• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fanny Frunk!

GoRovers

Reaction score
Visit site
Since the frunk key mod doesn't work well with the (expensive) 2016+ keys, I leave my frunk unlocked while riding, enabling me to reach in at red lights (or while riding slowly) and take a sip of water.

In the unlikely-but-possible event of a spill, my wallet and cell phone -- also in the frunk -- may fall out. I addressed this concern by cutting the sides and straps off an old zip-up "fanny pack," punching two holes through rear fabric, and attaching it to the two battery cover bolts. After a couple of rides I've found this setup to be quite convenient. (I can easily access manual and USB/trickle charger SAE cord underneath the fanny pack.)

Fanny-Frunk2-w500.jpg

Check out "Moto-Pockets" over on the ADV Riders forum, under "Vendors". I use one inside my Pelican Case Lid. Might be of use inside our "Frunks" as well.....????

Or, here is a link to Bob's website (a nice guy).... The motoPOCKET - adventurePOCKETS

When I see motorcycle-specific add-ons like "Moto-Pockets" I wonder if there's a cheaper, non-motorcycle-intended alternative. For example, my frunk organizer is a $5.99 net shower bag from Amazon. It fits perfectly. (I don't ride with saddlebags -- just a small tailbag -- so my frunk is my suitcase! ;-))

frunk-basket-out.jpg

frunk-basket-in.jpg

Last edited:
I mainly use the frunk to store my helmet, so there is not much in it when riding. Sometimes pepper spray and sometimes something a little stronger, so I keep it unlocked as well, or locked with a spare key in the lock. Locked with a spare key works pretty well. I keep the two keys on a long single coil so I can open the gas or frunk without taking out the key. I don’t do the key mod.

How slow are you riding?

I forgot to close my frunk lid one day and had it pop up while on the freeway, doing about 70-75mph.
I won't ask how you open a twist top on a water bottle while moving.

If there's something you need while you're riding I think a tank bag would be a much better fix.
I'm going to be doing a search for a bag that I can modify to clip onto the 2016's frunk plastic railings.

I ride the NC700S and the key for drunk and fuel is near my left knee, so I'm a bit jealous of the 700X. I usually ride with the frunk open, which occasionally means a gentle tap on my tummy at 100kmh, or a bit slower if it's a windy day.

Saves a lot of time though.

How slow are you riding? I forgot to close my frunk lid one day and had it pop up while on the freeway, doing about 70-75mph.

My frunk lid stays down consistently until 80+ mph. The rider's height and leg positions play the biggest part in whether or not the frunk flies open, i.e...positive/negative air pressure + air flow directions. If, above 80mph, I move my legs wide apart to stretch (I'm 6'0", 175lbs), the frunk lid slowly opens. I close my knees closer to the tank and the lid drops.

I sip water mainly at red lights. Riding the well-balanced NC on a smooth, straight road with no other vehicles around, I can safely remove both hands from the bars and do the Macarena for a few seconds. (Heck, riding my '71 R5 during my days off in the Navy, my friends and I would ride the H1 on Oahu while standing on our seats...but I don't take those types of risks nowadays.)

Last edited:
Back