• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Finally! First ride of the year

Chestnut

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was finally able to take my NC out today after a long 8+ months. I've been a bit busy, you see...
NIK_0068.jpg
Our daughter as born July 30th.
I'd planned to ride through January at least, but threw my back out a week before Christmas and spent three weeks on the couch. By the time I could think about riding again I figured the combination of being a bit rusty and my shifting balance made things a no-go. Just as well, I ended up on strict bed rest for four months. In the meantime Chupa spent some time with TCI products so they could prototype out some farkles, which meant returning her to (nearly) stock condition. Aside from a different skid plate, rear rack and radiator guard, my dear NC is now sporting a Wilbers rear shock, which we installed during the waiting-for-labor phase (yes, 9 month pregnant finally released from bed rest me crawled around on the ground and wrenched on my motorcycle). One final change in our lives was that we moved from San Diego county to Ventura county, courtesy of my husband's first post-navy, post-college job.
This morning...no, wait, afternoon. This afternoon I gathered up my gear (minus the face shield that never got put back on my helmet after I gave the whole thing a thorough cleaning and is apparently still at my brother's place in SD county), gave Chupa a once-over (where the heck are my tools, and how long has the gas cap been rolling around beneath the rear seat?!), handed the tiny human off to her daddy (repeatedly), and set out to do a little exploring of my new home. I sang her a little Snow Patrol - Will you dance with me, like we used to dance, and remember how to move together - and hopped on. She's taller than I remember with the new shock on. We took the most direct route out of town and got on the PCH headed towards Malibu. The traffic isn't bad on this stretch, and the easy curves sounded like a good start for getting to know my bike again. Getting close to Malibu proper, we turned onto Mulholland Highway for some more technical twists and turns. I had a few discussions with myself over whether that curve coming up was a 2nd or 3rd gear turn, and took an embarrassingly long time to rid my mirrors of a Prius, but it was a good run anyway. Turned back towards the PCH to head home for a total distance of just over 50 miles.
P1010895.jpg
It wasn't much, but it was enough to replace that zombie mom-to-a-newborn look with a big grin. I won't have many opportunities to ride for a while, but I think Solvang is next on the list.
Now if only we could settle the Yamaha PW50 vs Honda CRF50F argument...

Congratulations to the both of you!!! I was wondering if that was why you haven't been riding, but couldn't remember reading any post about your pregnancy. Congrats to your hubby on the post-navy/college job too!!

Interested in hearing about the Wilbers rear shock when you get time, too.

Last edited:
Congratulations.

Beautiful baby, beautiful bike, and beautiful countryside... good trifecta.

I've often wished I had a bumper sticker for when the occasional Prius gets behind me: "I get better gas mileage than your Prius."

Or perhaps a scrolling LED panel... so I can add "Plus I can do this." Just before turning them into a little spec in one of my mirrors...

Congratulations on the beautiful baby. Wow, a new baby, a new job, and a move! You've had some big changes. Best wishes to all.

Thanks guys!

Interested in hearing about the Wilbers rear shock when you get time, too.
I can definitely say it's an improvement. Not sure when I'll get a chance to give it a thorough test, found a perfect section of horrible road on the 405, but of course was in the car being shaken apart. Maybe one day when my parents are up I can drag someone out with me to find a washboard dirt road. Either way I'll let you know - don't remember what the stock one felt like at this point, except that it was shorter (probably from being shot).

do they make child seats for the NC700?
Alas, my car seat's manual specifically says not to install on a motorcycle. There is this gem from aerostitch...
Aerostich Magnetic Baby Onsie :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
ride_pin_p123_1a.jpg
...which is obviously a joke product, regardless, CA law requires passengers' feet to reach the pegs and of course she'll need a helmet. (Not to mention the lack of ferrous metal on the NC to attach this to...)

Last edited:
Back