• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

FNG from East TN

Welcome! I hope we can help you learn all about the NC series motorcycles.

Welcome ! I am from Tenn as well. I previoualy owned an FJR. What part of Tenn are you located ? Be glad to let you take my NC for a ride if we are anywhere close.

Hi TnHoosier,
Welcome to the forum! I own a large bike as well (ST1300), and got my ‘13 NC700X for shorter trips, better mileage, and as you say, lighter weight. I am keeping the large bike for longer trips, but the NC gets ridden a lot! I’m right down the road in Ga.

Hi TnHoosier,
Welcome to the forum! I own a large bike as well (ST1300), and got my ‘13 NC700X for shorter trips, better mileage, and as you say, lighter weight. I am keeping the large bike for longer trips, but the NC gets ridden a lot! I’m right down the road in Ga.
Thanks. I bought the FJR when I lived in Texas and the nearest curve was 4+ hours away. Now, I am retired and I live near some of the best roads in the country. I am not in a hurry to change, just thinking ahead.

I also went from FJR to NC 750x It was time to own a lighter bike. I will not be doing the long trips on the NC but I think it is quit capable of any trip I want to make.

Welcome to the forum. Needed a lighter ride so I went from ST1300 to NC750X; never looked back.

Thanks. I bought the FJR when I lived in Texas and the nearest curve was 4+ hours away. Now, I am retired and I live near some of the best roads in the country. I am not in a hurry to change, just thinking ahead.
I found that the NC was a LOT lighter, and easier to fling around, and ground clearance was a bit better. Service is a bit easier, but removing panels is a tad tougher.
You WILL find it tough to get used to t he "lumpy" engine of the NC. With the 270* firing order, it kinda lumps along, rather than purring like our 4 cylinder bikes do. It took me a while to get used to it, despite the fact that I rode Airheads for years. It's not really lacking in acceleration, although you'll notice the difference in a 4 cylinder vs 2 cylinder bike. Of course, adding a chain adds some maintenance duties, but modern chains are really a magnitude better than the ones back in my day. I do lube and clean mine a lot, but at 9800 miles, it's never needed an adjustment. I have a Nemo oiler on it too.

Ok, the seat sucks. Despite doing the Showkey Mod, mine STILL sucks. It is sloped towards the front, and I find myself pushing my butt back all the time. I DO need to address that. Not a huge thing. If you have the $$, aftermarket seats are available.

Overall, I could not be more pleased with the NC. It's definitely fast enough, the mileage is amazing for a 700cc bike, and it's just plain fun to ride. The twisties are a treat on it. It carves corners like a champ. It actually works ok two up as well...I take my wife to work on it pretty often.

Try one!

I found that the NC was a LOT lighter, and easier to fling around, and ground clearance was a bit better. Service is a bit easier, but removing panels is a tad tougher.
You WILL find it tough to get used to t he "lumpy" engine of the NC. With the 270* firing order, it kinda lumps along, rather than purring like our 4 cylinder bikes do. It took me a while to get used to it, despite the fact that I rode Airheads for years. It's not really lacking in acceleration, although you'll notice the difference in a 4 cylinder vs 2 cylinder bike. Of course, adding a chain adds some maintenance duties, but modern chains are really a magnitude better than the ones back in my day. I do lube and clean mine a lot, but at 9800 miles, it's never needed an adjustment. I have a Nemo oiler on it too.

Ok, the seat sucks. Despite doing the Showkey Mod, mine STILL sucks. It is sloped towards the front, and I find myself pushing my butt back all the time. I DO need to address that. Not a huge thing. If you have the $$, aftermarket seats are available.

Overall, I could not be more pleased with the NC. It's definitely fast enough, the mileage is amazing for a 700cc bike, and it's just plain fun to ride. The twisties are a treat on it. It carves corners like a champ. It actually works ok two up as well...I take my wife to work on it pretty often.

Try one!
Thanks for the input. I have owned several twins over the years (parallel, V, opposed) so I am not worried about the power delivery difference. I find your comment about removing the panels interesting. It is one of the biggest complaints among Gen III FJR owners. It is something Yamaha made worse as it revised the FJR. I would be shocked if the NC was anywhere close to that difficulty. I don't understand why they cannot make it simple like BMW, screws accessible, one tool required, and no snap fittings that break.

Of the 25+ motorcycles I have owned, only 2 had stock seats that were decent. I have come to expect stock seats to be ornamental not comfortable.

Welcome from south central Indiana (the real Hoosier land....hehehe)...been thru Dayton Tn many times on my way to the Tail of the Dragon and the other, better roads in the area.

I'm curious; on which motorcycles were those 2 descent seats?
They would be:
1996 H-D Heritage Softtail
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050

The Triumph was by far the best stock seat. It was wide, flat, and did not slide you into the tank. The seat was the right balance between firm and soft so I did not develop hot spots. I miss the Tiger, I just wish it did not have the detonation problem the dealer good not resolve.

Back