• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine light stuck on ? school boy error !

JaysNC22

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. Had the engine fault light stuck on with no issues. Tried every To get rid of it but no luck. Took it to Honda miles Kingsport Hull who were fantastic. Found out it was my fault I’d put on main stand to oil chain and ran the engine in gear to spin off the oil. ABS sensor picked up back wheel spinning but not front hence the fault. School boy error but good to know

Hi. Had the engine fault light stuck on with no issues. Tried every To get rid of it but no luck. Took it to Honda miles Kingsport Hull who were fantastic. Found out it was my fault I’d put on main stand to oil chain and ran the engine in gear to spin off the oil. ABS sensor picked up back wheel spinning but not front hence the fault. School boy error but good to know
Good heads up, Thanks.

I put my 2015 DCT (w/ ABS) up on the center stand when oiling the chain, and put it in gear so the chain revolves so I can use two hands to oil (one on the oil bottle, one on a rag to help spread it out and prevent drips). However, I never give it any gas ... it's just idle RPMs slowly spinning the rear. I guess if the sensor sees any significant movement you get the issue.

Last edited:
...I’d put on main stand to oil chain and ran the engine in gear to spin off the oil. ABS sensor picked up back wheel spinning but not front hence the fault. ...
Of course, I do not recommend it, but I can do it with my 2015 CTX700 DCT/ABS and there will be no fault information. DCT can only run in 1st gear.
If there was an ABS DTC then the ABS light would start blinking.
I'm guessing your bike is an NC750X w/ABS. Only other non-U.S. NC owner can tell you if running the engine in gear when in center stand is triggering the fault.
I don't see any reason for that to be the case.
But you can repeat it. If the MIL or ABS light comes on then the trouble code can be erased from the PCM memory relatively easily.
But this is only for curious people. See how reliable the dealer's diagnoses are. Since the cause of the error could be different, one-time only and erasing the problem code will solve the case without looking for the cause.

On my 2015 NC700XD I spun up the rear wheel once trying to get going in deep sand. The ABS light came on and the bike would not shift out of first gear but just turning the key off and restarting the engine took care of the light and it again shifted normally. I wonder what is different with the NC750XD?

I'm sure you old timers are too smart to hurt yourselves but I've heard of mangle fingers that got caught up in the chain and sprocket when using the engine to move the chain while oiling it. Since I'm prone to really stupid human tricks, I clean and lube with one hand and turn the wheel with the other.

I've done the same thing as above. The dealer reset it. But recently I kind of stuttered when I hit the ignition button and a bunch of lights came on. After restarting, they all went off but the engine light. It still rides perfectly fine, I got a couple hundred miles on it last weekend, but the engine light is still on. Any way to get it off without taking it to a dealer?

Try disconnecting the negative cable on the battery for a few seconds and then reconnecting it.
Is there any technical explanation that disconnecting the negative battery cable cures electronic system problems? What can happen in electrical circuits when there is no electric current flow and all functions stop working?

Try disconnecting the negative cable on the battery for a few seconds and then reconnecting it.
What power to the motorcycle’s control electronics is not already shut off via the key switch?

What can happen in electrical circuits when there is no electric current flow and all functions stop working?
Information previously stored in volatile memory can be lost.

Information previously stored in volatile memory can be lost.
Volatile memory is the memory that can keep the information only during the time it is powered up. Many computer operating systems use such memory to hold information predictably for use to speed up operations. But PCM/ECM does not have such memory in these motorcycles. There is permanent memory for storing operational parameters. If there was such a thing, the service manual would certainly recommend disconnecting the battery to eliminate errors.
For example, the manufacturer of my router recommends periodically disconnecting the power supply to improve the connection speed.

Volatile memory is the memory that can keep the information only during the time it is powered up. Many computer operating systems use such memory to hold information predictably for use to speed up operations. But PCM/ECM does not have such memory in these motorcycles. There is permanent memory for storing operational parameters. If there was such a thing, the service manual would certainly recommend disconnecting the battery to eliminate errors.
That may be true, but your post #9 questions were generic, referring to “electronic system problems” and “electrical systems”, and not mentioning motorcycle or NC7x0 systems in particular. So I gave a generic answer.

... your post #9 questions were generic, referring to “electronic system problems” ...
I didn't think that when participating in a discussion in the NC750 technical section, we had to be specific about what electronic systems we were talking about.
It would probably be best to say that such advice on disconnecting the batteries on these motorcycles is nonsense.

Back