• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

False tank open without ignition key modification

sean

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a simple modification so you don't have to keep taking ignition key out every time you want to open false tank storage box.
I went to local locksmith and got two copies of ignition key. They are the same too big size and will turn on ignition but without the chip so won't start.
DSCF4839.jpg

I cut the key and araldited (epoxy resin) it into a plastic "knob" I had in the garage. You need to measure the key carefully so that it sits flush when finished. If you are pushing it into tight fitting piece of plastic you can heat the key stub with blow torch and "mould" it into plastic fitting but you will probably need araldite too to make it permanent.
I just leave this permanently in the lock of the false tank. I'll put up photo. It was first attempt and will make neater version but haven't had time yet. When it's in false tank it doesn't look like key.
DSCF4841.jpg

With ignition key it is awkward when you are getting documents for boat or passport control to switch off ignition, remove key, insert in false tank, open and pass over documents and then the reverse. And sometimes that ignition key doesn’t want to go in ignition easily.
So now the little key is in tank lock and I just turn it and remove the documents or get out my camera or some money for tolls without having to touch ignition.
DSCF4842.jpg

When parking overnight on a trip I take this key out and hang it on carabiner inside false tank.
DSCF4843.jpg

I will probably put on bigger “knob” on key when I get time. Was thinking about similar with panniers but not sure it’s good idea as it might be left “open”.
DSCF4844.jpg

Welcome aboard, Sean! Great job on the Frunk knob (Frunk = Front/Trunk) :D

The chrome cover addition to the top of the trunk, and the resultant reflection, messed with my mind for a bit lol :eek:

Frunk

Hi Trackcage. I did this just after I got the bike. Re-inventing the wheel as you did it before, but of course novel for me.

Hi Master Thrall. I was wondering what was the chrome cover but it's the flash and reflection on the black cover. Ah but now I look closely I see a my carbon bike in the reflection.

Great idea Sean!
Drives me nuts when I have to switch the bike off, take the key out, open the Frunk etc etc
Will look at making one myself, where did you get the Key Cut?

Andy

Key was made in local locksmith. Just brought ignition key to him and it was standard Honda blank from his key rack. No chip obviously so can't be used as ignition key. The knob is the "wing" nut that tightens the bolts on a toilet seat. I know it's stupid but I went through all the bits of plastic I had in an oddments box and it was best fit. The little allen head is just the top of a screw glued on with the araldite. Black nail varnish to make screw head black.
And yes I'll get the Samsung lawyers.

Hi Master Thrall. I was wondering what was the chrome cover but it's the flash and reflection on the black cover. Ah but now I look closely I see a my carbon bike in the reflection.

Black! Duh! That makes perfect sense now, for some reason all I could see on my Ipad was what looked like polished chrome, lol. I thought maybe some of that mirror-like vinyl wrap had been put on. :cool:

Alas, my black bike has never been that shiny :eek:

Sean's got a tool kit. Why the heck doesn't a tool kit come standard in the NC700's sold in the US! ERRRRRRR! Sorry, one of only 2 complaints I have with this bike. Have a great day all. :)

Sean's got a tool kit. Why the heck doesn't a tool kit come standard in the NC700's sold in the US! ERRRRRRR! Sorry, one of only 2 complaints I have with this bike. Have a great day all. :)

;) I think USA bikes are at least a grand (if not way more) cheaper than anywhere else in the world, and yet the most (seemingly) complaints of cost and price point originate from you guys, so perhaps missing under ten dollars of easily sourced and much superior tools, is a worthy trade off?

I know which one I'd choose...:eek:

As previous contributors said I've got a great knob and toolkit and I didn't know you used knob in USA. So no toolkit in USA? Toolkit is well designed kit that covers chain adjusting and other small jobs on the bike.

;) I think USA bikes are at least a grand (if not way more) cheaper than anywhere else in the world, and yet the most (seemingly) complaints of cost and price point originate from you guys, so perhaps missing under ten dollars of easily sourced and much superior tools, is a worthy trade off?

I know which one I'd choose...:eek:
But the other major manufacturers offer realistic tool kits on their U.S. bikes. It's just Honda who got cheap on us when it comes to tools. Sure you could go out and buy those tools for cheap, but most people won't. Then when they find themselves stranded on the side of the road over something simple they are kicking themselves for not having a proper tool kit available.

But the other major manufacturers offer realistic tool kits on their U.S. bikes. It's just Honda who got cheap on us when it comes to tools. Sure you could go out and buy those tools for cheap, but most people won't. Then when they find themselves stranded on the side of the road over something simple they are kicking themselves for not having a proper tool kit available.

Au contraire, mon ami. My $20,000 fully loaded BMW came with a nasty, cheap, plastic screwdriver, and that was it lol

Apologies to Sean for the hijack, btw :eek:

Has anyone converted this to an electric push button switch yet? Like say a dual rocker with an actuator at both the frunk and the rear pillion?

Screw this key crap. Haha.

I love my NC, but man, the new FJ09 looks so nice. More power, better sound. Maybe too small like my NC. Possible Super Tenere upgrade and forget this frunk business.

Anyone wanna buy my NC??

Friend called Oldman on uk site made his a remote release ... works well

Yea, who? I have bought 5 new bikes from 4 different manufacturers since 2007, including expensive BMW, and none had a toolkit, my beemer didn't even come with a cheap screwdriver.

Back