• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Found 2 bikes - which is the better buy?

cornbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these and want to decide pretty soon:

Bike 1) 2018 NC750x DCT, 15k miles, dropped at a standstill, but has sliders, so it has some rash on one and the exhaust. Well maintained, but more scuffs/dings than bike 2. Saddlebags and top case. Not my preferred color, priced at 7k USD. Located in another state, so I'd have to get it trailered - extra $$$.

Bike 2) 2016 NC700x DCT, over 50k miles (!), seems well maintained and had a lot of work recently done, has more upgrades than bike 1, and saddlebags/top case too. Looks much cleaner cosmetically, and it's a better color. Priced a little under 6k, only 90 min. away from me. Could get a local guy to trailer it for cheap, or drive it back myself.

I know bike 1 has more CC's and (IIRC) a bit better DCT. Bike 2 is priced right and I don't mind less motor, not so much the older DCT though. Also the higher milage is a turn off though it's probably not a big deal.

Thoughts?

For me, I'd go with bike 1 if no other reason but the miles. If the 2018 is the one for sale in Colorado, it looks like the exhaust guard is scratched which may be able to be repaired with a stainless steel correction pad and lubricant. You might be able to buff or touch up the other cosmetic issues. I've owned both model years and I cannot put my finger on the exact reason why (very subtle differences) but I prefer the 18 0ver the 16; though unlike you I do prefer the color of the 18. It could be my perspective on the bike changed over time. Whatever you choose, best of luck with either!

Where are you located? I think there are many much better deals out there than both of those.

If you were going for one of these, get #1. 50kmi for $6k sounds crazy since a brand new bike today is $8300. I wouldn't be too worried about a 50k Honda, but certainly not for that price, would have to be 3500-4k.

I’d go with bike #2. I’d definitely want a preferred color and the better cosmetics, and the luggage (if desired). Mechanical things are easy to fix, whereas repainting or fixing cosmetic issues can get expensive. The higher mileage and the luggage hints that the ‘16 did long(er) distance rides. The displacement difference and higher miles would not concern me as long as the bike is in good shape. I own a 700 and I've ridden a 750, and the difference to me was inconsequential. BTW, I’m not aware the DCT is any different between ‘16 and ‘18. That being said, I think #2 is way overpriced (as CamaroEric mentioned), so I would keep looking.

I would also go for bike 2. Clearly better looked after. These bikes have triple that mileage trouble free. I rode the 750 when I still had the 700 and found no significant difference between them. If anything I recall feeling at the time that the 700 had a marginally more responsive motor.

Bike 2 is overpriced at 50k miles! I bought my 2016 with a little over 4k miles from the original owner a few years ago, and it had all the OEM Honda luggage accessories on it, for $6,300.

I have a 2013 NC700X DCT that I will be selling soon for around $4,000 obo. Only 13k miles, silver and black, and it's stock other than Yoshimura carbon fiber exhaust.

That 2nd bike is even closer to me. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like a good deal, but the older body style and black wheels (dislike them) are my only beef.
10-4.
Scour Facebook marketplace and all that. There seem to be few bikes for sale right now anyway. If you can wait til spring, there will be many many more I'm sure. But of course keep looking in the meantime.

Regarding pricing, it's a crapshoot right now, though price may not be a concern of yours. The prices are inflated but bikes are still selling, sometimes with market adjustments (not in the used category as far as I know). So I don't know if it is so much that they are overpriced but rather prices are what the market will bear. The last quarter of 22 saw a decline in sales but not prices, but overall powersports sales are pretty strong. If inventory starts outpacing demand the prices will drop (I know that is stating the obvious). If the economy tanks, there most likely will be some bargains to be had.

There are some competitive prices on NCs on www.Rumbleon.com today.

Last edited:
@mzflorida I think that's valid.....and of course I live in California where you generally pay more for every-goddamn-thing due to the COL out here.

Going to look at bike 2 in a little bit.
dun dun dun!

@mzflorida I think that's valid.....and of course I live in California where you generally pay more for every-goddamn-thing due to the COL out here.

Going to look at bike 2 in a little bit.
dun dun dun!
Best of luck! I hope it works out. Are you planning on using it for commuting, touring, something else?

Everything and anything basically. I went and looked at the one posted in the classifieds here and also bike 2. Despite the high miles, I preferred bike 2, and negotiated a way better price with the seller. Going to go get it in a couple of days, I'll probably make a post about it later on.

Everything and anything basically. I went and looked at the one posted in the classifieds here and also bike 2. Despite the high miles, I preferred bike 2, and negotiated a way better price with the seller. Going to go get it in a couple of days, I'll probably make a post about it later on.
That's good news!

Back