• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Even more bag work...

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was talking with someone on the boards who pointed out that Walmart has very nice "coolers" ($20) that may be used as Saddle bags. I've been very fond of the Nelson Rigg CL855's (see [HERE]), but I've been thinking maybe I could do this for a little less money. The Walmart bags seemed a perfect candidate.

I left the PVC rack the same. That design has proved durable and useful. The new bags from Walmart are the Ozark Trail 36 can bag with hard liner. It's the hard liner that got my attention. It gives shape to the bag, and it affords me a structure that's easy to attach straps to. Before I knew it, I was making another set of saddle bags!

The Nelson Rigg bags are first class, but they we designed to strap to eachother and drape over the passenger (pillion) seat. That's a problem on the NC since I need to lift that seat to gas up.

It would be better if each bag could hang from the grab rail by straps. This would put the weight on the grab rails and less on the PVC brackets. The new bags (Walmart Ozark Trail 36 can cooler bag) could be made to do that via nylon strap quick release straps.

The plastic inner liner resembles a simple waste paper basket, but it fits neatly in the nylon bag and gives the bag it's shape. I cut four verticle slots in the back of the bag and threaded the nylon straps through these. The inner liner is made of fairly sturdy plastic, but it was easy to cut the slots with a box cutter. The nylon straps go into the bag and back out and the quick release fitting makes it simple to strap the bags on to the grab rails. I also made sure the straps went around the first two horizontal supports on the PVC rack.

Cut the slots, thread the straps, and DONE! ... with that part anyway.

Here's the bag I used: Walmart "Ozark Trail" 36 can cooler... grey and black ($18).
IMG_1703a.jpg

The plastic liner inside the nylon bag looks exactly like a common waste paper basket. It's meant to be removable, but I thought it would make the perfect anchor for the straps.

I used a box cutter and cut four slots in the back
IMG_1703b.jpg
The quick release straps go in through the top and out through the bottom. This leaves the plastic quick release ends exposed on the back of each bag so I can go around the PVC frame. (NB: I had to remove the plastic quick release fittings first, then thread through the bag and plastic liner, then put the QR fittings back on.)

It's a simple idea: the bag hangs on two straps suspended from the grab rail so that the grab rail bares most of the weight. The quick release fasteners close between the grab rail and the seat. once closed, the fasteners can be snugged to make sure more of the weight goes to the grab rail.

The Nelson Rigg bags have two quick release fasteners on the bottom of the front/back side of the bag. These I had clipped to the PVC frame to keep the bag from sliding forward or backward. This seemed like a good idea, so I duplicated that on this new effort.

I made two holes on the side of the bag that faces front and on the side that faces behind very close to the bottom of each side.
I used a phillips screw driver and my arm to drill these right through the fabric and the plastic liner at the same time.
I put a single zip tie in horizontally. This gives me something secure to attach the quick release strap to.

Here's that strap that holds the bottom of the bag close to the pvc frame.
IMG_1697a.jpg
the strap on the PVC frame took some work. I made a loop at one end of that strap and then put the strap around the pvc tube and then threded the quick connect through the loop I'd made. It takes some work to get the length correction, but this strap holds the bottom of each bag to the frame so that the bags don't swing out at the bottom in a turn.

Having the freedom to put the quick connect straps exactly where I wanted made this an easy project. The Nelson Rigg bags are still excellent choices, but the quick release fittings aren't exactly where I'd like them to be. With the cooler bags, I could put them exactly where they needed to be.

Here's the finished bags:

IMG_1700a.jpg

IMG_1706a.jpg

IMG_1708a.jpg

IMG_1709a.jpg

IMG_1710a.jpg

I hope I haven't left much out. Thank you for reading.

I want to remove the carrying strap and change it to quick release fittings as well. Right now, the carrying shoulder strap just sort of gets in the way.

Last edited:
Daily: I carry my technicians bag one one side and store my riding gear in the other.

On a Trip: I store clothing and personal stuff in one and riding gear in the other. I carry a mesh coat for when it's hot and a full riding suit for when it's not. I'm always wearing one of them, and the other is in a saddle bag.

This leaves no place for a sleeping bag.... so that's the next project..... a PVC rear rack that will support a top box.
I'm planning to use PVC again.... just to keep it affordable, and I'm planning to make it a removable attachment that will connect with the existing PVC frame structure. (Rube Goldberg lives on.)

This leaves no place for a sleeping bag.... so that's the next project..... a PVC rear rack that will support a top box.
I'm planning to use PVC again.... just to keep it affordable, and I'm planning to make it a removable attachment that will connect with the existing PVC frame structure. (Rube Goldberg lives on.)

Oredered the $31 Amazon Special Top Box
Now it's time to start thingking about how to add on to the PVC saddle bag frame to make the top box work.

edit 26 sep 2014:
I left the PVC frame alone. I ended up making my own top box rails. They worked, but they were nearly as expensive as the GIVI Top Box rails.... which cost only slightly more and worked MUCH better.

givi_1111FZ.jpg

Sometimes DIY isn't the best choice.

Last edited:
Sunrot ate the side of mine at 6 months. Az is rough on fabrics. But at $17 it's not a great loss.

Yes. I notice that really good bags are "sun treated" to resist that. I was spraying mine with Armorall to obviate that... but I don't face anything like AZ sunshine.

I wondered if spraying them with spray sunscreen would have made any difference.... Probably... I did research the sprays made to resist sunrot, but the sprays were all pretty expensive .... to go spraying them on $20 bags from Walmart.

For what it's worth, I'm anticipating sun damage and have my next set of walmart "coolers" in the garage ready to go.

I also got lucky and ordered "damaged" leather bags from Jafrum. $30 for both, so (at $15 each) the leather bags are solid replacements... now I just have to figure out what to treat them with to avoid AZ sun damage!

Last edited:
For what its worth, my Nelson Riggs bags on the Buell only went about 8 months before the seam threads on the zippers went. UV is really bad out here.

Can 303 be used on the seat without turning it into a super slippery squid saddle?

On the page I linked to it says:

Also recommended on

• Finished leather:
    • Upholstery, motorcycle leather, trim, tack, fine apparel.

fine apparel? great, I can put it on my tux!

Man, what an alien concept. Having to spray on stuff to keep the sun from damaging your gear! :eek:

Now see, spraying on stuff to keep water out, that is perfectly understandable.

...sigh, lol :(

Back