• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fork oil change

Honda spec is Honda SS-47 which is nominally a 10w fork oil.

There is no recommended service interval for this job. I try to do it every 15 to 20,000 miles.
Hey dduelin; I see earlier in the thread that you've replaced with both the stock (recommended) SS-47, and also tried the SS-7. Any preference between the two? I feel my front is pretty harsh; currently at 10k mi, but I'm wondering if a good first step would be to replace with the stock oil and see how it feels before switching to the lighter weight. Note my forks are totally stock, no drop-in cartridge or other mods like yours.

Thanks in advance! -Sam

Hey dduelin; I see earlier in the thread that you've replaced with both the stock (recommended) SS-47, and also tried the SS-7. Any preference between the two? I feel my front is pretty harsh; currently at 10k mi, but I'm wondering if a good first step would be to replace with the stock oil and see how it feels before switching to the lighter weight. Note my forks are totally stock, no drop-in cartridge or other mods like yours.

Thanks in advance! -Sam
Sam, I can't advise the comparison of SS-7 to SS-47 with stock forks. I used SS-7 in conjunction with Cogent Dynamic cartridge emulators.

Now I'm considering the DDC cartridges... if I'm going to have the forks off and everything apart anyways. After reading a bunch of discussion here on damping, I think my exact problem is as dduelin described (slow damping is dialed in well, but fast damping for hard bumps, potholes, cracks in roads, etc. is very harsh).

Now I'm considering the DDC cartridges... if I'm going to have the forks off and everything apart anyways. After reading a bunch of discussion here on damping, I think my exact problem is as dduelin described (slow damping is dialed in well, but fast damping for hard bumps, potholes, cracks in roads, etc. is very harsh).
The stock forks are as you described - just OK for slow speed compression and rebound but way too over-damped for high speed compression. When I was riding aggressively on the street and trail braking deep into corners it was very difficult to ease off the front brake slowly enough so as to keep the compressed forks from popping up and upsetting the suspension. From past experience if I went to a lighter fork oil to compensate for the overly harsh high speed compression then rebound damping would suffer and the forks would extend even faster upon releasing front brake in corner entries. The DDC cartridge emulators solved that problem and settled the forks nicely for not a lot of money. Rick at Cogent Dynamics is personable and could be reached on the phone at the time (2014?) to discuss what I was trying to accomplish. I like the DDC kit and results so much I immediately purchased them when I bought my 2015 NC700X.

Rick at Cogent Dynamics is personable and could be reached on the phone at the time (2014?) to discuss what I was trying to accomplish. I like the DDC kit and results so much I immediately purchased them when I bought my 2015 NC700X.

Thanks, Dave. The positive feedback is really helpful to hear. I did email Cogent Dynamics about pricing and availability (their web site is a bit out of date), and Todd got back to me within an hour with the info and a phone number to call for a follow-up. (I didn't get a chance to call yet).

Fork emulators are well above the std fork pistons used on many stock forks. The stock dampening rods are set to one value that never varies the rate of compression. The emulators have a valve that can be tuned to deliver the high speed rate that is a problem on larger bumps. When you hit a small bump low speed is controlled by the fixed damper holes but when you hit a large bump the valve gets pushed off its seat to bypass those fixed holes. That is why it may take several adjustments to get that high speed just right. That adjustment is the preload of the piston that controls the valve opening rate. Some people forget about the fork spring that can be adjusted (preload)or changed to get the suspension "sack" height set properly. I have varied oil weights to try to cure a improperly tuned suspension. I do not recommend using a heavy or lighter fluid just stick with stock (10W).

Fork emulators are well above the std fork pistons used on many stock forks. The stock dampening rods are set to one value that never varies the rate of compression. The emulators have a valve that can be tuned to deliver the high speed rate that is a problem on larger bumps. When you hit a small bump low speed is controlled by the fixed damper holes but when you hit a large bump the valve gets pushed off its seat to bypass those fixed holes. That is why it may take several adjustments to get that high speed just right. That adjustment is the preload of the piston that controls the valve opening rate. Some people forget about the fork spring that can be adjusted (preload)or changed to get the suspension "sack" height set properly. I have varied oil weights to try to cure a improperly tuned suspension. I do not recommend using a heavy or lighter fluid just stick with stock (10W).
Cogent owners could confirm, but it’s my understanding that the Cogent emulators require oil lighter than 10 weight viscosity fork oil because (unlike Racetech) they do not drill out the stock damper tube holes as part of the installation. If standard 10 weight oil was used, the stock damper tube holes would always be the primary restrictor and nothing would be gained from the emulator valve opening for rapid compression

Cogent owners could confirm, but it’s my understanding that the Cogent emulators require oil lighter than 10 weight viscosity fork oil because (unlike Racetech) they do not drill out the stock damper tube holes as part of the installation. If standard 10 weight oil was used, the stock damper tube holes would always be the primary restrictor and nothing would be gained from the emulator valve opening for rapid compression
You are correct. The Cogent DDC cartridge emulators are a simple design and less complicated and less expensive than the Racetech Gold Valves. Cogent recommends Golden Spectro 85/150 5W fork fluid which flows quicker than the OEM Honda SS-47 which is nominally 10w. As we have discussed before, the common term "weight" is not very accurate when comparing light oils. One brand of 10w may actually flow quicker than another brand's 5w or 7.5w at certain temperatures. Viscosity or flow rate of light oils is better measured in centiStokes and it's also important to measure centiStoke stability of the oil over a range of temperatures with a number called the Viscosity Index or VI. In an earlier thread found here I linked a chart of common fork oils to the installation and review of the DDCs in my 2012 NC700X. We also discussed sag, preload adjustment, and oil level effect on the spring rate. I couldn't find the thread where I installed Honda CB1100 fork caps with adjustable preload.

Last edited:
Yep. So. When installing emulators, the first thing you do is remove the slides where the holes are and drill out the holes.
I’m pretty sure the first thing you do is read and follow the directions for the emulator type you are installing, before you start drilling holes out. I seem to recall that the Cogent cartridge emulators do not require enlarging the damper tube holes.

I've been keeping my eyes out for a used set of those CB1100 fork caps (51450-MGC-003). Someone on the forum posted a pair in Oct 2021, but I missed that opportunity.

Update for any interested parties: I ended up getting the Race Tech Gold emulators. I really liked the Cogent DDC product for it's simplicity, but after some research I liked the flexibility of the Race Tech product a bit more (e.g. the ability to tweak things by drilling out more holes or changing the spring stiffness of the cartridges). I've got several friends with drill press and metalworking experience so in the end drilling out the stock damper tubes does not seem like that big of a barrier. I found the Race Tech Gold emulators for $126 with free shipping and they arrived next-day after my order. so the price was right. I will try them with the stock springs first, then consider a spring upgrade as necessary. Like the idea of changing one thing at a time and not being committed "all-in" at the start.

Still waiting for the replacement dust covers (dust covers are cracked, should be replaced while I have it apart) to arrive before I can get these installed.

Update for any interested parties: I ended up getting the Race Tech Gold emulators. I really liked the Cogent DDC product for it's simplicity, but after some research I liked the flexibility of the Race Tech product a bit more (e.g. the ability to tweak things by drilling out more holes or changing the spring stiffness of the cartridges). I've got several friends with drill press and metalworking experience so in the end drilling out the stock damper tubes does not seem like that big of a barrier. I found the Race Tech Gold emulators for $126 with free shipping and they arrived next-day after my order. so the price was right. I will try them with the stock springs first, then consider a spring upgrade as necessary. Like the idea of changing one thing at a time and not being committed "all-in" at the start.

Still waiting for the replacement dust covers (dust covers are cracked, should be replaced while I have it apart) to arrive before I can get these installed.
I also have the race Tech emulators. One thing interesting I found out through an RT rep at a bike show is that they have a silver emulator spring that is lighter than the blue and yellow ones shipped with the kit. They sent them to me for free just for asking.

I tried Race Tech's lightest fork springs but they were too stiff for me, so I run stock Honda fork springs.

Thanks for the info! Quick question (apologies in advance for not searching to look for the answer): did you drill out a 4th bleed hole in the cartridge?

I just ran the DVS Valving calculator online (220 lbs w/ full gear - just weighted myself in!), and it suggested blue spring, 2.5 turns, 4 bleed holes, 15 mm preload, and 15 wt (OSFO 15) oil.

I am thinking I may try the ss-8 Honda oil (10 wt equivalent) first and see how that runs.
I tried Race Tech's lightest fork springs but they were too stiff for me, so I run stock Honda fork springs.
I saw this comment from you; one of the reasons I wasn't sold on buying a full kit of valves + springs right away. One of my good friends here also has an identical NC700X (2014 I believe?) and did the Race Tech Kit. He left the stock springs in, and did not cut the spacer, and was very happy with the result. I tried his bike and it felt pretty fine to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Quick question (apologies in advance for not searching to look for the answer): did you drill out a 4th bleed hole in the cartridge?

I just ran the DVS Valving calculator online (220 lbs w/ full gear - just weighted myself in!), and it suggested blue spring, 2.5 turns, 4 bleed holes, 15 mm preload, and 15 wt (OSFO 15) oil.

I am thinking I may try the ss-8 Honda oil (10 wt equivalent) first and see how that runs.

I saw this comment from you; one of the reasons I wasn't sold on buying a full kit of valves + springs right away. One of my good friends here also has an identical NC700X (2014 I believe?) and did the Race Tech Kit. He left the stock springs in, and did not cut the spacer (i.e. ~11-12 mm of preload), and was very happy with the result. I tried his bike and it felt pretty fine to me.
I probably weigh 180# with gear (I'd like to think so). I ran two cartridge holes drilled, then three, now all four holes. I use Honda's oil (SS-8 or SS-47). I run the lighter silver valve springs at about 2 turns. I cut the stock fork spring spacer by the thickness of the emulator, so I am running stock "preload" (I hate that term).

The only thing I might do someday is drill two more holes in the stock damper pipe. I think the bottom holes are possibly too restricted by the lower fork section, that the two lowest holes might not be doing any good.

I should note that I like my forks on the soft side, preferring ride comfort on rough pavement more than tight sporty handling.

That's absolutely perfect feedback, thanks so much! This forums has been amazing for figuring out these mods.

My kit mfg date is 2/2022, and it has three cartridge holes pre-drilled. I'm going to drill out the 4th right away. I may reach out to Race Tech and ask for a set of sliver springs right away to have options. I would also prefer a ride that is a little on the soft side to make my daily commute more comfortable (since that is my primary use of the bike) even if that means sacrificing a bit of sporty handling performance.

I cut the stock fork spring spacer by the thickness of the emulator, so I am running stock "preload" (I hate that term).
I hate that term, too! You may have noticed, I edited my post because I really wasn't clear if the stock length is "no preload" or just a set preload. Anyways. Preload. It's a thing.

I am going out this afternoon and doing some sag measurements to see where I am at, and may base my decision. I'm fairly heavy, and tend to have a top box and lots of stuff in the frunk and box with me all of the time, so I am guessing my sag is already more than ideal, meaning I don't want to cut any more spacer off (and may even want to invest in the CB1100 preload adjusters if I can find a set).

The only thing I might do someday is drill two more holes in the stock damper pipe. I think the bottom holes are possibly too restricted by the lower fork section, that the two lowest holes might not be doing any good.
Good to know. I think I'm going to go with 1/4" holes right away. I do note that there is a lot of confusion about where the additional holes go, but from the instructions it seems clear to me that they should all be ABOVE the two stock holes. Any holes drilled below those do not really do anything.

Back