• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

FGT at Shenandoah National Park.

frozenpoet

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm kicking around the idea of a Fall get together (FGT) around Shenandoah National Park, A.K.A. Skyline drive. This spot is almost centrally located on the east coast and is near some major highways which should make travel better. There are plenty of camping in the area, from places like KOA's, to the cheap or even free NP or state forests. Time frame I'd be looking at would probably be October so we can see the colors that draw so many people to this area. In reality, I would want to avoid skyline drive as it is way too crowded this time of year, but I know plenty of roads in this area that would offer the views, turns, and relatively crowed and cop free, experience.

Now the question is, who is interested?

Ooo, I am a sucker for SNP, one of my favorite places to go camping. Count me in for a 50% chance, but that might go up as time gets closer

I'm a slight possibility. Daughter is in the band so it depends on their football schedule. Also have to consider Alabama's football schedule. ;)
Thankfully last year I only had to listen to 1 Bama game on the phone while watching her march.

Find a place, post it up and folks will either come or not. At least you will be riding in a beautiful area either way.
Mike

Finding a place is easy, it's just a matter of what people are looking to pay, and what amenities we are looking for. for cheap/free it's hard to beat the national/state parks (shenandoah river state park doesn't normally get very busy), for more full featured there is a new campground that's pretty good other than being right off of I-81. For the non campers in the crowed, there are some really nice hotels in the area (wingate, aloft) and a bunch of lower budget but still pretty nice.

Are the park campgrounds open in October? All the ones on the Blue Ridge were still closed last week. The season for them seems to be pretty short.

Are the park campgrounds open in October? All the ones on the Blue Ridge were still closed last week. The season for them seems to be pretty short.

I know the ones in the national forest are open year round. The Shenandoah River State Park is open year round, and has cabins also. Shenandoah River State Park Cabins will probably be hard to get if we do this at the height of leaf peeping season.

No chance of me being there. My vacations are already planned for this year and I have no bandwidth to add another 5 day trip.

Last edited:
That's about an hour ride from where I live. There's a good possibility I could meet up with whoever goes, even if I'm unable to make a weekend of it. 'May' also be riding with my ladyfriend, who's confidence has been growing commensurate with her practice and skill level. Funny how that works out! :)

I would looking at either the first or second week(end) in October. Should still be warm enough that it's enjoyable, and the leaves should have at least started to change.

Either weekend should be doable for me. And cooler weather is personally preferable. Will have to do a web search of motels in case the s/o decides to ride down. Otherwise, my camp gear is already packed and ready to cinch on.

My wife is considering going now, especially if there is camping involved. She would probably drive a car though so we could bring the dog.

On a side note, I tried to get a first come first serve at Matthews arm today and they had actually filled up yesterday at noon. Crazy busy on holiday weekends

I'm a maybe. I'm planning a trip out west but if it doesn't come together, going to this sounds great, especially at that time of year!

Back