• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine Temp

Whatever gives you the assurance you need. I think it was necessary I'd use my digital infrared temperature gauge and measure at the radiator inlet just under the radiator cap. That's just downstream from the thermostat.

My assurance in MILs comes from two bad thermostats in 50 years of mechanized travel. A 1967 Mustang in 1975 or so and a 2005 Honda ST1300 in 2007. That's conservatively 1.5 million miles.

The SM says the ECT sensor via MIL will alert hi coolant temps, but nothing about lo temps so appears irrelevant regarding my concern. A Honda technician tells me my CRV will alert both hi and lo temp conditions, but I have doubts.
The PCM via programing could detect both conditions. I'll post detailed baseline warmup data from my NCXD. It has fewer than 100 miles on the clock so know it is functioning like new, albeit a little on the old new side.

Last edited:
You are so right. I'll be alternating the 12 mile trips to my farm this summer between elMO (cub) and the NC to get some miles on it.
Petroleum based products fail quickly from no use. But it has been warmed up several times over these years indoors and know it is in perfect condition.

Sorry to give the purists a heart attack, but I have a $1.00 cooking thermometer that will very likely end up in a discrete location Shoe-Goo-ed behind, (and in contact), with the engine, as was the case with a different MC that I owned 3 years ago. Though it read 20 degrees lower than the actual temperature, the cooking thermometer offset from actual temp was known, and close enough to give me a confirmation that everything was fine; hidden, simple, quick, inexpensive, effective, no headaches.

Sorry to give the purists a heart attack, but I have a $1.00 cooking thermometer that will very likely end up in a discrete location Shoe-Goo-ed behind, (and in contact), with the engine, as was the case with a different MC that I owned 3 years ago. Though it read 20 degrees lower than the actual temperature, the cooking thermometer offset from actual temp was known, and close enough to give me a confirmation that everything was fine; hidden, simple, quick, inexpensive, effective, no headaches.
A pic of the thermometer and mounting location would be appreciated.

I'll post detailed baseline warmup data from my NCXD.
At startup coolant flow is stopped at the radiator top. With the thermo working properly the radiator top will heat up, while the bottom stays at room temp until the opening begins.
A stuck open thermo will have the radiator heating up evenly top to bottom.

Last edited:
My bike does not warm up at the radiator top as quickly as I thought it should, making me wonder if this is normal and the thermo is ok.
Instead of the huge selection of dash light settings I wish it had a more practical coolant temp gauge.

The ST 1300 had a nice gauge that went to 3 bars and stayed there all day. The coolant temp gauge on my FJR drove me nuts. Here's a post I made over on the FJR forum.

"2018 A model, 6 months old, 7000 miles. As one of my settings on my dash "tablet" I have Coolant Temperature. The other day I was riding along and just for giggles flipped to that page and noticed the coolant temp fluctuated a lot, and quickly.

So day before yesterday, on my daily ride I decided to record what mine was doing with my phone video. The ambient air temp was 42 degrees, and I had been riding for 26 minutes before checking to ensure it was warmed up and operating at a normal(?) operating temperature.. I was on a straight flat 4 lane state highway with a 60 mph speed limit running a steady 63 mph. I flipped the page to coolant temp , started the video and recorded for the next 2 miles or 2 minutes and 3 seconds. In that time I got the following readings

159,158,154,156,159,163,172,145,143,149,158,163,168,176,147,141,143,154,163,176,174,158,140,147

Riding steady at constant ambient air temp, steady speed, flat surface it read 24 different coolant temps in 2 minutes over a spread of 36 degrees"

Turns out this is normal. I eventually just quit looking at it. Kept the bike almost 3 years and 39,000 miles and it never over heated. I'd rather have no gauge than one like on the FJR

If there is a listing of output voltages from the coolant sensor, or if you could measure a few voltages from a working system,
with a few resistors, an LED, and some wiring will tell you all you need to know. Turn the LED on when the temp is hot. If not on you have a problem.

Or like 99.9999% of bikes out there, dont worry about what will not happen.

Speaking of the ST1300 thermostats sticking open, the reason they had issues was the black paint on the radiator where the coolant hoses hooked up (overspray inside the fittings) would flake off and cause the stat to stick open. I had a 2005 with this issue. New stat with fresh coolant and flush fixed it. I haven't seen any other Hondas with this issue. As long as I'm getting 70ish MPG I'm not to concerned about it. If my fuel mileage drops off, it would be something to check.

Back