• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Failure to signal

I have the best self canceling device and it only cost me nothing.
The saying if you do a thing for 21 days it becomes habit.
After every turn I cancel my signal with - wait for it- my left thumb!
AND just like every device its not perfect, but 99.98% of the time it is.
I don't think that my left thumb works properly. Quite often, even though I've pressed the cancel switch, it doesn't cancel. It happened quite regularly on the VL1500.

Sure it might not work sometimes, BUT if you keep it top of your mind for many days - it WILL become habit.
Its a very rare signal cancel that I miss now.

I picked up another one for ¢.01, $13.00 after shipping. If I like it, I’ll install on both of my bikes. If not I’ll give it to a forum member for the same price plus shipping.

Attachments

• 6ABB9C89-5E0D-4D24-B7CB-59BC1FFC46CB.jpeg
    6ABB9C89-5E0D-4D24-B7CB-59BC1FFC46CB.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 10
I got lucky and picked one up for 50 bucks on Ebay, brand new. I am generally diligent on cancelling the turn signals, but I like gadgets, working on bikes, and I really enjoyed Honda's SC signals on my VFR. I'm not sure if I'll put it on my Xmax or my NC. Thanks for the tip on this gadget.
Please post later on your opinion of how well the ST2 self cancelling logic works. In particular, I’m curious if it ever cancels the signal too early, before the turn is complete, a serious problem I had with my Goldwing‘s stock self cancelling turn signals (before I modified it to correct the flaw).

I'm wondering why the u-tube reviews say they have self-cancelling stock, but I think 670cc said it wasn't a U S A feature. If not why, I wonder. I hate returning it on my 900 Kawi.

I'm wondering why the u-tube reviews say they have self-cancelling stock, but I think 670cc said it wasn't a U S A feature. If not why, I wonder. I hate returning it on my 900 Kawi.
If yoo tube videos are reviewing bikes in markets other than USA, they may be correct in stating that self cancelling signals are standard on the NC. Other times, many times, moto journalists and reviewers don’t do their research and what they post is just plain wrong.

The US market for bikes like the NC is weak. US motorcycle buyers in general want low prices. American Honda imports what they think will sell in the USA, and many times that means stripped down versions with fewer features and color choices than what other markets might have available, like in Europe for example.

Please post later on your opinion of how well the ST2 self cancelling logic works. In particular, I’m curious if it ever cancels the signal too early, before the turn is complete, a serious problem I had with my Goldwing‘s stock self cancelling turn signals (before I modified it to correct the flaw).
I found the VFR1200x factory self canceling signals is likely the same as the Goldwing……when it cancels too early. If I signal early I push the button on the factory system twice in the turn sequence to reset the distance/time to cancel.

ST2 I found to not have the early cancel problem……likely because it depends on gyro or lean input to cancel.

Curious what was the mod on the Goldwing ? Kill ( unplug) the distance signal on the signal box ?

On another note……I think ST2 missed the boat on licensing their technology to every manufacturer. $1.00 per bike, would make them rich, no manufacturing, no hassles……just cash the checks.
Similar to SawStop the anti cut table saw feature design when they refused to negotiate a reasonable cost per product and license agreement on their product.

I found the VFR1200x factory self canceling signals is likely the same as the Goldwing……when it cancels too early. If I signal early I push the button on the factory system twice in the turn sequence to reset the distance/time to cancel.

ST2 I found to not have the early cancel problem……likely because it depends on gyro or lean input to cancel.

Curious what was the mod on the Goldwing ? Kill ( unplug) the distance signal on the signal box ?

On another note……I think ST2 missed the boat on licensing their technology to every manufacturer. $1.00 per bike, would make them rich, no manufacturing, no hassles……just cash the checks.
Similar to SawStop the anti cut table saw feature design when they refused to negotiate a reasonable cost per product and license agreement on their product.
The Goldwing is a 2002 GL1800. When activating the turn signal at speed, the signal would flash 8 seconds, or 11 flashes, and shut off. Many times with cages following, I signal early on a 2 lane highway to give tailgaters adequate time to realize I’m going to slow significantly and turn. Very often the signal would cancel before making the turn, which can be as bad as not signaling at all. Thus I had to develop the habit of pushing the signal button repeatedly when approaching the turn. With this hassle I would much rather have no self cancelling signal feature at all.

Someone who owned a Goldwing did the design work and shared a fix. By adding a relay and diode to some easily accessible wires in the right fairing pocket, a signal is pulled from the brake light switches and used to retrigger the signal cancel countdown. So the way my ’Wing works now is that the signal will still cancel after 8 seconds, except that each time the brake lever or pedal is pressed, the countdown resets back to 8 seconds. This is a brilliant solution because when still approaching the turn, it is highly likey that I’ll be activating brake(s). Once I’m rounding the turn, I‘m off the brake(s), and the signal cancels shortly thereafter.

Pressing the turn signal button twice to double the flash time doesn't seem like a hassle to me but the modification to retrigger with brakes removes the hassle if so perceived. What happens when you are signaling far in advance and aren't using the brakes?

Pressing the turn signal button twice to double the flash time doesn't seem like a hassle to me but the modification to retrigger with brakes removes the hassle if so perceived. What happens when you are signaling far in advance and aren't using the brakes?
I don’t think that situation comes up. If I have someone behind me that is the reason I signaled early, I’m tapping my brakes at intervals anyway to activate my flashing brake lights to hopefully get and maintain their attention.

Back