and adjustability make a difference.
Brand doesn't always get it. Both revered and reviled brands have had hits and misses. My Oxford Montreal 3 pants got a lot right, and really have about zilch to do with Bull-It jeans. But adjustable height is really only single factor. If knee and elbow armor can easily rotate around the limb or up or down as the force of an impact or slide affects it, then it really doesn't matter where the armor is when a rider is standing or sitting on the machine.

That's the way it is with my Klim Dakar pants, though to be fair anyone who is dirt riding would forget the armor pockets and use separate knee protection. My Joe Rocket mesh pants are considerably better for armor placement and the chance that it will actually stay in place when force is applied. But that's where the integrated underlayer/armor seems to pull ahead, as do the units typically worn for hard-core dirt use.

The sad truth though is that one is probably going to get burned in a lot of slides, if using conventional nylon or polyester fabrics, with some of it burning into the skin ; } ... it's all compromises.

I've long been bothered by elbow and knee armor that locate themselves to where-the-hell-ever instead (it seems) where they are needed - under your elbow and over your knees in a crash.

My Aerostich suit allows me to move the knee pads and shoulder pads where I want. They can tailor one to your specs (which is what I did) or you can buy off the rack. https://www.aerostich.com/suits

Re rider wear materials -
Attended a great BMW presentation re their gear and materials.

Textile, codura - look for codura 800. Thats the melt-point. Most gear is cordura-400
Not even all BMWs textile gear is 800.

Leather, full grain hide. Inexpensive leather abrades as quick as denim. Unfortunately people buy with their eyes and wallets. So do you know what you are buying? - most times, no.

Good TESTED gear is rare. BMW were the first to test their gear and develop standards.

Sounds like I'm a fan of BMW rider wear, and I am. Currently wearing Klim, but have had BMW stuff and its great too.

BMW - (Atlantis) only waterproof leathers Im aware of, with IR heat reflection coating, eg. And its their premium line of course $$. They had a black denim jacket one time for $700. I thought they lost their minds. Turns out it was kevlar, not denim, and the beauty was they made it look like denim.

You need to decide your budget, and see if anything available at that price actually does anything for you. Chances are its all cosmetics - which is fine if thats all you want. However great bike gear isnt cheap. And not all expensive gear is good.

Its a tough job finding something tested, good quality, and safe - that you like and fits.

Fine for me and others to recommend brands/models they had good luck with, but you need to own your own research into the grade of materials used in what you plan to buy.

Buddy was wearing $900 codura 800 jacket with armor on his harley. Hit a deer and he broke his ribs on the windshield.
Other than that, not a scratch. Point being, the pricy gear didnt protect his ribs ... and in an accident, all bets are off.

Investing in advanced rider training is equally important.... but you dont get seen in that lol !

Last edited:
Back