• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First Tank MPG poor?

Quite so, but also thus:

Definition: A meniscus is phase boundary that has been curved because of surface tension.

ie: viewing a "level" of liquid in a glass jar/beaker/cup, with a marked line on it. When you look at the level closely, you can see the liquid curving "up" to slightly higher than the actual line you filled to. :D

Now that you mention it, I think I remember that from home ec... err I mean shop class...

Now that you mention it, I think I remember that from home ec... err I mean shop class...

*clears throat and gives menacing look* Ya, Shop Class, that's it, me too. It was just after my arm was ripped off in the bandsaw and I stuck it back on, before going out for a smoke break. (mine was out of a Helicopter Mechanics course booklet I got from a buddy)

To be fair, I didn't know what was going on in the gooey knee anatomy definition, it was just a vague: "oh the meniscus thingy is in the knee, right?..."

I just googled it, and fascinating! It's Greek for "crescent", (which makes sense for the phase boundary meaning) and in the knee, describes the two semicircular gristly cartilage bits. Also, not just in the knee, but a few other spots in the 'ol bod too.)

Cool :cool:

My first tank got me 77.6 MPG (US). My running average after 15 fills is 77.4 MPG (US). I saw no change due to any break in; it was good from the start.

Consistent fill levels is important when tracking mileage. Going by the fuel gauge alone will lead to inaccuracy. With only five display bars, it just doesn't have the resolution needed.

You won't get good mileage just because the media said you would. It depends on how you ride, too.

Greg

My first tank gave me 59.43 mpg US. When filling, I let it stop when it clicks off.

I'm averaging 70.9 and I fill to just above the bottom of the inside metal hole every time. Had used premium, but the common wisdom on the forum is that regular should be fine. So my current tank is regular and I have had no issues. Good power, no knocking and starts right up.

Thanks for all your responses. I filled up tonight (11.3 litres and had done 138 miles) so I will see how this tank goes.

One quick question if I may, how far do you guys normally fill the tank to?
I notice on this bike the filler hose fits in like a car and you can fill to the first click. But I noticed tonight you can fill another 1.5 litres up to the bottom of the neck (i.e. the bottom plate of where the bottom of the cap fits). - Obviously that makes a difference at to the consumption as 1.5 litres between first click and the bottom of the filler is half the reserve?

Thanks again

Darren

I fill mine the same way every time. All the way to the top.

When I bought my bike it had 165 miles on it and had just over half a tank indicated on the gauge. So I only assume it MIGHT have still been on its first tank of fuel. So last Friday when I filled it up (to the metal plate int he filler nozzle) I did the math. I put in 2.9 gallons and was at 248 miles = 85.51mpg. Now, keep in mind I am not sure (and honestly doubt) if it was still on its first tank of fuel. I will see where I am when I fill up next time. But after doing some riding around town on Saturday and commuting to work yesterday and today, the gauge still shows full. So it might be a while.

As to warming up I pull the bike out of the garage and start it. I then put on my gloves and paddle the bike backwards out of my drive. By the time I have done this it is ready to ride away slowly. I have around a 2 mile drive out of town to the motorway by which time the bike has warmed up enough to ride at motorway speeds

When I first bought my bike brand new... I rode it like I stole it... I did that for at least the first 600 miles or so... I remember my MPG at that time was around 65. Once I past the 600 miles, I ride normally... Spirit... quick shifts... I start to get at least over 70MPG...

I get around 75mpg nowadays... sometime less when I ride a little aggressively in the canyon... then I get around 70mpg

every time I buy a new bike I take it and ride it as I normally would with a full tank. when it gets close to empty I set off into Arkansas on a long straight two lane road. I have a friend follow me with extra fuel. when the bike runs out fuel that becomes my base mileage. not a great thing to do to the fuel pump but one time won't hurt. I have not done this yet with my nc because in don't ride much in the cold. old man taught me this when I was 13 years old on a Honda sport 50. he's gone now but it still works.

Back