• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Found near perfect venting waterproof riding setup

netizen

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
Well, I think I finally found the near perfect venting waterproof riding setup. It doesn't need waterproof liners, it's built in. It breathes and vents extremely well and if the rain comes you just close up the zippers and even then it breathes, so your not in a sauna.

There is one small drawback however... Price... this thing is expensive. Makes Aerostich seem relatively cheap.

It's the Klim Badlands Jacket/pants

Klim Badlands Pro Jacket - RevZilla

I'm beginning to ask myself if it's time to really invest in gear that will keep me comfortable in any type of riding conditions.

Anybody know of anything that can compare to this?

Last edited:
You say small drawback,,I would say one rather large drawback...I have to say there,s better value elsewhere...take a look at Clover....still pricey,,,

You say small drawback,,I would say one rather large drawback...I have to say there,s better value elsewhere...take a look at Clover....still pricey,,,

What is clover? Never heard of it.....I don't think I have at least

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Ok I found a clover tekno waterproof jacket. Looks nice but has a removable waterproof liner..and missing the underarm vents to really flow air to the underarm area.

I've been on a mission to find a riding gear solution that does not require stopping to put on a liner or an over suit for waterproof capability while still venting extremely well. I had begun to think none existed until I remembered hearing rtw Doug talking about some Klim riding gear he wore riding the road of bones. So I looked up klim and there it was......and next to it was that staggering price tag.....sigh

Last edited:
Well, I think I finally found the near perfect venting waterproof riding setup. It doesn't need waterproof liners, it's built in. It breathes and vents extremely well and if the rain comes you just close up the zippers and even then it breathes, so your not in a sauna.

There is one small drawback however... Price... this thing is expensive. Makes Aerostich seem relatively cheap.

It's the Klim Badlands Jacket/pants

Klim Badlands Pro Jacket - RevZilla

I'm beginning to ask myself if it's time to really invest in gear that will keep me comfortable in any type of riding conditions.

Anybody know of anything that can compare to this?

BMW Rallye 3 Jacket

BMW Rallye 3 Suit - Jacket - webBikeWorld

When I was looking for suits lately I came across this. Seems it could be a competitor. Slight problem though. Big ole logo on the sleeve. I guess it could be taken off easily enough.

BMW Rallye 3 Jacket

BMW Rallye 3 Suit - Jacket - webBikeWorld

When I was looking for suits lately I came across this. Seems it could be a competitor. Slight problem though. Big ole logo on the sleeve. I guess it could be taken off easily enough.

I wouldn't worry about the logo, BMW makes great gear... I wouldn't have a problem wearing it riding a Honda :D

I'll have to read some reviews on it and see if it would do the job. thanks for the link.

Sorry I haven't chimed in earlier than this. Have you looked at Fieldsheer Hydro Tour Jacket - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore I've been riding with this jacket for several years and in under 80 degree temperatures, is ideal for me. It's vented, rain proof and has a thermal zip out liner for cooler weather. Also, I think some of the RTW riders have sponsors that donate gear for field evaluation and to gain exposure to their products.

Last edited:
That Clover jacket has a built-in waterproof layer just like the Klim (just not the Gore-Tex brand). It has a thermal liner. It still may not be what you're looking for with the venting but it is waterproof.

I would like to share with you my solution for wet weather.

1. Wear normal biking gear with good armour.
2. Wear a 2-sizes-bigger all-waterproof gear (breathable) OVER your biking gear. I wear a waterproof Goretex rainjacket.
3. For the pants, I would recommend the same. Wear a good rain pants over the riding pants.

That's easy and practical coz the rain gear can be folded down (without all that armor). And you can switch in a jiffy.
I put my raingear in my top case, all the time.

I would like to share with you my solution for wet weather.

1. Wear normal biking gear with good armour.
2. Wear a 2-sizes-bigger all-waterproof gear (breathable) OVER your biking gear. I wear a waterproof Goretex rainjacket.
3. For the pants, I would recommend the same. Wear a good rain pants over the riding pants.

That's easy and practical coz the rain gear can be folded down (without all that armor). And you can switch in a jiffy.
I put my raingear in my top case, all the time.

This is what I am currently doing.. it is the next best thing to what I am looking for.
I just saw the Klim badlands jacket on ebay and asked the seller why he was selling it and he said it was too warm for riding in the Georgia climate.. so now I am unsure if it really is the best solution. I am going to see if the Klim dealer near me has my size in stock and if so I want to try it on to see if I think it would be too warm for the summer months in the 90s.

I'm looking for what every rider wants.. a riding solution for all weather conditions, that vents extremely well in temps up to 100 and can be layered to wear in the below freezing temps.. while being completely waterproof all the time (no removable rain liner). I'd be Ok with a thermal liner.

I'm going to research these suggestions some more and see what I can find out. If I do put out over $1000 for a riding suit I want to make sure I will be completely happy with it. I have time for research... I don't have that kind of money to spend right now. Thanks for the suggestions, they have been very helpful.

This is what I am currently doing.. it is the next best thing to what I am looking for.
I just saw the Klim badlands jacket on ebay and asked the seller why he was selling it and he said it was too warm for riding in the Georgia climate.. so now I am unsure if it really is the best solution. I am going to see if the Klim dealer near me has my size in stock and if so I want to try it on to see if I think it would be too warm for the summer months in the 90s.

I'm looking for what every rider wants.. a riding solution for all weather conditions, that vents extremely well in temps up to 100 and can be layered to wear in the below freezing temps.. while being completely waterproof all the time (no removable rain liner). I'd be Ok with a thermal liner.

I'm going to research these suggestions some more and see what I can find out. If I do put out over $1000 for a riding suit I want to make sure I will be completely happy with it. I have time for research... I don't have that kind of money to spend right now. Thanks for the suggestions, they have been very helpful.

Many people swear by Aerostich.
I am a recreational rider, and that rules me out.
:p

I'll be watching the thread. I''m a year round rider. Of course I live in Arkansas now so it will be much easier to deal with the cold months. I just bought a Firstgear Katmandu suit and I really can't imagine wearing it in the summer. It is much heavier than the suit I wear now and I can barely handle the 100 degree summer days. I have pretty much accepted the fact I am going to have to run two suits. One for summer and one for winter. I'll still be interested to see what you find.

BMW Rallye 3 Jacket.

The Rallye 3 uses a waterproof interior liner instead of GoreTex for waterproofness. As a result, the outer garment gets wet and very heavy in a sustained downpour. It is really made for off-road rather than touring use and that is where it shines. It is extremely protective. I have a Rallye 2 and considered wearing it to NewYork recently, but the BMW ComfortShell won out because it is lighter and externally waterproof. In addition, unlike conventional GoreTex, the fabric closes up in cold weather to reduce the breathability and it opens up in hot weather to breathe better. If it had been late fall instead of summer, I might have chosen the Rallye. I have a closet full of suits, and the BMW ComfortShell is my favorite. I took it to Alaska and it suited the conditions from the deserts of Utah to the Atigun Pass. They no longer make it and I am hoping it lasts forever.

Buying a good suit is worth the investment, however being cheap, I usually buy them in "like new, used" condition for as much as half off. I found my black/grey Rallye 2 jacket for $400 in as new condition but it was a year later before I found the matching pants in my size for $250. Until then, I wore it with a set of FirstGear pants. I also have (bought used) the BMW Atlantis waterproof leather suit and the BMW Venting Machine hot weather suit. All are first class. I would not bother to cover up the logos to wear them on a Honda.

As far as Klim, I have never heard anyone who owned one say anything bad about them. I bet the Badlands Pro is incredible gear. Same for a Rukka, though I have never owned either.

Gee Beemer, tell us all about how amazing this BMW ComfortShell is and *then* let us know it's been discontinued. Tease.

Heh, heh! Actually since I buy on the used market, not much of anything has been discontinued there! ComfortShell was replaced by a line called "Tourshell" that features a different membrane (called "C.A.R.E.", whatever that is!). There is still some dealer stock in some places. Also check Amazon, Max BMW, IBMWR Marketplace, and eBay...

A&S BMW Motorcycle Parts and Accessories - Search Results for

Many people swear by Aerostich.
I am a recreational rider, and that rules me out.
:p
that is why i have yet to invest in any all weather suit for hot and Humid climates here in singapore...am using a branded light weight rain gear currently which goes over my regular mesh armoured gear during pouring. Depending on the type of foot wear u use, it can be quite a hassle to put on and take out the rain gear as a result. also the rain gear being loosely fitted flaps crazily during high speed which i worry will not last long. i have not seen purely goretex rain gear for biking ....any brand u recommend? and the perennial question for rain pants. will the inseam leak after some time for gore tex rain gear?

The Rallye 3 uses a waterproof interior liner instead of GoreTex for waterproofness. As a result, the outer garment gets wet and very heavy in a sustained downpour. It is really made for off-road rather than touring use and that is where it shines. It is extremely protective. I have a Rallye 2 and considered wearing it to NewYork recently, but the BMW ComfortShell won out because it is lighter and externally waterproof. In addition, unlike conventional GoreTex, the fabric closes up in cold weather to reduce the breathability and it opens up in hot weather to breathe better. If it had been late fall instead of summer, I might have chosen the Rallye. I have a closet full of suits, and the BMW ComfortShell is my favorite. I took it to Alaska and it suited the conditions from the deserts of Utah to the Atigun Pass. They no longer make it and I am hoping it lasts forever.

Buying a good suit is worth the investment, however being cheap, I usually buy them in "like new, used" condition for as much as half off. I found my black/grey Rallye 2 jacket for $400 in as new condition but it was a year later before I found the matching pants in my size for $250. Until then, I wore it with a set of FirstGear pants. I also have (bought used) the BMW Atlantis waterproof leather suit and the BMW Venting Machine hot weather suit. All are first class. I would not bother to cover up the logos to wear them on a Honda.

As far as Klim, I have never heard anyone who owned one say anything bad about them. I bet the Badlands Pro is incredible gear. Same for a Rukka, though I have never owned either.

Thank you for sharing this information....this is exactly what I'm looking to find out!
I've decided to take a trip to the nearest Klim dealer to try on their gear. BMW gear has always been on the top of my list so I will take a trip to my local BMW dealer as well to try theirs on as well.
I also buy like new used gear as well as some more used gear as I can't afford to spend allot on gear.
I've located a klim Rally 1st gen jacket and pants for about 1/2 price but it is still $1250 plus shipping! The jacket lists for $ 1250 alone new.
I'm still recovering from the sticker shock....lol

that is why i have yet to invest in any all weather suit for hot and Humid climates here in singapore...am using a branded light weight rain gear currently which goes over my regular mesh armoured gear during pouring. Depending on the type of foot wear u use, it can be quite a hassle to put on and take out the rain gear as a result. also the rain gear being loosely fitted flaps crazily during high speed which i worry will not last long. i have not seen purely goretex rain gear for biking ....any brand u recommend? and the perennial question for rain pants. will the inseam leak after some time for gore tex rain gear?

Look out for good trekking rain jackets and pants.
Good goretex ones can cost upwards of 200-300usd and inseams are well made.
Some could be made in China but their QA are very good.

My outer rain jacket fits over my mesh BMW airflow jacket (with armor) like a glove.
There is little or no flapping in the wind.
:D

Back