• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Found 2 bikes for sale and need help negotiating price.

Sparkynutz

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I tested out a 2017 NC750x Manual and a red 2014 a NC700x DCT at a dealer and fell in love with the auto but hate red.
I got a quote on a new 2021 NC750x DCT at that dealer. $10,908 out the door but it's not due for delivery till beginning of June at the earliest. I'd love the new year changes but it only comes in red in the US so I would paint the red plastic another color adding to the cost a little. My uncle paints cars for a living so it wouldn't cost much and be done right.
Next, I found a 2020 NC750x in black with 3.4k miles on it listed for $8799 at a dealer close by. It says plus assembly and setup fees at the top of listing but it's a used bike so I would hope that isn't added, just ttl fees. It does have handguards, crash bars I'd like to add anyways along with a really stupid looking mud guard thing lower mounted to the back tire. There may be other addons I'm not noticing from the pic and description online says nothing about the bike.
Lastly a dealer a 2.5 hour drive from me has a brand new 2020 no miles on sale listed for $7499. I'm sure theres setup fees etc on top but the bike is in Iowa, not WI so I'd be paying my states TTL fees.
I plan on checking out the used 2020 with add on after work tuesday their next day open since its close but a new bike with warranty would be nice too.
What would you do?
What would you offer on the used bike to make it worthwhile over the other two?
the add ons and loss of warranty aren't worth $1300 more than the new bike in Iowa but where do I start or what do I offer? Do I show them the listing in Iowa?

Sorry for the long read.
Thanks.

I would skip the dealers and search for an older NC from a private seller.

Dealers are not likely to budge much on pricing during the current economic situation. If you’re planning to buy a late model unit from a dealer, prepare to pay top dollar. With supply problems and low inventory, it’s a sellers market right now.

I did. Only 5 used listed in the entire country on cycle trader. Facebook and Craigslist turning up more CTX than NC's with nothing within 300 miles worth driving for. 95% listed are manual.

I’d go for the new 2020. As far as negotiations you’ve actually got a leg up if you’re not trading anything in but honestly bikes are selling like hot cakes right now. You’re going to have a tough time. I’d go see the dealer and get to the bottom line. Agree to pay that price but negotiate add ons to the bike for free. As for one or two of those farkles installed. That way you save money in the long run and they get what they want right now. A nice bonus is that the accessories cost less for the dealer than they’re charging you so I think you’ll be more likely to move them.

Also remember that at 7500 you’re already getting around 800$ off. (10%).

If I were looking for an NC 10k for the 2021 model just isn't worth it, unless maybe you were going to pay cash and money wasn't an issue haha. Before covid, the best leverage you had over a motorcycle dealership is the loan. They want you on the hook for a long loan with interest. An 8k bike is close to 10k when paid off. So if you are planning on getting the bike with a loan through the dealership you can do as suggested above try to bundle in extras, maybe the cost of the first maintenance check, etc. Sometimes you can use another bike against a dealership but in your location and based on the bikes you've listed that doesn't seem likely. They know what they have and probably aren't hurting to sell them.

The way you win is by paying off the bike loan as quickly as possible so you don't pay much interest. That way you get the bike for the price you paid.

I paid cash for everything I own except my house by working hard, planning ahead and living well within my means. That doesn't mean I don't want to try and get the best deal possible.
I added up the TTL, fees and sales tax on the 2020 in Iowa which came to around $9300 out the door.
I also estimated my out the door total for TTL, Fees cost of the local used 2020 then subtracted the price of all the add ons cost x85% of new coming up with $600 for accessories or a grand total of $9k if the bike had been stock and I spent the $600 on discounted accessories at time of sale.
So basicly if I bought the local one at current price no haggling Id be paying a whopping $300 less than the one in Iowa and not get a warranty or a brand new bike.
At what cost savings is buying the used bike worthwhile? The cost of an add on full coverage extended warranty is likely around $800-$1k plus wear and tear already on the bike. Is asking for another 1500 off the current price of the bike out of the question and if they accept is it still even worth it?
I'm going to try and take it for a test ride Tuesday after work and see what they say, but I bet I'll end up driving to get the one out of state.

I can't really offer any salient advice except for noting that there have been very few warranty claims reported on this site. I wouldn't worry about having one or not. I would specifically advise against purchasing an extended warranty. The closest thing to a 'common' issue with DCTs appears at mileages well above the common yearly mileage of the typical rider.

I paid cash for everything I own except my house by working hard, planning ahead and living well within my means. That doesn't mean I don't want to try and get the best deal possible.
I added up the TTL, fees and sales tax on the 2020 in Iowa which came to around $9300 out the door.
I also estimated my out the door total for TTL, Fees cost of the local used 2020 then subtracted the price of all the add ons cost x85% of new coming up with $600 for accessories or a grand total of $9k if the bike had been stock and I spent the $600 on discounted accessories at time of sale.
So basicly if I bought the local one at current price no haggling Id be paying a whopping $300 less than the one in Iowa and not get a warranty or a brand new bike.
At what cost savings is buying the used bike worthwhile? The cost of an add on full coverage extended warranty is likely around $800-$1k plus wear and tear already on the bike. Is asking for another 1500 off the current price of the bike out of the question and if they accept is it still even worth it?
I'm going to try and take it for a test ride Tuesday after work and see what they say, but I bet I'll end up driving to get the one out of state.
Warranties are not terribly useful on new Honda’s as they only get 1 year warranty. The chances of that something happening in that time is pretty slim. Why don’t you go to the local shop and make them an offer. I’d tell them you’re willing to purchase today but in exchange you want a certain amount off, maybe 500$. If they say no way then go get the new one and try the same thing. Worst case you spend gas and pay full price. When I bought mine I negotiated another 250$ off. The NC isn’t a hugely popular bike so they may want to move it.

I paid extra for a 5 year warranty, and never used it. Money not spent well for me.
Also warranties are transferable if you think you need it.

I live in Ohio and bought my first out-of-state motorcycle in Wisconsin last year.

The dealer charged me Wisconsin state taxes. The dealer didn't do a lot of intrastate sales and said that he believed that Wisconsin had an reciprocal agreement with other states as far as taxes go. Ohio's taxes are higher and he thought that Ohio would recognize their Wisconsin taxes and only charge me the difference between Ohio and Wisconsin taxes.

When I got the bike to Ohio, I discovered that since the motorcycle was purchased outside of Ohio it had to be inspected. Once that inspection was done I went to the BMV and applied for the Ohio title. I was told that Ohio has a reciprocal agreement with several states but Wisconsin wasn't one of them and I had to pay the full Ohio taxes on the bike.

Fortunately, when I e-mailed the dealer in Wisconsin and explained the situation, he refunded me the amount that I had paid in Wisconsin taxes.

These were just some complications that I didn't plan on from buying an out-of-state motorcycle.

The DCT bikes are rare birds, so I'd guess they are now tough to find? The Honda dealer where I live wasn't even going to order one because it thought it wouldn't sell.

Allow me another take. Motorcycles are fun, and they are for most people a luxury. Don't give yourself "analysis paralysis". Get the bike you really want. Try to get the best deal you can, but get what will keep you happy for the years you will own it. In 2 or three years you won't remember that you saved 200 bucks, but you will notice every time you look at it if you hate the color or something about the bike that isn't perfect for you. For some people the deal is the fun, so if that is you then enjoy that too, but if the end result is to have a bike you love, then get the one you love at the price you can get it for.

I did. Only 5 used listed in the entire country on cycle trader. Facebook and Craigslist turning up more CTX than NC's with nothing within 300 miles worth driving for. 95% listed are manual.
Try Facebook Marketplace and “All of Craigslist“ and put a “want to buy” add on ADVrider flea mkt. If you are willing to do a fly and ride, they are out there. Be patient.

Cycle trader is really just dealers anymore.

What a S-Show. Talked to dealer in Iowa. That bike has been sold for 3+ months and somehow it keeps getting relisted anyways. But they'd be happy to sell me a new 2021 in red for $1500 more.
Local dealer with the used one isn't returning calls or messages even tho I said I'm headed to the area and ready to make a deal on the bike tonight.
Looks like I don't have much choice but keep looking. I was actually liking the idea of a brand new 2020 in black but now The best I'll be able to find is a used one.... if I'm lucky.

Back