• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Forgot disc lock on, ABS light blinking

kaz

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually detach and reattach my bike key to the others so I remember about the disc lock.

This time I didn't, started off and the lock bumped into the caliper from the lower side.

Now the ABS light is blinking when I ride. Is this something that I could try to fix myself? Could I have ruined some sensor with this hit?

Look at the ABS ring and it’s sensor (mounted on the caliper mount bracket. See if there is damage, then decide if it’s within your abilities to repair it.

76426F7C-C047-4E03-926F-C4820C1525B3.png

Same thing happened to me tonight. Forgot the disk lock (second time) and bumped it on the top, slightly damaging the fender. Abs light is now blinking but so far the brakes seem to work (even i felt the lever vibrating a bit)
How did you solve this?

Same thing happened to me tonight. Forgot the disk lock (second time) and bumped it on the top, slightly damaging the fender. Abs light is now blinking but so far the brakes seem to work (even i felt the lever vibrating a bit)
How did you solve this?
Have you investigated the ideas already in this thread?

Have you investigated the ideas already in this thread?

Yes but none so far. Neither the sensor nor the ring looks damaged. I was rocking the bike with my feet, so no real power involved, and also going backwards, so the lock hit the top where the fork and fender is, not below on the caliper

The abs ring is sensitive, a scratch could damage it. ...
A scratch on the abs ring (pulser ring) is ... just a scratch. It will not change anything in the proper operation of the ABS.
The movement of the pulser ring close to the wheel speed sensor generates a pulsating current in the sensor which in turn is analyzed by the PCM. It is therefore important that the sensor is not damaged, the ring is not deformed and that the air gap between the ring and the sensor is within specification - 0.54-1.14 mm (0.021 - 0.045 in).

I usually detach and reattach my bike key to the others so I remember about the disc lock.

This time I didn't, started off and the lock bumped into the caliper from the lower side.

Now the ABS light is blinking when I ride. Is this something that I could try to fix myself? Could I have ruined some sensor with this hit?
Glad your up and running again.

Tie a lanyard string to your lock and drape it over the bars so you will always see it and remove the lock before riding off.
I have a long string draped over the bars to my side stand pad. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Glad your back up and running again.

Tie a lanyard string to your lock and drape it over the bars so you will always see it and remove the lock before riding off.
I have a long string draped over the bars to my side stand pad. Problem solved.
Since my cover-tarp has two holes in it for a lock passthrough, I lock the cover-tarp to the brake disk with the disk lock. This turns the entire cover-tarp into a reminder lanyard. It also keeps people from acting on their curiosity.

Back