Flat front tire questions

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I’d take everything on a case by case basis. Sprockets and chain, you can inspect them and determine their condition. Probably no need to replace unless they are clearly worn. There are no hidden mysteries there. Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years, so change that. For the battery, test the resting voltage after a full charge and you can determine the storage capacity. For tires, if they are damaged, worn, or cracked, replace them, but Honda says tires should be replaced at least by the time the manufacture date code is 10 years past.

mtnbiker1185

Reaction score
Visit site
Some suggestions I have, if you have a center stand I would forego the jack. Aside from pulling the front forks, you can take both tires off with it on the center stand. Just put some wood blocks under the forks when the front tire is off. For anything else there are ways to do it with just the center stand. Second, as a new and inexperienced rider I would caution you to NOT learn to plug a tire on your front tire. Have it professionally done. You screw up a plug/patch on a rear and it blows out, your chances of coming out the other side unscathed are pretty good. The front blows out and those chances decrease to damn near zero real fast. Not saying it can't be done, lots of people do. But I would recommend waiting until you gain more experience both in tire repair and riding before you do it.

TacomaJD

Reaction score
Visit site
Some suggestions I have, if you have a center stand I would forego the jack. Aside from pulling the front forks, you can take both tires off with it on the center stand. Just put some wood blocks under the forks when the front tire is off. For anything else there are ways to do it with just the center stand. Second, as a new and inexperienced rider I would caution you to NOT learn to plug a tire on your front tire. Have it professionally done. You screw up a plug/patch on a rear and it blows out, your chances of coming out the other side unscathed are pretty good. The front blows out and those chances decrease to damn near zero real fast. Not saying it can't be done, lots of people do. But I would recommend waiting until you gain more experience both in tire repair and riding before you do it.
Center stand and wood blocks or small floor jack and you can take it all apart.

20200828_130110.jpg

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And if the professional screws up a plug/patch. are your chances any better?

Fortunately, nearly all puncture flats seem to be on the rear tire. The front tire kicks up the foreign object on the road, the rear tire comes along next and gets penetrated by it. In all my decades of riding, I don't recall ever having a puncture on the front tire.

mtnbiker1185

Reaction score
Visit site
And if the professional screws up a plug/patch. are your chances any better?

Fortunately, nearly all puncture flats seem to be on the rear tire. The front tire kicks up the foreign object on the road, the rear tire comes along next and gets penetrated by it. In all my decades of riding, I don't recall ever having a puncture on the front tire.
No, but the chances of a professional screwing it up vs someone who has never patched a tire before is significantly lower.

Havok

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plugging a tire is not surgery. The reamer makes it virtually impossible to cut a cord which is how a catastrophic failure would occur. Just make sure you cut the excess down as close to even with the tread as possible.