• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Everything flashes after removing my key...?

76Hawke

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Occasionly, when turning off the bike and removing my keys, the dash (combination meter?) and all indicator lights including headlight, will begin flashing.
I have figured out that I can induce this issue on my bike by hitting the hazards before turning off the bike. I thought perhaps this (flashing dash) was a feature to remind me that my indicators were flashing and that I didn't leave my hazards on while parking the bike overnight. Unfortunately this flashing has now surfaced a few times where the hazards were not involved. I can resolve the issue by reinserting the key and turning to ignition.
It has happened at least 4 times now, and only once in the rain, otherwise I have no idea what links each occurrence.
Also, is it normal for the dash to blink on and off once you have removed the keys if you leave your hazards on?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/answers.

What model year is the bike?

It is not normal for the dash lights to blink when turning off the bike. You said they “begin” flashing. For how long do they flash after turning the key to off?

Could your ignition switch be flaky? Try turning the key switch off very slowly and then quickly and note any change in behavior.

Are there aftermarket electrical modifications to this bike?

not normal, but anything electrical and digital...sometimes needs a reboot...1. disconnect the battery, wait 10 minutes, reconnect the battery....if still occurs, I would then disconnect the dash...easy to do, remove the windshield...3 screws (looks like plastic or wood screws when removed), pull out the dash about 2 inches and you will see the connect, disconnect...wait a couple of minutes, reconnect the cable, reattach the dash and windshield and see what happens...if still happens, maybe rain/water got down into the ignition; get some electrical cleaning spray and spray into the ignition (I use wd40 occasionally...

It is not normal for the dash lights to blink when turning off the bike. You said they “begin” flashing. For how long do they flash after turning the key to off?

Could your ignition switch be flaky? Try turning the key switch off very slowly and then quickly and note any change in behavior.

Are there aftermarket electrical modifications to this bike?
There are a number of electrical mods...which is what worries me. I have auxiliary lights run through a 3 position switch and a Skene dimmer -that was hooked directly into the system with positaps.
I have heated grips and a usb port powered by the accessory subharness.
An Admore light kit, plate lights, a wireless brake/turn signal indicator for my helmet are all spliced in at the rear of the bike.
I feel as if the direct splices and subharness installs are very clean, but the wireless unit has my spidey sense tingling. The Whistler Motoglo, which I am otherwise very happy with, demands to be installed before any other electrical farkle. It is, but I dont know that I recall this happening before install.
I am also going to trace the Skene (though I would like to wait till winter if I can get away with it) as it was the least thought through install. The Skene is also installed in conjunction with a 3-position switch, which claims to be waterproof, but it definitely has misbehaved in heavy rain and has never toggled 100% of the time.
Everything seems to function otherwise fine, my battery tests fine -but I will disconnect and reconnect after a bit to see if the system could benefit from a reboot as Davidc83 suggested.
.... Just ran out to the garage and fiddled...
It doesn't seem to be affected by rough, fast, or partially turning key while removing it - I tried 15-25 times over a course of 3 trials and couldn't create issue. I was able to make it happen every time by triggering the hazards and removing my key.
Even though my keys were removed however, I could still modulate between headlight and my brights -which are flashing along with every other light on the bike. I can also get it to stop happening by turning the hazards off once the key has been removed.

Almost sounds like the battery is suspect, as in low voltage causing the electrics to go crazy. What is your battery voltage after resting for several hours? Battery connections OK?

Back