• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Experience with a Kawasaki x300 Versys?

Birdman

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a 2012 NCx owner from Minnesota. We have been spending 4 months or so each winter in Arizona. I am considering keeping a bike in Az, and was wondering if any of the inmates here can share their experience/opinion of the x300 Versys, a bike on my short list. (Another possibility would be something a bit older, like a BMW f650gs.)

I prefer something light and easy to maneuver; have done many big displacement rides over the years, prefer something svelte and, uh, less cumbersome.

Good or bad, likes/dislikes, whatever is relevant please share. It may help my make my decision.

I have no personal riding experience with the Versys-X 300, but I’ve had plenty of time to observe one in action. One of our forum members here, Fuzzy, has an NC700X DCT and a Versys-X 300.

I rode two big trips with Fuzzy, from midwest USA to Alaska, and to Newfoundland. Fuzzy chose to take the Versys on both trips. I observed that the Versys-X was a very capable motorcycle. Fuzzy led the trips and at times I had to work to keep up. It did have the drive chain peel off on the Alaska Highway due to an AWOL master link, probably the dealer’s fault as they had installed it. It also developed a bad starter motor that got replaced in Nova Scotia. Being a manual transmission, the starter problem was not a show stopper as the bike could be bump started.

The Versys-X seemed capable of handling a full load of Givi Trekker luggage. I couldn’t see any faults with the machine‘s performance. The Versys was on my short list for a small bike, but I went with a CRF250L Rally instead as I wanted better off road performance for where I wanted to ride it.

You could send a private message to Fuzzy if you were seeking more info. He might also be found on a Versys forum or advrider; I don’t know.

I assume you mean the thumper BMW F650. I had the single 650 (2001) and the twin 800 (2010) pre-NC. The F650 was the most comfortable bike I have ever owned and in hindsight I somewhat regret selling it for that reason. It pulled/rode like a tractor and might have even been a little slower than the NC but it had good character. It certainly did not feel any lighter than the NC700X.

On another hand, I had a WR250R (2008) also. That bike was a blast. Quick and nimble are the best two words to describe it. Extremely light weight, easily under 300lbs wet. Probably not an 'adventurer' like the X300 or F650 would be, but good fun.

Hey Birdman, versys 300x is a decent choice, and underrated bike IMO.

Its biggest faults are the odd tire sizes (requiring tubes IIRC) and the engine is higher maintenance than the nc700. Don't get me wrong, they are very reliable bikes, and there are plenty of ninja 300 riders who take these engines to well over 100k miles without problem, but you have to faff with valve shims, throttle synchronisation, and a more fiddly cooling system than the NC.

OTOH it's significantly lighter + cheaper than the NC, I think the revvy engine is more engaging to ride than the chugga chugga of the NC, and the versys has better wind protection. In most performance metrics such as MPG, range, 0-60, and carrying capacity, it will be roughly the same as the NC :)

A friend had the Versys 300X for a few years and it was very capable. I believe he went up a tooth on the front sprocket to lower the revs a bit.
He sold it this spring and bought a Yamaha FZ-07 and likes it better as it is not as "revvy" and is better on the freeway than the 300x. His opinion.

I thought it was a well put together bike. If I wasn't so "big boned", the 300x would be on my list as a fun second bike.

Back