• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fall Ride

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Been thinking about a fall ride in the Virg/ W. Virg. Mountains, thinking about camping at Willville motorcycle campground and riding loops from there. Maybe late Sept. Early Oct. Anyone interested.

Last edited:
Checked out Willville campground in Meadows of Dan. Still thinking about going late Sept. Hope to get the work scedule done this week.

I can't because I'm going to be up there October 15-18. Willville is very nice place to base out of, I can send you some GPS route loops of you want. I've stayed at Willville a half dozen times camping or in the bunkhouse.

They have a bunkhouse? Would remind me of summer camp when I was a kid.

Stayed there a few years ago on a trip north. I was traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway on way to Pennsylvania and didn't have time to check other roads in area. They had some A-frame cabins with a couple single beds and no other amenities. Use the campground bath facilities but don't have to set up a tent. At the time a night in a cabin was $45.

What part?

I thought I would start with where I have been before, many a years ago. North Georgia up to Ashville area. Fontana Dam. Brother in SW Atlanta area (outside perimiter 285).

I don't know if the boys can come. That may limit time/distance/choices. The wife thinks there will probably be a quilt store wherever we go so she wants to go too.

Lots to ride in that area. I suggest the America Rides Maps series. Highlights the good motorcycle roads. I go up that way every May and stay at the Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah. This year we rode some of North Georgia. The "Gauntlet" and a few other roads. I took wifey up there in April. We stayed in Helen. A real tourist trap, but the surrounding area is nice. Found a neat pottery museum just outside of town. Bryson City is a nice place if you are taking the wife. There is an old Inn there, Fryemont Inn, they have a good restaurant attached. I've stayed there a couple of times. You can take the wife on a train ride. She'll like Dillsboro or the craft museum on the Parkway outside of Asheville.

Agree on America Rides Maps. They are great. I have a full set. Color coded for quality of road and miles between points. The miles are very helpful to find turns as many of the good roads are not marked well. He has also started to map off road routes, but I have not seen any of those maps.

I've been trying to attach a gdb file of a nice ride out of Willville but the uploader says it is an "invalid file". I can email it if interested.

Back