• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Found the Bike....

If you led a ride one day in NC at one of the events and I liked your route and asked you to send it to me, how would it come to me and could I save it as a GPX to download into a GPS for that day's ride or save it for the next year's event?
It would come to you as a .GPX file

Scenic uses FURKOT for route planning and saves everything as .GPX files for upload to Scenic. .GPX files seem to be pretty universal.

For the Zumo 396, under "Map and Vehicle Settings" > "Map Detail", how many detail choces are available? Just 3 choices, or are there 5? I looked in the 396 operator manual, but it does not say.

Added some tie down anchor points to my top case today. Looked everywhere locally for them but finally just ordered them from Aerostich.

D3523229-5036-41B6-9F16-DB40B484639E.jpeg

You probably looked at West Marine for footman’s loops. They used to carry them.
Nope, didn’t even think of that..... Pretty obvious now that you mention it. I kept telling the guy at ace....”You know, they are like the loops people use to tie things to kayaks.....like bungee buddies”. Oh well, .....

The loops ate
Added some tie down anchor points to my top case today. Looked everywhere locally for them but finally just ordered them from Aerostich.

View attachment 43841
That is a great modification that I think I’ll do myself. I recently installed a Pelican case on the back of my dual sport. A local hardware store (Do-it, formerly Ace) sells those loops in their “marine” hardware section.E12792FD-63D8-4E1C-848D-D1AD1FDDCE03.jpeg

Last edited:
The loops ate

That is a great idea that I will implement myself. I recently installed a Pelican case on the back of my dual sport. A local hardware store (Do-it, formerly Ace) sells those loops in their “marine” hardware section.View attachment 43845
Aw man.....you got a Ruckus back there? I used to have one of those....I set a speed record on it one day at 32mph......on a slight downhill.......bit of a tailwind.....full tuck....board shorts, flip flops.

Aw man.....you got a Ruckus back there? I used to have one of those....I set a speed record on it one day at 32mph......on a slight downhill.......bit of a tailwind.....full tuck....board shorts, flip flops.
Good eye! We have two Rucki. You’ll see a red one behind the white one if you look closely.

My Ruckus once topped out at an indicated 41 mph with the stock variator but I now have an aftermarket variator that accelerates better but tops out at about 38 mph. We have put about 5,000 miles on each Ruckus.

Good eye! We have two Rucki. You’ll see a red one behind the white one if you look closely.

My Ruckus once topped out at an indicated 41 mph with the stock variator but I now have an aftermarket variator that accelerates better but tops out at about 38 mph. We have put about 5,000 miles on each Ruckus.
More proof that RED is the fastest color ;)

More proof that RED is the fastest color ;)
Hmmm, I’m not sure how 38 mph proves red is fastest. Besides, it’s the same blazing 38 mph top speed on either one. If we wanted speed, we wouldn’t be riding Rucki.

Last edited:
My 35 year old Elite 80 does 44 mph Rollie Free - style all day long. It was painted a sad orange & blue (sorry Gator fans) when I brought it home so during the work of getting it back on the road I painted it original red. It still does the same 44 mph thus casting doubt on the efficacy of red paint on top speed.

So today, I mounted a new Zumo 396 on the Madstad bracket base and hard wired it to the bike. I like that location better than the handlebars because it is in my line of sight and it doesn't swivel when I turn the bars. This new Zumo is a nice little unit with maps of all of North America and lifetime updates via WIFI or your PC. 4.3 inch touch screen, weatherproof, Bluetooth, phone calls, MP3 player, trip advisor, etc. On sale right now at GPSCity.com for $229 and free shipping. Bargain!

Ya know, I should really clean my garage......
Just to close the loop, I did buy the Garmin zumo 396LMT at $229. Thanks for the tip on that deal! That was good pricing, but as of today I see that deal is now gone; the price is now $339. However, they still have some 396 bundle offerings at $249, so that's still good if you have any use for the bundled accessory.

Rather than continue much longer on this GPS tangent to this thread, I'll just say the 396 is an improvement over the 390 in several important areas, but it has some minor quirks and is still not ideal for all my needs. However on the same day I also bought a used Nuvi 550 as a backup (that model is discontinued). The Nuvi 500/550 is still my preferred GPS for backwoods exploring. I have one old worn out, retired Nuvi 500, and three more Nuvi 500/550s on hand just in case one dies.

Just to close the loop, I did buy the Garmin zumo 396LMT at $229. Thanks for the tip on that deal! That was good pricing, but as of today I see that deal is now gone; the price is now $339. However, they still have some 396 bundle offerings at $249, so that's still good if you have any use for the bundled accessory.

Rather than continue much longer on this GPS tangent to this thread, I'll just say the 396 is an improvement over the 390 in several important areas, but it has some quirks and is still not ideal for all my needs. However on the same day I also bought a used Nuvi 550 as a backup (that model is discontinued). The Nuvi 500/550 is still my preferred GPS for backwoods exploring. I have one old worn out, retired Nuvi 500, and three more Nuvi 500/550s on hand just in case one dies.
Yeah, it is a cheap, basic GPS with maps already loaded. Does what I need it to do. I have since created a couple of routes in Honda Trip Planner, (a super simple free planner that uses Rever and works well with my Goldwing Nav) and they import as GPX files flawlessly. No need for Basecamp or additional maps. For my needs it was worth the price.

Added some hand guards today for wind and rain. EBay cheapies....but they work and fit well. At full lock they come close but don’t hit the winglets or the screen on the Madstad. I like them. Not the best lighting....but you get the idea.

19022FBF-6987-4C4A-9013-FD5BEB1DDA00.jpegEB444160-B89A-479A-8BF4-5F260BF88408.jpegA6855277-2209-4369-8C98-E394113B5BA1.jpeg55515228-1C7E-4C77-9843-B3BD61CAD9F0.jpeg

This will be my last post in this thread. A young man in Arkansas has bought my NC. Really wasn’t planning to sell it but as the saying goes, “he made me an offer I couldn’t refuse”.....and so, well you know! Not sure what is next....eyeing a VFR12X DCT or maybe a Tracer. Dunno.....

I will have an almost new Corbin seat and a Dale’s Rack in the flea mkt if anybody needs them...

Back