• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Electric Bikes: A Lot Of Promises, But Where Are They?

For the past 100 years we have been able to pull our cars up to a gas pump and fill the tank with gas and be on the way until gas is needed again.
There is no place around here that I can pull up my EV and charge up and go.
Yes I could in my garage. So for commuting it would work. Not for going on vacation or long trips anywhere.
Until the EV charging stations are built, sales will suffer even if all they sell is EVs!
I was on vacation in upper Wisconsin this past weekend and I think I can say for certain 75% of the people that live there drive pickups.
Why? Because in rural areas you need to haul heavy big stuff. EVs wont get that done. Even the new F150 could only do part of the work.
First the city dwellers will have to be sold on EVs. Then it will expand.
For now I do not want any EVs. Not one.
I dont even want a commuting EV bike - all I see are fugly anyway!
Yes. Think about evacuations from a hurricane, Mt St Helen’s, whatever. Then think about Miami and the number of EVs there. A 20 unit charging station can charge 1000 vehicles in 37.5 hours with a 30 second vehicle transition. It does not work. Then you make it to Orlando, maybe, before requiring a recharge and presuming Tesla or whoever did not push the OTA efficiency update. In any case you still only make it to Gainseville, which was severely impacted by Irma. Don’t get me wrong. I do want an electric vehicle and wants lots of others to own them too. But not at the risk of harm to anybody’s family.

If exhaust fumes were killing the planet, it would be dead already. Climate change is a Chicken Little fallacy.

I don’t know that is true. Our climate is changing, that’s pretty much settled. Humans’ contribution, or to what extent, is the subject of divided scientific opinion. NASA has some interesting information on climate change that informs on both sides of the opinion. I’m not saying humans are or are not contributing to climate change. I have to ask for help on fork fluid…no way I’m smart enough for that subject.

Volcanos and Hurricanes does raise a good point. For apocalypse planning, Diesel is the ways to go. If you are fighting mutants in the wasteland, you won't find a tesla charging station outside of barter town, and you would have to fight a giant special needs kid and his mounted dwarf to get at it. For gasoline, it's more plentiful, but still limited.

With diesel, on the other hand, you can make your own fuel with a little bit of algae, some water, and some ingenuity.

Advertising and propaganda would not keep people from buying electric vehicles if they made sense to people spending their own money. Battery technology has hit a plateau in which the changes are small and incremental. We are close to the theoretical limit on current technology. A lot of smart people are working on this.

Advertising and propaganda would not keep people from buying electric vehicles if they made sense to people spending their own money. Battery technology has hit a plateau in which the changes are small and incremental. We are close to the theoretical limit on current technology. A lot of smart people are working on this.

I think the next generation after lithium will solve these issues. They've been looking at Graphene, and even layering graphene with lithium has huge improvements on modern tech. So yes, we are close to the limit on current tech, but the next tech is at least on the drawing board and hopefully not too far away.

Back