Engine management warning indicator

Des

2012 NC700X (37500kms): My engine management warning light has started coming on intermittently with no noticeable change in engine performance. Switching ignition off cancels the indicator but it comes on again after a few minutes. Trying to link it to an event/action proves fruitless, but I initially thought it occurred at a gear change. Yesterday while at idle waiting for the garage door to open (bike on side stand) the indicator began flashing on/off at one second intervals. I will check for loose connections and have an idea it could be the oxygen sensor failing (my guess). Has anybody had this experience or able to point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Hi Des, the indicator light you are referring to is frequently called the Check Engine light (abbreviated CEL) or Malfunction Indicator Light (abbreviated MIL). You can find a ton of great information on this site about the bike including the CEL light and its functions with the search feature, so I won't attempt repeat it all here. The one thing that I will say is that the CEL light flashing with the engine running and sidestand down is a NORMAL condition when a fault has been detected. You can count the blinks to determine the numerical code (or multiple codes) that will indicate where the area where the fault occured. - No need to spend time looking for a loose wire.

Start with the website search using the terms above to get a list of trouble codes and narrow down the culprit. We can help

Good luck,
Saturday.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
I was going to suggest that you read the fault code by lowering side stand with the engine running and the transmission in neutral. It seems you already did that without knowing it. The flashes are telling you what type of fault turned on the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). Do this procedure again next time the MIL is on, but count the blinks. You should get a two digit code based on the number of blinks seen. For example, two long blinks and one short blink would be code 21. Look that up in a service manual, or report back here and someone can interpret it for you.

Last edited:

Des

Thanks for the guidance. This morning there was no MIL until after about 5 kms. Back home I counted 8 long blinks + 6 short ones.

davidc83

Site Supporter
86 error code is a "communication error" for the display...Usually this is caused by a bad connection at the battery (loose connections or corroded connections) or a loose connection at the back of the display..
1. Disconnect both the hot and ground wires at the battery...if you have any devices directly connected to the battery terminals-clean them and clean the hot/ground wires...Reconnect.
2. If it still occurs,,, disconnect the cable on back of the display...easy-remove the windshield, remove the 3 screws on back of display...slide display out about 1 inch, disconnect/reconnect.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
I fully agree with davidc83’s comments already posted. 86 code is a meter communication failure, and every time I can remember someone on the forum reporting this error, it was the result of low battery voltage or poor battery cable connections. It seems the combination meter (the speedometer) is the first component to complain when voltage on the 12 volt system gets low.

Follow davidc83’s advice above. If you have an accurate voltmeter available, check battery voltage with the bike running and with it off after a couple hour rest period. Most likely you have bad battery connections or you may need a new battery.

davidc83

Site Supporter
I fully agree with davidc83’s comments already posted. 86 code is a meter communication failure, and every time I can remember someone on the forum reporting this error, it was the result of low battery voltage or poor battery cable connections. It seems the combination meter (the speedometer) is the first component to complain when voltage on the 12 volt system gets low.

Follow davidc83’s advice above. If you have an accurate voltmeter available, check battery voltage with the bike running and with it off after a couple hour rest period. Most likely you have bad battery connections or you may need a new battery.
I had the issue last May at the MOs get together...Started on my way down from Louisville, but no big deal. Bike ran fine...I didn't mess with it while down at MOs (try not to do maintenance work away from home): it was starting, charging, and running fine... after I got home, I did both the procedures before starting the bike again and problem has not reoccurred..My guess: I have a 12 v car adapter, LED lights, heated glove liner, and pig tail for battery tender connected directly to the battery (I know, I know...I have a connector box waiting to install-just haven't decided where to mount it yet) and I suspect one of the connectors corroded...I disconnected everything, took a small file and ran over the connectors until shiny and reconnected them...

MZ5

Here’s my experience with code 86 last year: