• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Found the Bike....

Bulitt

Reaction score
Visit site
So I found the bike here in the classifieds that I plan to set up for my second trip to AK this summer If they open the borders. Gonna need some work and a few farkles but that's half the fun, right?

So far I have put about 400 miles on this bike and have to say I am very impressed with its ability to lope along without even breathing hard at 70+ highway speeds. Love the thumper feel of the engine and it reminds me of and old R100GS I used to have. Plenty of low end grunt and just a pleasure to ride.

image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

Last edited:
So I am not sure yet exactly what kind of bags set up I want yet but I do know I need a top box so today went over to Harbor Freight and bought this Pelican knock off case to use as a temporary until I decide what to do permanently. I mounted it with stainless bolts to the Motech rack plate and lined the bottom with tool box liner and I am ready to roll. Probly put bungy buddies on the top corners of the box to be able to tie stuff to. I think I have less than $70 in this so far.....

IMG_3080.JPGIMG_3082.JPGIMG_3083.JPGIMG_3084.JPGIMG_3085.JPGIMG_3086.JPG

Nice bike! I like the cases too. I always thought Pelican style cases had huge advantages over many others. Did you have to install a plate of some type onto the case? Or just a few mount points to catch the pannier frame?

BTW, just to let you know, red is the fastest color but I'm sure your blue one will get the job done! ;)

Nice bike! I like the cases too. I always thought Pelican style cases had huge advantages over many others. Did you have to install a plate of some type onto the case? Or just a few mount points to catch the pannier frame?

BTW, just to let you know, red is the fastest color but I'm sure your blue one will get the job done! ;)
I was looking for a red one......that was my first choice. Had to work with what was available. I like the blue too though.

The post above this is not my bike. A post someone else added for ideas. The top box post is my bike and yes I mounted the top box to a Motech plate that mates with a Motech Street Rack. Really simple.

If you look close at the pics I took appears to be a plate bolted to bottom of case.

So today, the various carriers brought me a Dales Rack (used eBay) Tusk Panniers, SW Motech side racks and a Gididi Nemo 2 chain oiler. Garage day tomorrow.

Installed the new SW Motech Pro Side Racks with the quick disconnect. These quick disconnect mechanisms are pure genius. Just a quarter turn of a screwdriver and each connector pops off so removal and installation of the racks takes about 15 seconds. Got the Tusk medium boxes put together and used locktite on all the hardware. Didn't get around to mounting them on the racks today....maybe this weekend.

Also picked up a used Dales rack on ebay from a guy in California and got it put on today. Making progress......
IMG_3088.JPGIMG_3095.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good! You were lucky to find a Dale’s rack. People that have one rarely want to part with it.

Looking good! You were lucky to find a Dale’s rack. People that have one rarely want to part with it.
Yeah, I was surprised to see it on eBay for sale. Had been listed for 6 days without a single bid. I think his minimum bid was too high. Sent him a message and made a reasonable offer and he took it...

Bonus!

So I got the cases installed today and am pretty pleased with their scale to the bike and the quality of the boxes for the price. As I mentioned before, the SW Motech racks allow you to mount the cases to the rack and remove both in seconds with the quick disconnect on the racks. I like that engineering a lot. These are the medium Tusk panniers which are 27 litres each and the back of the bike is now 32 inches wide.

IMG_3096.JPGIMG_3097.JPGIMG_3098.JPGIMG_3099.JPGIMG_3100.JPGIMG_3101.JPG

Only real issue that I see with your bike is the color. It's not red. Red is faster than blue. Other than that, good looking set up!
People riding to Alaska are not concerned about going fast. What‘s the hurry when you’re on such a great ride?

People riding to Alaska are not concerned about going fast. What‘s the hurry when you’re on such a great ride?
Surveys indicate that Honda Red is 10% faster at stoplights. I think we can all agree that this is an important time to be seen going unbelievably quicker than any other vehicle. You know, to keep up appearances and such.

Wouldn't want anyone thinking we ride scooters. Not that there's anything wrong with that. So what if the 700D has a better windscreen‽

The Canadian border is still closed for vehicle transportation; except for going to Alaska. However, they give you a short time period to drive/ride thru Canada to Alaska and no sightseeing thru Canada is allowed....One sightseer was fined $56,000 Canadian (oops) when he was caught at a ski location (on his way to Alaska)....so going fast thru Canada is a must....no reports on when the Canadian border will be opened again for 'sightseeing'

The Canadian border is still closed for vehicle transportation; except for going to Alaska. However, they give you a short time period to drive/ride thru Canada to Alaska and no sightseeing thru Canada is allowed....One sightseer was fined $56,000 Canadian (oops) when he was caught at a ski location (on his way to Alaska)....so going fast thru Canada is a must....no reports on when the Canadian border will be opened again for 'sightseeing'
Yeah, of course my plans are contingent on the border opening. I have made the trip before so not the end of the world if I don’t get to go this summer. I would like to go up to the D2D rally on the solstice in Dawson if possible. We will see......

Back