• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ethanol questions

seadog

Reaction score
Visit site
Not every gas station sell pure gas.

2022 manual states we can use gasoline containing up to 10% ethanol. I heard that gas stations can now sell with a higher % ethanol.
In the past I have seen pumps that just say "contains ethanol"

1) What ill effect will we encounter with a higher percentage?
2) Will it damage our engine?
3) How are we to know the true percentage?

I rode 390 miles today and filled up twice, the bike ran fantastic, I keep RPM's around 3600, always shift below 4000. Dash always showed 60+ mpg
Labels on the pump faded so bad I could hardly read "Contains 10% ethanol"
The only station in town, I needed gas. I am too old to push and too fat to walk.

Ferret nailed it. Pumps are clearly marked. Easy to avoid more than 10% ethanol as long as the gas distributor pumps it in the right tank. No control over that at the pump.

Around here, and I'd guess all over, the E15 pumps are marked with 88 octane.
Even have ads on the TV about how its better for the car and environment!!
All engines can take E10 just fine. I guess the newer ones can take E15.
Most pure gas pumps around here are on 91 octane pumps or even 93 octane pumps.
YOU have to be the one to weed through the maze!

There was a proposed rulemaking that would have confused the labeling situation significantly. It got as far as public comment. I cannot tell what the status of that proposed rulemaking is now.

Thank you to all for the info.
Lesson learned, I will pay more attention from now on. Both fill ups were 87 octane with 10% ethanol.

Ironically, it actually takes more energy to produce the ethanol than the energy provided BY the ethanol produced. It's more about government and politics than fuel supply or environment. And the 15% blend just approved for use in June-September is supposed to help bring down gas prices. I guess that remains to be seen...I haven't seen it yet.

Pumps with higher than E10 will be clearly marked.
Here in Pennsylvannia Ethanol markings are being removed from the gas pumps, I gas up every week and none of the stations /franchises that I frequent have the ethanol content marked. If a higher octane gas costs less than a lower octane gas then the higher octane gas most likely has a higher Ethanol content.

Here in Pennsylvannia Ethanol markings are being removed from the gas pumps, I gas up every week and none of the stations /franchises that I frequent have the ethanol content marked. If a higher octane gas costs less than a lower octane gas then the higher octane gas most likely has a higher Ethanol content.
I would think that if you could prove that the unmarked fuel damaged your engine, then that would be the basis for a good lawsuit.

I believe that is against federal law

Does E15 have to be labeled?

EPA currently requires fuel dispenser labels for gasoline-ethanol blends of greater than 10 volume percent (vol%) ethanol and up to 15 vol% ethanol (E15). The label was designed to alert consumers to the appropriate and lawful use of the fuel
.Jan 19, 2021

Ironically, it actually takes more energy to produce the ethanol than the energy provided BY the ethanol produced. It's more about government and politics than fuel supply or environment. And the 15% blend just approved for use in June-September is supposed to help bring down gas prices. I guess that remains to be seen...I haven't seen it yet.
Ethanol made from corn, as in the USA, is a net loser-takes more to make than you get back. I read a few years ago that ethanol from sugar cane (Brazil?) is a net gain, like one gives 7. High ethanol content in an engine not specifically designed for it can be problematic as the ethanol plays hob with hoses, gaskets, etc.

I guess my cars, boats, motorcycles have always been compatible with 10% or less ethanol as I’ve never had a problem.

Ethanol made from corn, as in the USA, is a net loser-takes more to make than you get back. I read a few years ago that ethanol from sugar cane (Brazil?) is a net gain, like one gives 7. High ethanol content in an engine not specifically designed for it can be problematic as the ethanol plays hob with hoses, gaskets, etc.
Yes, sugarcane is a positive gain which is why Brazil uses it. Corn ethanol is a net loser.

AMA was opposed to E15 from the start and opposed to E15 emergency summer time use as well.
Same as small engine manufacturers.

Back