• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

first complaint...unfortunately...

Hmcp88

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well first complaint here about my baby. I thought i have been smelling burning coolant but havent seen anything until today. Looks like its coming from the water pump housing. Still have warranty till the 25th but dont know if i have the downtime to let honda "fix" it. May end up doing the gasket myself. Didnt i see this from someone else too?
yme3y3e9.jpg

u2yjy3e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Well first complaint here about my baby. I thought i have been smelling burning coolant but havent seen anything until today. Looks like its coming from the water pump housing. Still have warranty till the 25th but dont know if i have the downtime to let honda "fix" it. May end up doing the gasket myself. Didnt i see this from someone else too?

Ack! :eek:

I am still curious about seeing the waterpump impeller picture in the other thread too.

What is the aprox. mileage on your bike, Hmcp?

No unusual noises from the engine, I sit in traffic a lot and I think I would either notice excessive fan running or coolant temp light coming on. The leak is very obviously coming from the water pump but Honda wouldn't do me any favors this morning. Sure wish we had a good service center in this area... I went ahead and paid for and ordered the water pump assembly. The service manual recommends replacing entire water pump assembly when leaks occur, and for $150.00 I can't see not doing the whole thing. Its coming out of Illinois so I should see it this week. Gunna hold off on my valve adjustment until next weekend so I don't waste coolant.

No unusual noises from the engine, I sit in traffic a lot and I think I would either notice excessive fan running or coolant temp light coming on. The leak is very obviously coming from the water pump but Honda wouldn't do me any favors this morning. Sure wish we had a good service center in this area... I went ahead and paid for and ordered the water pump assembly. The service manual recommends replacing entire water pump assembly when leaks occur, and for $150.00 I can't see not doing the whole thing. Its coming out of Illinois so I should see it this week. Gunna hold off on my valve adjustment until next weekend so I don't waste coolant.

So that dealer denied outright any warranty option, or is just wanting to get paid first, and then see if it qualifies for a reimbursement after? ( Did you buy your bike at this dealer? It *shouldn't* matter, but of course we all know it does usually influence things...)

I would go further up the Honda food chain if it's simply a case of your dealer service being nose in the air straight away with no effort being shown to help on your behalf, if I were you. Rattle some branches and see what falls out!

The bike's in warranty, the water pump is not a wear and tear part - the repair is a warranty job unless they can prove you caused the failure (I've not got a clue how they could do so objectively). Call the dealer and ask him how he can reject your claim - and that you're going to complain direct to Honda, the local press and everybody else you can think of. About the only way I can think that this would not be a warranty job is if you've used the wrong coolant - but you shouldn't even have changed coolant yet

I did purchase my bike from this dealer. They aren't telling me that they won't do it I just live 30 miles from work and don't have another vehicle and they are wanting me to drop it off and leave it there. I just don't have time for them too "diagnose" the bike, see if its approved, order the part and then fit it in to fix it.

If this were mine I would fix it myself, too. Having a dealer mess with your bike, and having to drop it off, wait, pick it up, take it back again to get it done right and fix what they busted, etc, etc, three trips later and it's still not right, fight with the manager, etc . . . .

It is not worth it just to get a free warranty water pump.

Greg

Last edited:
Well after committing to a water pump this morning i saw this after i got home from work... Makes me feel better about my water pump "diagnostic". Thats all i wanted those bozos to do this morning so we could get a pump coming. Oh well as usual ill do things on my own lol.

aby4a8y5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I guess I need to chime in. I'd take it to the dealer too. if it's in warranty, it should be replaced by the dealer even if it's only 2 days. I wouldn't do it myself at my cost until I called them or emailed them and had it in writing that they wouldn't honor the warranty on my schedule. Seems to me if you call or email them before the warranty is out with something like that, they should make it right. If the claim is inside the warranty limit, the work schedule should not exempt them from their responsibility. You shouldn't have to scramble to get to them before the warranty runs out... then again, this is my first new bike and I just had to take it to the dealer for diagnostic and repair today, that I hope (and feel rightly should) be repaired under warranty. I had let my NCX sit for a week, waiting out an early season string of storms that dropped 4+ inches of rain, to have it not start yesterday morning. No dash lights or anything. Seems to me like a bad battery, but if it's still in warranty, I'm not going to mess with it and give them an excuse to charge me for repairs. No way should it be flat after sitting for a week in a 6 month old bike. My 2005 Tundra has sat for a week or more lots of times in the last 6 months (riding :) with a 4+ year old (looks original) battery and no ill effects..
such a nice day for a ride here today too, it really sucked to load it in my truck to haul it to the dealership.
I was overdue for my 4k service (4750 or so miles) so I hope they'll figure out the starting issue and do the service all at once without much trouble, but I'm skeptical. Anybody else hear about battery/charging issues on NC700Xs? Mine's completely stock electrically except for the battery tender pigtail that came with it, wired in by the same dealer..
Good luck on your water pump Hmcp88.

I don't mean to steal the OPs thread, but "taking the bike in for warranty service" is not as straightforward as it seems.

I mostly buy used vehicles without warranties, but the few new motorcycle and boat purchases that I have made have taught me lessons about dealer warranty service. Nearly every warranty service incident I went through was a disaster.

Whether poor service or just inconvenience, there is a sometimes a strong case for just doing the work yourself.

Greg

Anybody else hear about battery/charging issues on NC700Xs?

Several of us have had early battery failures, but I have not heard of a charging system issue. I replaced my 12 AH Yuasa with a 14 AH battery as they were the same size. Others have bought the off-brand equivalents for about half the price. Probably NOT a charging issue.

Nearly every warranty service incident I went through was a disaster. Whether poor service or just inconvenience, there is a sometimes a strong case for just doing the work yourself.

My experience as well. My warranty replacement chain was installed with too litle slack and I had to adjust it on the side of the road going home from the dealer. I'm sure they would handle a more difficult issue better. OK, no I 'm sure they would futz it up too.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just the quality of the photo or my eyes are deceiving me, but it would appear those water pump bolts are not virgin. It looks like it's been off before. I went and looked at my gasket, and it's dark in color and looks like a metal gasket. It's definately not white.

Last edited:
Several of us have had early battery failures, but I have not heard of a charging system issue. I replaced my 12 AH Yuasa with a 14 AH battery as they were the same size. Others have bought the off-brand equivalents for about half the price. Probably NOT a charging issue.

My experience as well. My warranty replacement chain was installed with too litle slack and I had to adjust it on the side of the road going home from the dealer. I'm sure they would handle a more difficult issue better. OK, no I 'm sure they would futz it up too.

totally valid points on both quotes; I suspect the battery rather than the charging system too. I have had awful dealer service on a new car, but never for a motorcycle. (never bought one from a dealer before) I guess I'll wait to see what they say before I talk any trash. If need be, I can change the battery myself, but I'd rather see it covered on a 6month old bike. Thanks for the tips!

Maybe it's just the quality of the photo or my eyes are deceiving me, but it would appear those water pump bolts are not virgin. It looks like it's been off before. I went and looked at my gasket, and it's dark in color and looks like a metal gasket. It's definately not white.

You may be right but I am the original owner and it wasn't me.. Maybe the dealer before purchase but no leaks till now.

Back