• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Favorite Bike tools?

To me, a dyna wrench is a must have. I have a couple of them (different torque ratios) since years ago

I have been looking for a good set of tire spoons for a while and came across these, they look pretty good.
Motion Pro Spoon-Type Tire Iron Set of 2 - BikeBandit.com

What bike tools is on your must have list? Links would be appreciated.:cool:

I have a set of those, and I like them, but if you are spooning off a tubeless tire on the side of the road, then something really bad has happened. Also, if I was changing tires at home and didn't have to carry them around, I would want bigger longer ones for better leverage. Taking tire spoons on the bike, to me, is something for people with tube tires who have to break the beads to patch or replace a tube. With tubeless tires, a Stop-n-Go kit and either a compressor or a CO2 kit are what is needed. You will be particularly in trouble on the tubeless tires (and sometimes with tubed tires) when you try to break the bead on them. What I carry when I am going crazy places like Alaska is a Bead-breaker that is built using tire irons as the lever bars. After you break the bead, you can disassemble the bead-breaker and use the tire irons to spoon it off. Only one thing to carry.

If I had the good sense to stay in civilized areas, I'd just go with the Stop-n-Go kit and a well-oiled credit card.

For changing tires you can't beat the mojolever: The Mojolever
The nylon doesn't mark the wheel taking the tire off or putting the new tire on. I have changed dozens of tires with this and not a mark on any rim.

I have the harbor freight tire changer Portable Tire Changer with the motorcycle adapter (no longer listed on their sight) also on the mc adapter nylon lips for the rim to sit in. I have saved so much money mounting my own tires. For balancing Motorcycle Wheel Balancer and a couple jack stands. I have balanced all my tires with this. Ive had them over 140 on my vfr. Now the nc won't see this speed on tires, maybe if you ride off a cliff but tire balance will be the least of you worries.

Well, just google for "dynamometric wrench" and you will get a lot of hits. I'm sorry I can't provide a specific link. Mines are so old that I believe buying in internet was not invented yet LOL

Mines are Cartull and I'm happy with them, just yesterday I checked the calibration and they were perfect, I believe it's a spanish mark

Taking tire spoons on the bike, to me, is something for people with tube tires who have to break the beads to patch or replace a tube. With tubeless tires, a Stop-n-Go kit and either a compressor or a CO2 kit are what is needed.

+1. I have spoons on the toolbox of my trail bike, but not on the NCX, just a tubeless repair kit as Lee said

The Mojolever is a copy of the mount/demount bar that Wikco provides with their changers...

Wikco Motorcycle Tire Changers

The Harbor Freight is a direct copy of the Wikco changer and much cheaper. People used to buy the HF changer and then buy the Wikco tools. They got a bit miffed and finally would not sell tools or replacement parts until you proved ownership of a Wikco changer. Mojo came along and solved the problem for HF owners who needed a decent bar.

I gave my Wikco changer to a friend and bought a No-Mar. However, I still like to occasionally change tires "on the ground" so that I know I am still capable if I have to do a tubeless tire on the road. This picture taken half-way back from Inuvik, Northwest Territories in Canada will provide an understanding of that strategy...

DSC00208.jpg

Last edited:
The Mojolever is a copy of the mount/demount bar that Wikco provides with their changers...

The Harbor Freight is a direct copy of the Wikco changer and much cheaper.

The only difference i see is the rubber pad over the bead breaking area and the color of paint. When harbor freight sold the setup the entire thing was under $100

If that's it your gonna scratch the sh*t out of your rim using that. If its a roadside thing you'd be better off to bite the bullet and have the bike towed to a shop.

That would be the "well oiled credit card" I was talking about. Call a tow truck half-way up the Dempster Highway (on your satellite phone, because the cell phone quit working about Dawson City) and tell me how much they will charge and how long it will take them to get there. When this baby comes out, all of those options have been exhausted, and I don't care if I scratch them or gouge them. If I had beat it with a rock and have someone back over it with a truck, then that is what we'd do.

That would be the "well oiled credit card" I was talking about. Call a tow truck half-way up the Dempster Highway (on your satellite phone, because the cell phone quit working about Dawson City) and tell me how much they will charge and how long it will take them to get there. When this baby comes out, all of those options have been exhausted, and I don't care if I scratch them or gouge them. If I had beat it with a rock and have someone back over it with a truck, then that is what we'd do.

In my case, it was cold hard cash.
I had my BMW R1100R with a friend who kept her in storage in Asia. I went back there for a short holiday, and took her out for a spin to neighbouring Malaysia.
It was a 1-day affair. She was good going there, and then it rained.
One of the sensors (near front of motor) got flooded and she could not fire up no matter what.

My glorious friend (on another R1100R) abandoned me, he went back himself saying he had an appointment. blah blah blah...
I was left there at a local garage, who fixes only 80cc Honda's and in the end, I have to beg him to ferry my bike about 200km to Singapore on his pickup.
Of course his "jungle price" was a princely 400ringgit (about US$150 then?) This amount is like the monthly salary of a policeman in Malaysia back then.

When I reached the border, he refused (or he cannot) bring the bike across the border bridge. I had to push that 300kg beast about 150m to the waiting tow-truck from the Singapore BMW (whom I telephoned in advance). Singapore tow-truck was also disallowed to come across the mid-point of the bridge. WTF!

Final bill came to S$1800 for the bike repair, not inclusive of the "jungle fee" but inclusive tow-truck fee.
:(
Darn. It was for ONE farking daytrip.

I have since sold it to my friend in Singapore, for small amount. He knew about my repair costs.
Ouch.
I believed he rode it for another 2 years and then sold it too.

Last edited:
My favorite "tool" currently is the ignition key.
It can open the tank-box, the petrol seat, the top case and best of all, start the engine.
Yeah!
:p

On my last trip i was in fort worth, at the cool part of the day 4am, and it was still 90 degrees, i installed new tires, tkc on my bike in the under ground garage with the tools i always carry. and aired them up. my favorite tool would be to have someone else install them. dale

Back